What would you recommend to start an 8 year old boy?

Help Support CattleToday:

~Tomboy~":301bbtf1 said:
Don't let some of this forum put you off to the possibility of the Dexter breed. I have been raising them for about 12 years here in Texas. What you put into an animal is what you will get out of an animal. My neighbor who used to have a commercial herd has now switched over to Dexters. The large framed cattle are just having a tough time with the past drought conditions in several states making more folks looking at smaller framed cattle.
Here is a link to an old video put out buy the Wall Street Journal, while I don't necessary believe all that is said the kids sure are having a great time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De3XjqPVa0g

I'll try and send you a pm

Barb
Except the dexters won't bring more $$ than normal sized cattle and you will have hard time to give away the surplus dexter cattle for free. I have seen some ads on Craigslist that they are selling Dexter beef for cheaper.... I see an increase of culling rates on the Dexters in recently years and many Dexter breeders are pulling the bulls out & selling the open cows for cheaper. Also just because they are small, doesn't mean they are gentle or are safe with the children. To be honestly, Dexter cattle and other hobby breeds are bad breeds for newbies to start with.

Fire Sweep Ranch":1xzqmbqn said:
I am coming from a totally different mindset here. Having an 8 year old myself (and a 11 and 16 year old), and each kid had their own cattle, I would say start him with a beef heifer. He will get attached, and not want to sell. Why not let him build a great bond, and foster the love for raising cattle? We bought our 8 year old son a 6 month old heifer, and halter broke her. He absolutely loves her, and showed her last year as a yearling (never won, but did not care since he raised her and loved her regardless). She calved this fall, and he has worked with that calf now. We steered the calf, and he will be sold to a church family we know to raise for beef. My son is OK with that. Since his heifer is just average, we both decided to put an embryo in her for her calf this fall. My son got to pick which embryo he wanted (out of the collection we have), and he is excited because his cow (Jackie) has been sexed as having a heifer embryo calf in October. Since you have such a small place to start with, you are limited on your animals to keep, so why not just start with a beef heifer and build from there.
In our household, the kids know that all bulls/steers belong to the ranch and the money earned from selling pays for the feed, taxes and grass. All heifers the kids get to keep, breed and sell or show or whatever they want to do. My oldest daughter has built up quite a fund in her account already. She now owns 9 cows ON HER OWN that she bought with her own money or raised from her cows. My middle daughter owns 5 heifers/cow on her own also. My son just has the one so far. They have all learned great money management skills because of this lesson, and we started each of them before they were 9.

X2... I gather that the show program isn't real popular on this board, but done the right way it's for the kids, not just the banners. Always remember that, and you'll never regret the good times you'll share and the life lessons they'll learn. Our oldest was ADD when he was younger, and it's been really good for him.

Latest posts