• topical treatment in the eye

• antibiotic in rump + topical eye treatment

• antibiotic in eye + topical

• vaccine

• other

• intramuscular

• intramuscular + topical

Results are only viewable after voting.
Old timer solution here was to feed about two double handfuls of corn a day as a preventative measure.

I've had one case in the last ten years that I can think of, only option was like GoWyo, dart gun and draxxin. Works wonders, but only for special occasions, that stuff is like divorces. Expensive, but worth it.

Non DDT fly non spray control products available in the USA You hang this across a gate that they go through. You probably can get these in England. These are found on Amazon.

Prozap Bovi-Rub Cattle Fly Control Backrubber

44400_S_vvs_000.jpg

Ph White Face Flyps for Cattle Rub
41NEOr3jKIL.jpg

JustiFLY Champion USA Feedthrough Cattle Fly Control | Non-Toxic Larvicide. Controls All Four Fly Species That Affect Cattle. Over 50 Million Head Treated also used with horses
71hh31IxTJL._AC_SL1186_.jpg

I'd like to hear how you do that I thought they banned DDT years ago, unless you mean controlling flies using repellent on cattle which we do use using a product called flypor which is quite effective and we also keep cattle away from areas known to have lots of flies such as rivers until circumstances improve.
It's actually pretty easy flies show up under the same conditions every year. Rabon blocks, Martin's Permethrin 1% Synergized Pour-On for Cattle great out of pump up sprayer., Cylence Pour-On Insecticide, Saber pour etc.
Pour on ivomec worming at the start of fly season is good for 21 days.

Again its a management issue stop the flies before they start or spend your time doctoring infected cows.
I haven't had a case of pinkeye in decades.
Just easier to handle the problem on the front end.
I remember the day of dipping cattle for ticks and skeeters and flies. It made the flies just healthier, as we used the same dip over and over.
Cattle management today is really easy with a wide range of long term treatments for cattle today compared to the sixties.

If I catch it early I will give a shot in the neck area and cover the eye with a patch.

If caught too late I cover with a patch and let time do its thing.

Seems they recover about the same with or without a shot if not caught very early.

My neighbor treats all of them that show any type of watery eye. Topical, injection and patch. They seem to heal the same as mine. Plus he wastes a lot of money treating animals that aren't dealing with pink eye I think. There's more than one reason for watery eyes IMO.

If I catch it early I will give a shot in the neck area and cover the eye with a patch.

If caught too late I cover with a patch and let time do its thing.

Seems they recover about the same with or without a shot if not caught very early.

My neighbor treats all of them that show any type of watery eye. Topical, injection and patch. They seem to heal the same as mine. Plus he wastes a lot of money treating animals that aren't dealing with pink eye I think. There's more than one reason for watery eyes IMO.
You've never had a case of of an animal going blind then or losing an eye when not treating them with any medication?

You've never had a case of of an animal going blind then or losing an eye when not treating them with any medication?
Personally I have not. My cousin has had that happen. I think covering the problem eye asap to keep flies from spreading it to the second eye is of the utmost importance.

I have watched one pop the white head in its eye on a corral board. That was pretty intense to see.

I don't have a ton of animals, but deal with pinkeye every year somewhat. Some years worse than others. What works for me may not work for everyone else. Just sharing my approach.

Don't forget, @devonian is in the UK.... different restrictions on some cattle stuff and different things available... Do they have TSC in UK?
No we have Mole valley lol used to be for farmers but now its 'country shopping for all' :rolleyes:

Attachments

• th-2515927910.jpg
    th-2515927910.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 4