Whats the best way to treat Pinkeye?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have a couple cases of Pinkeye to show up. What is the best way to treat it and then to prevent it? I read somewhere on here that flies spread it, the flies have been terrible here. Also I don't have a head catch to catch them in so I thought about one of those Dart extension poles. Has anyone ever used one and if so, how well did it work? Thanks in advance, Kim in Georgia :?:

Step 1 is always going to be "Restrain the animal", so until you can do that, you are pretty well out of luck.

LA200 and a topical spray or ointment in the eyes will knock it quickly. But it is 5-7 shots for a cow. They aren't going to stay in range for a pole.

You can vaccinate, but you go back to restraining them again and I've not found the vaccine to be all that effective.

Controlling your flys and clipping your pastures will do as much as anything to prevent it, but you're still going to have some.

Take couple of gates and tie one end to a fence with some play in it.
lead cow with feed into the V of the gates, close gates put a 2X4 in behind her with a couple of strong guys to hold in place.
If the pinkeye isnt to far along you can put pen g or mastitis meds right in the eye and that will clear it up.

Sounds like you have gone to far, if thats the case pick up some la200 for the farm supply and shoot er up.

For the record I have a head gate. But have leases that dont, in things as simple as pinkeye its not hard to restrain em.

Now if your cattle are stupid? Well you on your own....

P

Kim, i have treated cows before I bought my squeeze chute. It depended on which pasture they were in, but I would rope the cow and tie her to either a tree or a tractor. I would pull up all the slack so the cow couldn't move around too much. Once they know they can't get away, they USUALLY settle down. Make sure you give enough medicine the first time because you will have a very hard time getting close enough to rope her a second time. I highly recommend putting some sort of patch over the eye to protect it from the sun, flies, and any other irritation. Good luck. :cboy:

Use Beefmaster cattle... best prevention around... neighbors have black angus and I watch them with their eye patches and our girls on the common fence lines don't catch it (knock on wood here)...

in your shoes at the very least get some aureomycin crumbles and mix it in some cheap feed,, put some in their minerals,, if you can get them up in a corral or barn take a pump sprayer and mix some boric acid or a small dab of bleach and soak their eye balls :cowboy: easy on the bleach

Latest posts