What could go wrong?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Being on this board and seeing all the nice cattle and discussions about pretty good management, as a whole, can make you forget the other side of the industry. Here is a reminder. šŸ˜‚

This area has had good rain and is in good shape. People are cutting hay and cattle are wading in grass up and down the the road. The quail are calling and trying to pair up whixh is usually a sign of the good times. I pull up to the gate and see the pasture conditions and I'm not going to lie... I rushed to judgement. Then I see some big framey calves with nuts hanging, some dogey looking calves, and then this to round it out.

I tried looking for another calf in tow but no luck. She either doesn't have one or it's one if the scrubs running around.

This is the definition of more is not always better.

20240525_083608.jpg

20240525_083541.jpg

This is what not having a defined breeding season gets you. I always wonder how many baby calves don't get colostrum and die because last years calf got it. Not saying it's the case here but it makes you wonder.
We do not have a defined breeding season and you will never see that. You have to really try hard to neglect any cattle work at all to end up there.

I don't know the whole story as to why this place is in that condition. It may be some one in over their head, or age and not having help, or just flat out not caring.

Either way... they are losing a lot of money right now.

It would pay to bring a couple guys in and clean that whole place out. Pick a few of the best cows and start from scratch. Their pens are probably in shambles, also. They may not be able to catch some of those and that's why they are still there.

Last edited:
After the last bred cow special we went to the order buyers were all hanging back and making jokes. We decided we wanted to stay and see what the fun was.
They started selling 300-900lb bull and hfrs. All had big horns and bigger attitudes. There was about a dozen they sold as singles. Everyone hit the ring so hard they slipped off their feet and fell.
I asked one of the guys what the story was behind those wild cattle. He said the seller has around 200 and sells only what he can catch! They had been known to flip small pickup trucks and pop tractor tires!

Is that pictured bull sucking on that cow? Is that her own calf ?
I think so. I have been on places before where there was a cow with two calves in tow. One yearling and one young one. It's actually pretty impressive on that cows part but not some thing I would want to do. Imagine how good her calves would be if they were weaned right.

I've seen a few situations like that. Our land joins one of them. I call it survival of the fittest Jerseys.
We get one or two yearling horned Jersey type bulls in on us pretty much every year. They are varying degrees of dangerous. Last time we had to hire a man on horseback to rope one of two of them and drag into a trailer. I had gotten ran by one of them several times when trying to get them up.
Pretty much the only time they sell something is when a neighbor takes them to market for the owner when they get in on them.
A different neighbor called me the other day wanting to know if I knew how to contact them because one of their calves has gotten in his pasture and had been there for a while.

I've seen a few situations like that. Our land joins one of them. I call it survival of the fittest Jerseys.
We get one or two yearling horned Jersey type bulls in on us pretty much every year. They are varying degrees of dangerous. Last time we had to hire a man on horseback to rope one of two of them and drag into a trailer. I had gotten ran by one of them several times when trying to get them up.
Pretty much the only time they sell something is when a neighbor takes them to market for the owner when they get in on them.
A different neighbor called me the other day wanting to know if I knew how to contact them because one of their calves has gotten in his pasture and had been there for a while.
After banding a bunch of other people's laziness.....
I've soon come to the realization that a big rubber band will turn even the rankest bull calf into a lil baby! šŸ¤£

I've actually started to enjoy fixing other people's mistakes. It's fun to watch how a bulls demeanor changes when ya literally get em by the ballz.

Latest posts