What To Do With An Orphan Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

GotMyHandsFull

Reaction score
I recently inherited about 45 head of beef cattle and 20 calves, most of them ready to wean. Included in the bunch is an orphan calf three to four months old. I was told he was born to the oldest cow in the herd and that the cow died just over a month ago. The calf has been subsisting on hay, range meal and water. However, it is showing signs of chronic malnourishment. It has a small pot belly. It's hair has grown very long and it appears stunted. There is also a missing patch of hair about the size of my palm on the top of it's neck, and it has not been castrated. Is this calf salvageable or should it go to the sale barn as soon as the holidays are over? I have the facilities to pen it and give it range cubes, sweet feed or whatever y'all recommend, but is it worth the cost to try and improve this calf? Any advice is welcome. I apologize that I do not have a picture to show you.

you can go either way with it ,pen it with good hay and give grain 2 times a day ,1 to 2 % of its body weight spit into 2 feedings a day , or take it to the sale and let someone else deal with it
these are the calves I buy at the sale , and make some money doing it
Suzanne

The bald spot may be from scratching because of lice. This also may some of whats dragging it down. The calf in the pasture will be OK is just won't gain very much per day. I would catch it, worm it with maybe a pour on and a injection, castrate it, vaccinate it and give it an implant. Maybe feed it and a companion calf out for a couple/three weeks. Your effort would probably add at a minimum $250 to the value. Not bad for $50 in supplies and and hours work.

I would put him up and get him straight again. How old is he?
Feed, hay, clean water and a good deworming and he should catch up and do fine.
Well worth it to me. Depends on if you have the time to tend to him.

He's about four months old, but I'm guessing he doesn't way much more than 200 pounds. He's very stumpy and short. I'm guessing even before his mother died, he wasn't getting much milk.

It all depends on how much time and patience you have. Suzorse is right on target, she does it, herself. It all depends on whether or not you have the time to do it, or not. If you have time, I would do what bird dog said, except I would keep it on grain and hay after the 2-3 weeks. I would keep it on at least 5 pounds grain per day until you sell it, whether it is 300 or 400 or 600 lbs. It is stunted and will take some time to start gaining much weight and change it's body type. Right now it might bring 600 dollars, at 400 lbs might bring 1,000 dollars, at 600 lbs might bring 1300 dollars. It all depends on how much time you have

Thanks everyone for the advice. I've got the time to feed him twice a day. Right now on hand, I have range cubes, sweet feed and range meal. Should I just prepare a mix of range cubes and sweet feed for him (plus hay of course), or is there something more specific I should feed?

Here is a picture of the calf.

photo12.jpg

That calf isn't look too bad all he needs is some TLC and he's good to be saleable calf. Just get him to 300-400lbs and you should expect a great paycheck!

I would add keep some minerals out for it free choice and give it some good alfalfa hay if available mixed with your other hay. Like suzorse said those are the calves I try to buy to clean up and make some $ on

Calf looks better than I had imagined him. You can just keep sweet grain to him free choice and some soft hay, with the grain he doesn't have to have top quality hay, just soft enough for him to chew and digest. Some salt and mineral free choice and he will sell real well at 3-400 lbs and pay you back real well for your effort. Of course, he would be worth 3.50-3.75 per pound at a sale barn around here because that is the type of calf people like to buy to get growing and make money on.

Latest posts