What we did with extra milk

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We are still in the searching process for our family cow, but in the meantime we are blessed with a great neighbor who lets us milk her Jersey Holstein mix and KEEP THE MILK! This cow is HUGE and produces a tremendous amount of milk so we often end up with extra milk and whey. The whey usually goes to the pigs(they cant get enough) but we decided to make some cheese with some of the milk. Hope yall enjoy and maybe it will be useful to someone :)

[youtube]https://youtu.be/8idYp0buQFk[/youtube]

They post on Back Yard Herds and it has been a trip to follow their first pig dealings. Once I get my calves up in size on the nurse cows I think I will be milking some for the house and am going to try this "easy" cheese recipe.

Howdy @farmerjan! Fancy meetin you here :)

Its really great and simple...the only issue we have with it is the fact that it doesnt melt like a hard cheese. Other than that it is great for sandwiches and salads type thing.

langfamilyfarmsla":2ks75vei said:
Howdy @farmerjan! Fancy meetin you here :)

Its really great and simple...the only issue we have with it is the fact that it doesnt melt like a hard cheese. Other than that it is great for sandwiches and salads type thing.

Good to see you here too. It's good forum for some serious.... and not so serious..... beef topics mostly. I enjoy it. Thanks to @greybeard for getting me over here.

Cheese and whey could give you additional income if you sell them. It's great that you have extra milk become some of my cows have few milk. Good luck to your business.

Latest posts