What y’all think about these bags 5 year old herford cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
they look functional and do not have any fat in them.

Thanks for comment I'm no expert I'm trying to learn all I can about my cattle as I go. It's been a lot of trial and error on some things. I was told Herefords are bad about having bag problems

stage of lactation is critical in judging udders.
They look like they will stay up out of the way and no problems when not in use.
The real test is the first week after calving and I see no reason to expect any problems.

Son of Butch said:
stage of lactation is critical in judging udders.
They look like they will stay up out of the way and no problems when not in use.
The real test is the first week after calving and I see no reason to expect any problems.

These two are supposed to calve nov-Dec according to vet. But I had one that was supposed to calve in oct and she gave me a surprise calf last week

The udders look very functional but since they are dry it is hard to tell. The best time to judge is 1-3 weeks after they calve and any edema has gone out and how the udder is supported up under the cow. Teat size and if there is any major uneveness in the udder....like back teats hanging real low, or one side obviously bigger or more swollen like she has mastitis. Sometimes when a cow has one or more quarters that are non-functioning, they will get larger, and more swollen and even hot as they have mastitis. Sometimes they will have it one year and not the next....some mastitis is environmental and can be caused by real wet conditions etc.
After a couple of weeks, judge not only the udder, but how the calf looks. Some udders that are not perfect will still do a fine job of providing milk for a calf to grow real good. Not saying to perpetuate that but functional is more valuable than picture perfect. We have some 3 teat beef cows that do a bang up job of raising their calves.... but a quarter that is large and swollen and even hot to touch, is an indication of possible problems down the road.

I would not get too worried about the udders until you can really see what it looks like when it is in "working condition". They don't look bad to me, I've seen alot worse. And don't panic over what looks like some extra teats, many are non-functional, and just look funny. On dairy cattle, they are removed when the calf is very young. When you are keeping calves, you try to be more picky, but on bought cows, you take what you get and cull what doesn't look good or doesn't work, or don't buy if they don't look good to start with.
Cows look pretty decent so I think you will see much better what their udders are like when they calve.

Some udders don't look so good after calving, but the calves do well.
Experts have pointed out the big tits or bad bags can lead to mastitis now, and reduced milk production later.
So like Jan said the calf is the final answer.

I want to see picture at time of calving. Not 24 hours before and not 24 hours after. Then I can give decent opinion. All that matters is that calf can get good drink within 2 hours of birth with zero assistance.

Latest posts