what weed killer do i need?

Help Support CattleToday:

uscott

Reaction score
We spent most of Friday planting for winger grazing/hunting. We mixed rye grass, clover, bermuda(for next year) oats, and turnips. The pasture really needs to be sprayed next spring and i wanted to know what i could spray that would kill the weeds but not the stuff planted or the summer forage.???? does this exist??

I think that the clover will be the problem it is a broadleaf plant and all the weed killers I am aware of will kill clover.

Your still out of luck. The rye and bermuda is a grass, and clover is a legume. Yes Pricefarm you are correct.

The only thing you might get away with is using Prowl very late winter or very early spring. That will control annual weed seeds but I would want everything that has been planted, up and growing.

Sizmic

Your information does not say what part of the country you are in and most importantly what are the target weeds you wish to control. I use crimson clover here in Northeast Texas and spray with 2,4-D after the it has gone to seed. I used some Weedmaster in June this year because 2,4-D was not potent enough for Carolina horsenettle and western ragweed. We will see how my clover comes back.

Butyrac 200 (2,4DB) is a broadeaf herbicide that won't kill legumes. It will kill off the turnips, but I doubt there are any left next spring anyways.

Bout the only thing you can use to be very effective is 2-4-D Ester and it will thin you clover down, but not completely kill it all. Everything else I have ever used that I got good results with completely decimated the clover. If you want to do a good job use Grazon P+D, and reseed the clover in the early spring.

Grazon P+D usually works best for me in NW Louisiana. What do you guru's recommend for spraying fencerows? The target weeds would be chinese tallow,privet hedge, and small pine trees, and some very big briars???? thanks

coalburner":14hbdsqv said:
Grazon P+D usually works best for me in NW Louisiana. What do you guru's recommend for spraying fencerows? The target weeds would be chinese tallow,privet hedge, and small pine trees, and some very big briars???? thanks

If you want the best then get Surmount. It will even kill the cedars, but will spare the grass. It is not cheap though, but you will get results.

http://www.dowagro.com/range/products/surmount.htm

jltrent":zhknbun8 said:
coalburner":zhknbun8 said:

If you want the best then get Surmount. It will even kill the cedars, but will spare the grass. It is not cheap though, but you will get results.

http://www.dowagro.com/range/products/surmount.htm
I really like surmount but you need to take extra care with it. If there are any trees you don;t want to kill you need to stay well away from them.

Using grazon will kill off the broad leaf plants growing now but also has a residual affect and will stay in the ground for up to 2 years. if i was going to replant clover in the spring i would not use a product with ant residual control because it will keep the clover from coming up. A lower rate of 2-4D will work when weeds are small. it will stunt the clover some but the clover will bounce back fast if the stand was good before being sprayed. My experiences with 2-4DB or Butyrac have not been very good. The product will only kill a few weeds and most of those need to be under 3 in tall.

in my opinion it is all dependent on what you are willing to sacrifice because 2-4D is going to knock down most of your clover and will affect your turnips dependent on when you spray because if you go with the pendimethelin in prowl h20 you will knock out the bermuda grass that was planted if it was seeded variety as well as most of the seeds that germinate come spring. As far as the grazon residual goes it should only remain in the soil for about 6 months at most if the right bacteria are present in the soil.

Cut it often enough with your choice of brush hog and fertilize it often enough and the weeds will get crowded out by the grasses.

You cannot spray a mixed pasture or hay field without killing something - pretty straight forward.

Either that or kill it all - work it down and then go from there.

Most of the time you cut weeds in the hay cows will eat it and it gives them more than some of the grasses.

If it is pasture graze it early and hard - in small sections - and the cows will eat most of the weeds and be better off for it.

It is not rocket science - it is management and sometimes spraying is NOT the answer

Best to all

Bez

coalburner":t4kndhu8 said:
Add some remedy to the mix.

I agree with Snake a dense aggressive turf is the best way to prevent weeds, mechanical methods work dependent on the specific weeds. what weeds are you having a problem with?

Latest posts