Pink eye

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
We had some eyes to doctor. B was going to just dart them but there is something wrong with his dart gun. The darts just bounced off the first two. So we ran the entire bunch into the corral. Sorted off the ones we needed and ran them through the chute which turned out to be full of yellowjackets. No people or cattle were killed. And I didn't need all that shin on the back of my hand. The bark on those lodge pole pine poles is a little hard on skin when you have a 500 pound red heifer bouncing around. We finished up and were walking out the gate and heard some shooting. Turned out to be my wife. No people or cattle were killed but a fairly nice size rattle snake met his demise.

P8283095.JPG

Sounds and looks like a typical day working cattle. Any yelling or cussing?
No, yelling or cussing involved. Didn't even say ouch. Just said I don't need all that skin anyway. Not much more than an hour to capture 105 calves, sort off 7, and put them down the chute. Got all done and had to run up on the hill to check out the wife's snake. She thought that she had just wounded it. But it had been mortally wounded. She has a little Black Widow pistol that will fit in the palm of your hand. It is a 5 shot 22 revolver. She shot the snake 5 times.

Oh dang! Hope you heal up quick.
Wasps are a HUGE chute problem around here. They are a constant battle. When I bought an upgraded chute the dealer couldn't believe I was asking about holes being all over it and what they are for. I explained if it wasn't a necessary hole it needed to be filled with at least a cap or foam so I needed to know if they were necessary before I took care of them. He hadn't heard hornets/yellow jackets being a problem before. No matter who's ranch we are working cattle at it's always a problem unless it's the middle of winter.
A rattle snake too! Sheesh y'all had a day!
Glad no one was seriously injured.

We had some eyes to doctor. B was going to just dart them but there is something wrong with his dart gun. The darts just bounced off the first two. So we ran the entire bunch into the corral. Sorted off the ones we needed and ran them through the chute which turned out to be full of yellowjackets. No people or cattle were killed. And I didn't need all that shin on the back of my hand. The bark on those lodge pole pine poles is a little hard on skin when you have a 500 pound red heifer bouncing around. We finished up and were walking out the gate and heard some shooting. Turned out to be my wife. No people or cattle were killed but a fairly nice size rattle snake met his demise.

View attachment 34279
Wasps have been bad here.

I got stung a couple times 2 weeks ago at B's corral. He got one here today. I will take revenge on the bees in the morning.

A rattle snake too! Sheesh y'all had a day!

Heck that was all after 6:30 this evening. This morning and into early afternoon we caught B's registered cows out of a 160 acre pasture which has a river in the middle. Trailed them 1/2 mile down the road to his corral. Sorted, loaded and hauled a semi load and 5 trailer loads two trips each about 10-12 miles to a different pasture. He was coming earlier to work these calves but they had 2 pairs down at the river which turned out to be more than planned on (his story I wasn't along for that adventure). He said the new young lady who he just hired got stung two times by bees and she can cuss like a sailor.

If we are talking injuries sustained whilst treating pinkeye about 3 weeks ago this old crush' door sprang open when a yearling (without its head caught) was trying to jump through the front of the crush when somehow the door sprang open and smacked me in the side of the head near the front as I was standing to the right refilling a syringe. It should be impossible for the door to come open and we're still not sure how it happened but it was a good smack on the head but weirdly somehow it didn't hurt at all it was just a major shock. All the pinkeye was cleared that day but I came down with the worst black eye.

Attachments

• IMG_20230727_120032885.jpg
    IMG_20230727_120032885.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 6
I usually yell and holler most when my wife is helping for some reason. By myself, I take such injuries in stride.
She tries, but always seems to let one get by or hit a gate in some way to get me hurt.
I guess I want her to know how badly I need sympathy.
The other day she was holding an unsecured cattle panel. When one tried to dive under it, it drove the top back into my mouth and nose. My worse injury was I yelled so hard I hurt my voice box.

I'm sorry about all these injuries. Being at close quarters with large animals can be dangerous. Just being near a cow when she jumps away from a dominant cow you can get knocked down and trampled

This is how I avoid Pinkeye in my cows. Horrible great big flies called Cluster F flies are all around cattles eyes. Horses too.
100_2315.JPG
Yes, they robbed a bank but they ate all the money because it is green.
1nNqK69bDY-2.png

A lot of the older cows around here here are blind in one eye. This 20 year old bull was blind from pinkeye but he could still see the cows.
100_2028.JPG