what weed killer do i need?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hello all,
I am new here and just getting started with cattle. We have bought a few head of hol/angus cross steer and grazed them on grass and resold them at the sale barn. But need to address the quality of forage.
We have 25 acs in western Wa. Pasture was a tree farm that has been tilled and reseeded about 5yrs ago. We have a weed problem and i am looking for a second opition. I had soil test done low on N,K and P is ok. If had to guess it would be 50/50 weed and grass.
Was recommended to me to use weed free zone plus lawn fertilizer from a nursery who performed soil test.
Before I spend that kind of money would like to hear some other opinions or experiences. Thanks

Skip the lawn chemicals for that much grass. The weed killer in those weed/feed mixes are just 2,4D for the most part. For that much it would be much cheaper and more effective to spray. That being said, it may need nothing more than mowing in the spring. Mowing will often knock the weeds back and allow the grass to fill in thicker. I'd also see if you can get a county extention agent out and take a look. A lot of those weeds may still be good cattle feed.

M.Magis, 75% of weeds are dadelions. Never thought about having a county extention agent take a look.
The concern with spraying is getting a dry day in W. WA in the early spring.
The person I talked to at the nursery did say that spraying would be more effective but the cost from him to spray and then fertilize was almost double. My way of thinking was to weed/feed at same time, I guess I need to rethink this and do some more price checking.
I was online checking on 2-4D and it said not for sale to WA from two different suppliers. Any one from WA, what do you use to control weeds? Thanks

About the only thing I see that you can do is get the taller weeds with a rope wick using round up. They seem to outgrow everything in the spring time. But if the winter grasses get ahead of it, then you will not be able to touch it. Things like Johnson Grass, and Curly Dock can spring up fast in areas where water might stand.

bighorn":c3tiyizl said:
M.Magis, 75% of weeds are dadelions. Never thought about having a county extention agent take a look.
The concern with spraying is getting a dry day in W. WA in the early spring.
The person I talked to at the nursery did say that spraying would be more effective but the cost from him to spray and then fertilize was almost double. My way of thinking was to weed/feed at same time, I guess I need to rethink this and do some more price checking.
I was online checking on 2-4D and it said not for sale to WA from two different suppliers. Any one from WA, what do you use to control weeds? Thanks
You might check that again. Many places allow for you to buy 2,4-d without an applicator's lic as long as you buy it in less than a 1 gal container--meaning you can buy as many 1 qt sizes as you wish. Texas is like that, and a quick search shows Eastern Washington is like that, but I don't know about your county and your general area.
http://agr.wa.gov/FP/Pubs/docs/161-Rest ... ternWA.pdf

Remedy is labeled for dandelion control, and can be bought most places without an applicator's lic.
http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld7NR005.pdf

But as someone else said, call your county ag agent.

Without knowing exactly where you are in Western Washington I am not sure of your sources of ag chemicals. But you can certainly buy and use 24D in Western Washington. The most commonly found brand is Weedmaster. 24D will control the majority of broadleaf annuals including dandelions. South of Seattle I would go to one of the Wilco stores. They have stores in Battleground, Kelso, Chehalis, and Gig Harbor. North of Seattle there are farm supply stores that certainly carry 24D in Mt Vernon, Lynden, and other places that I don't know. Let me know your general location and I will get you a name and number of someone who can help you out

greybeard thanks for the link.
Thanks Dave
The pasture is in Winlock. I am in Kelso.
Lonnie

bighorn":2p1fbqe1 said:
greybeard thanks for the link.
Thanks Dave
The pasture is in Winlock. I am in Kelso.
Lonnie

I would go to the Wilco in Chehalis. Talk with George if he is there. The Kelso store is closer to you but the Chehalis store is just an agronomy store. Fertilizer, seed, and pesticides only. George has been there forever and really knows his stuff. I am a certified crop adviser and have been doing this stuff for year but I still learn something new nearly every time I talk to George.

Thanks Dave, I will look him up.
I found this on a web search about lawn fertilizer use on grazing pastures.

Is there a lawn fertilizer that is safe for horses?
Q:I was wondering if you could recommend a commercial fertilizer for that includes an agent for weed and crabgrass control that would be safe for horses. This would be for my home lawn. Although our horse lives on a nearby farm, he is brought to the house on occasion to graze.

A:No fertilizers or weed control products that are labeled for lawn use should be used on grasses that are used for grazing. They are not labeled for pasture use and it is illegal to use these products on pastures or lawns that are used for grazing.

Lawn fertilizers are frequently time-released products. The nitrogen is often encapsulated to allow a slow release of fertilizer. Slow release nitrogen fertilizers can remain in the soil for many weeks. Nitrogen is toxic and horses should not graze in areas that have received fertilizers marketed for lawns.

Lawn weed control products also cannot be used on grasses that are being grazed either. The products have not been subjected to the rigorous testing that is required when the products are used for pastures.

If you truly need to graze your lawn, then you should manage it as a pasture and only use agricultural fertilizers and herbicides that are labeled for pasture use.

Answer provided by Donna Foulk, former Senior Agriculture Program Coordinator, Rutgers Cooperative Extension.

Latest posts