What to do with an ugly bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Eat him! There are enough animals being used for breeding with faults, why perpetuate them?

dun

Know a guy who buys only the junkiest critters around from the sale barn. This bull would definitely improve his herd drastically. Tod would be doing him a favor to sell him this bull. :D

watcha want for him?
i need a bull for fall breeding of a few hiefers, will dispose of it come spring as i have a nice young bull that should be ready come spring time, in the meantime i am bullless

Tod,
Just curious what his pedigree is????? We have had some of those that are pinched behind the shoulders and I just hate it.....especially when it happens with those that have the numbers to walk and talk along with the performance. You can PM me if you'd like.
Kelli

tell ya what Mr. Dague, I would keep him around... put him somewhere as a clean up bull, and I'd bet he turns out just fine after being on grass. He looks about 10,000% better than the charolais ahead of him in the one picture. I would also say that he looks alot of the way he does from being pushed on feed and being in the lot... he is fairly narrow chested, and very pot bellied....

KB":3apg3ui3 said:
Tod,
Just curious what his pedigree is????? We have had some of those that are pinched behind the shoulders and I just hate it.....especially when it happens with those that have the numbers to walk and talk along with the performance. You can PM me if you'd like.
Kelli

Here is his pedigree. http://www.redangus.org/cgi-bin/extped.4ge?965739

I just want to say thanks for all the comments.

For a commercial guy starting out, this looks like an excellent opportunity to upgrade the genetics in his herd. Bulls and cows do not reproduce themselves very often, they reproduce the average of their lineage. Sure, everyone wants to produce above the average of the ancestry and raise the bar to new heights, but look at the bright side.......... with this guy that should be fairly easy to do! :D I'd sell him unless your freezer is empty, as he will likely produce someone a host of good commercial animals.

MY":3roqfxw5 said:
For a commercial guy starting out, this looks like an excellent opportunity to upgrade the genetics in his herd. Bulls and cows do not reproduce themselves very often, they reproduce the average of their lineage. Sure, everyone wants to produce above the average of the ancestry and raise the bar to new heights, but look at the bright side.......... with this guy that should be fairly easy to do! :D I'd sell him unless your freezer is empty, as he will likely produce someone a host of good commercial animals.

Maybe to market the calves, but sure not as any replacements. Why would you want to breed in a weak topline into your cow herd?

dun

That's it just to peddle sale barn calves he'd be a real decent bull, and there are lots of folks that do exactly that. Would I want that fault in my herd? No, but it likely may never manifest itself ever again, and probably very occasionally at worst. He's a well bred little bull and I bet there are not many; if any, in the first 3 or 4 generations that manifest this same fault. I'm betting he wouldn't produce it with regularity even within the Red Angus breed. The bigger problem is down the line 2, 3, or 10 genrations when it might surface again. I'd also bet his sire or dam will produce this fault again somewhere down the line again.

For a small operator who is crossing breeds though, the likelyhood of this fault becoming a major problem in his herd is pretty slim. I'd still sell him Mr. Dague, he would no doubt be an upgrade over what some guys are using. One man's cull is another man's pride and joy. ;-)

Latest posts