What to do with an ugly bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Tod Dague

Reaction score
He just finished his feed test and turned out ugly. He grew well but we are waiting for the ultrasound results. Anyone ever eat a yearling bull before? Are they good eating?

I would imagine with the quality of stock you raise Tod that they can't be too ugly. You may just be overly critical. They don't have to be a beauty queen to help alot of people. Probably alot of texas people on here.

Sorry I didn't answer your question. I have a friend who has butchered three of four and said they were fine. If you are worried about it grind the whole bull and have " whole hog sausage"

I will get some pics up very soon. Plenty of nuts, guts, and butt. But his top line and heart girth is no good.

OK here he is.
5_8_05_bulls_009.jpg

5_8_05_bulls_021.jpg

5_8_05_bulls_023.jpg

This is the bull calf that is in my avatar.

This is the quickest response time that I have ever had with any of my post. :D

He'll never be a national champion. What did he weigh ? When will you get the carcass data? His flaw is just easy to see. If he didn't have any nuts but a stout top everyone on here would clap and cheer for the greatest bull mankind has ever known. They all have flaws.

Tod Dague":180jvybb said:
He just finished his feed test and turned out ugly. He grew well but we are waiting for the ultrasound results. Anyone ever eat a yearling bull before? Are they good eating?

Tod, don't you know beauty is in the eye of the beholder? If he had good performance, is sound and fertile, there's probably a cowherd or two in Texas that he could help.

But I understand completely if you can't stand to sell him with your name on him. There's always the sale barn option; bulls are bringing pretty good prices lately. Or wait for the ultrasound data before you decide whether to make 'burger or steaks out of him. Higher quality grade beef is usually more tender. He'd make a lot hamburger to share with your family. Good luck....

ollie":fajbg5op said:
He'll never be a national champion. What did he weigh ? When will you get the carcass data? His flaw is just easy to see. If he didn't have any nuts but a stout top everyone on here would clap and cheer for the greatest bull mankind has ever known. They all have flaws.

He was 68 at birth and 1216 at a year on a high roughage diet. He was one of the biggest in the pen.

Why don't you price him and see if someone is interested. What is his weight , epd's, 0to 60 speed, fuel economy, etc.

Frankie":10w9mqde said:
But I understand completely if you can't stand to sell him with your name on him.

That is exactly it. Figure when he is on the plate no one will know that he was an ugly bull. Just didn't know if being in tacked would affect tenderness or taste. I know that they typically do not marble as well.

ollie":3kjlc2y7 said:
Why don't you price him and see if someone is interested. What is his weight , epd's, 0to 60 speed, fuel economy, etc.

BW -3.4 ww 37 yw 74 milk 20 tm 38 ced 9 cetm 8 stay 13 marb .06 rea -.16 ft -.01

Does he have a good pedigree? You'll have to tell me because I am pretty unfamilar with Red Angus. He sure has some great scrotal growth. I think you could find someone who would be happy to buy him. If you don't feel comfortable selling him I would bet he would taste great. We butchered an 11 month old bull that injured him self riding other bulls. Ground him into hamburger. It is very good. I geuss I am trying to say don't sell him if you would be uncomfortable with someone knowing he was from your farm.

I butchered one at 825# once. A red baldie. The meat was excellent at that size. I daresay even intact, that if you have the kind of quality I suspect you do, since he is a good British breed, that he probably has more marbling than a lot of continental steers, plus some tenderness genes to boot! (Enough commas and run on sentence there)

I had a 1500lb, 22 month old fleck bull break his leg 2 days before our sale, butchered him and he is fine. If you sell him you will probably be doing somebody a big favor over most of the sale barn stuff that they would take home. Just price him accordingly, and realize you are not doing a disservice by selling a sound, growthy bull, we all have seen alot uglier stuff bring some good money. I sell two hundred bulls a year and am amazed at what some people point to in the steer pen and ask "Why did you cut him?".

have a friend that raises a few bulls each year with his butcher steers for people that have had a heart problem. they need more lean meat

You wanna' eat him?

Go right ahead - he will be fine.

Done it before - I'll do it again.

Bez

I'll admit by looking at your avatar that I would have thought he would end up looking better than this. He started out as a great looking calf. I have another option for you though. He isn't totally bad. Think about selling him as a breeding bull but at a discounted price. There are a lot of small herds out there that need a bull but can't afford/justify a pricey bull for their "heinz 57" cows. I did this a lot starting out. They would show me what they had. Couldn't afford the ones I really liked but got some of the genetics by using their poorer ones they sold me at a lower price. Haven't done too bad this way.

Latest posts