What motivates you?

Help Support CattleToday:

I used to be motivated to achieve financial success, but today I couldn't care less about that.
I love the land, nature, outdoors and the challenge of raising cattle for profit.
It dominates my every thought and determines my every move.
A freind asked me a while back do you ever do anything that doesn't involve cattle
I thought that was the dumbest question ever asked
Cormac McCarthy said best
God had put horses on earth to work cattle and that other than cattle there was no wealth proper to a man

Tradition. My place has been in the family since the late 1700's. I bought it from my mother and aunt when I was 18. 45 acres got away back in the 1950's when my grandmother got cancer. I bought it back in 2009. I consider that one of my finest days. The deed is written on what appears to sheep skin. The first line starts out------ From the point at which I am now standing walk north to a downed oak. Two land marks that would now be hard to find. I tend the entire farm with a reverence that is hard to explain. I want my children to understand that there is more at stake here than a piece of ground.

My brother has a farm with a 200 plus year history as well. Mine was as I understand it a gift for fighting in the revulationary war. His was purchased shortly after.

What motivates me first thing in the morning is usually needing to use the bathroom!!! But I look forward to a beautiful sunrise, a fresh hot cup of coffee and a bit of solitude before heading out the door to work. Right now I guess I am motivated by the future, which encompasses possibly an early retirement for me, watching our kids raise their families, and hoping for a great future for our grandkids. I'd like to leave them a legacy of knowing the value of an honest days work, appreciating a solid work ethic, and the faith to thank God for each and every day above ground and the promise of Heaven when our life's work is done. I am motivated by love for my husband and my family, and the love of the outdoors, of country life, and being with and around animals. Presently I am motivated to keep working at my 911 job because I enjoy my coworkers, and I am getting a lot of things paid off and paid for in anticipation to have less to worry about as far as bills, and to get serious about the cattle which I enjoy far more than my job. Animals have always given me a lot of joy, and peace in my soul.

I was thinking about this while I was asleep. I think TIME has become my prime motivator as I get older. The lack of it. There is not enough mortal time. I am reminded of the Order of Insecta that includes the Mayflies, Ephemeroptera, it comes from the Greek word, ephemeros (lasting a day) and pteron (wing). The naiad crawls from the stream onto a rock and metamorphoses into the adult mayfly which lays its eggs and immediately dies. A person needs a 1000 years to taste this life. It is like a wine tasting event. But I want the whole bottle. To parent again, to love again. I would like to be a welder, a dozer operator. I would love to study a subject to the extent that I knew more about it than anyone ever imagined. A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Think what your mind could do in 1000 years. If Einstein had 1000 years to study relativity!!! If Edison had 1000 years to work on electronics. What philosophy would have been created by Aristotle in 1000 years. If Robert Frost could have continued to write for 1000 years. And last, if I could spend 1000 years with cows, I know they would like me.

This was a great idea for a thread Allison. I 'm enjoying everyones posts. I am motivated when I go up to a high point on one of my farms and look out over the land. Thankful for the life I have been given. I'm also driven by my two daughters; oldest one is in nursing school in Pittsburgh and she's working hard to have her American dream. I see these young people in our communities on drugs and think what a waste of the life they have been given. Inyati... You are a very deep thinker, I try not to think we all won't be here forever.

Thanks Jason Leonard.

In regard to,"Inyati... You are a very deep thinker, I try not to think we all won't be here forever."

I have never been able to find cover in not facing what my mind told me was a truth. It is a very effective self preservation tool for many and is not to be discounted. I have seen it used to the extreme at times when something was better dealt with than denied, i.e., alcoholism. If one is an alcoholic trying not to believe it exists really does not work well.

Enjoyed your responses :D .

Sometimes, even though we have clear cut goals, we loose touch with them and float around aimlessly for a while. That's what I realized when drinking coffee the other morning, I was floating/dreaming and could have just sat around all day doing nothing . That motivated posting this question... and I got to give myself a kick in the azzz.

Glad we didn't have a discussion on 'What discourages you?' cause that would just have been depressing, one does not have to look to far in this world to feel discouraged. Times you have to turn a blind eye on some things.

alisonb":2rgwznx0 said:
Enjoyed your responses :D .

Sometimes, even though we have clear cut goals, we loose touch with them and float around aimlessly for a while. That's what I realized when drinking coffee the other morning, I was floating/dreaming and could have just sat around all day doing nothing . That motivated posting this question... and I got to give myself a kick in the azzz.

Glad we didn't have a discussion on 'What discourages you?' cause that would just have been depressing, one does not have to look to far in this world to feel discouraged. Times you have to turn a blind eye on some things.
working for ungrateful millionaires like i have.. has been my motivator....you watch people work their whole life to make them richer, while they struggle... and why i have never been a company or yes man... i wasnt born to make others rich :cowboy:

By knowing that at 68 YO the hill is getting steeper. Got everything I need and near all that I want.
I could have the wants within a week if it made that much difference. Got good health but split firewood ain't as much fun as it once was.
When I hear people talk, especially the youngans, I've learned that I'm smarter than I thought; therefore, I find myself and my wife volunteering more to help the poor young dummies.
Our country, at least where I live has really dumbed down. I asked my dad 40 years ago what he thought would put the USA in a fatal spin and he said a prolong drought. I now believe he was right.
Can't imagine a population that grazes like cattle suddenly find nothing to eat. Probably 98% could not grow a mess of greens. Maybe if I can teach a few they can do the same

Heard a fellow talking on TV the other day. Topic was investing in gold and silver etc. as a hedge against inflation and hard times....his comment was "The best hedge against inflation and hard times is learning how to grow a tomato"............thought he nailed it. How about even a whole garden.

Latest posts