Eye Problem

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave Clarkson

Reaction score
I have had three cows in the past couple of years have this problem. Part of the eye lid was hanging on the others so we thought they be scratching on a metal post or something and cut it. But, this cow doesnt seem to have gash like the others. I just assumed they were itching and was scratching. The first one this year was in early april and very few flies are around......But there may have been some. I am just wondering if there is some kind of wound before hand and the cow scratches because it is itching and cuts it. maybe some kind of fly larvae gets in there? She was wormed about a month ago. I havnt been able to spray because of rain.

any info would be greatly appreciated.IMG_8006.jpg

Just a guess on my part but looks like something got stuck in the lower portion of the eye which then led to the swelling and maybe infection, rather than an acute injury. thankful I've not seen that before. How'd you treat the previous cows did they heal up alright?

Just a guess on my part but looks like something got stuck in the lower portion of the eye which then led to the swelling and maybe infection, rather than an acute injury. thankful I've not seen that before. How'd you treat the previous cows did they heal up alright?
I have a few like this. But, they usually have the bottom part of the eye lid hanging down because it was cut. They heal up just fine. This will be the fifth cow this has happened to. I could see an injury for one or two but having 5 seems like there is another problem. I sent a pic to the vet. We will see what he says.

Latest posts