What motivates you?

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
It's a new day, you sit in you 'quiet space' sipping a good strong cup of coffee. What motivates you to stand up from there and give the day your best shot? Financial independence, your family, achieving your dream/goals, to make people happy :p , faith, the thought of poverty, to be a role model, you just love what you do or what.......?

All of the Above??

I am motivated by different things daily... usually guided by my Faith and the quest to be the best possible man that I can be.
:cboy:
Brian

alisonb":3vsherui said:
It's a new day, you sit in you 'quiet space' sipping a good strong cup of coffee. What motivates you to stand up from there and give the day your best shot? Financial independence, your family, achieving your dream/goals, to make people happy :p , faith, the thought of poverty, to be a role model, you just love what you do or what.......?
the Boss

All of the above but at 62 it's mostly just habit. I am practicing being slovenly though in anticipation of retirement!

Alison if I drink any coffee it motivates me immediately to exercise my legs running to the bathroom...LOL My kids inspire me to bust my arse when I leave this world they should be set up real nice but if they blow it all and sell stuff thats on them I tried.

to keep from dyin in my chair.. :nod:

motivation is taking care of things that need to be taken care of.

Small little things like that early morning coffee motivate me. I think achieving my goals pretty much does it for me , the thought of poverty horrifies me :shock:. I never married so have had to slug it out on my own to build my nest egg for retirement one day, am on target :D . Oh, and farm life is great!!!

Long term goals and short term goals and the desire to leave my children in a better financial position than when I started.

Fear of failure, but really just life in general. I see a lot of kids and adults who have severe debilitating diseases that are very up-beat and loving life even with everything that is going wrong for them. I'll always remember a woman who came into the hospital where I was doing my graduate training . She had the late stage of ms and was confined to a wheelchair. She had developed pneumonia and was not in good shape. Still, with her severe symptoms, she was very upbeat. I remember things weren't going good for me that day for what ever dumb reason, and I started talking to her and quickly became very ashamed of myself. She was so thankful to have ONE more day with her kids and family. I stayed with that lady all night talking with her and her scared kids/husband, (my shift was over the day before but I wasn't going to leave). I could not believe how calm she was, and how she calmed her kids and husband and our staff for that matter. That lady changed my life from there on out,as well as many of the other staff that met her. She knew her days were numbered, and died about a week later. When I see a perfectly healthy person complaining about some dumb crap it makes me very angry, and when I get down and need some up lifting thoughts I think of that lady I met. I've heard some pretty motivational speakers talk over the years, but all of them together wouldn't compare. I've kept in touch with her kids, and they have 100% the attitude their mother had.

Sorry for the story, but this and other similar events really get me going in the morning. I've always tried to teach my kids to not take any day for granted.

But yes, coffee does help too :)
Jenna

I don't get up with any scheduled things to do. I have an early morning routine for about 2 hrs. and after that it's just whatever I happen to get the urge to do. Might be work, some small project, a trip to "the city" ... I never know.

Today I did my usual for a couple hours early, went out and gave the cows a bag of cubes, noticed one old cow is bagging up tight so should calve soon, burned a small brushpile, then sprayed down the new floor in a trailer I'm reworking with Thompson Waterseal, came in ate some leftover beef ribs with a glass of milk and some beer biscuits and haven't gone back out this afternoon. Will go check on the burned pile latter and maybe enjoy a cold beer or two....I think we're going to watch one of the grandaughters play little dribbler basketball tonight.

A lot of different things motivate me. I guess it depends on the situation. But I don't drink coffee so I guess I get to just sit there while everyone else gets up and goes.....

Every fall the thought of a bull elk and proving that I can still do it has motivated me to hump my over weight backside up some pretty steep hills.

Breakfast. The faster I can haul a$$ through my breeding route the faster I get home for breakfast. By then I'm so wired from hauling a$$ all morning that it's easy to just keep on going, especially since I like everything that I do after breakfast.
The way I look at it, everyone does something with their time. I can enjoy sitting on a tractor looking at my trees or doing fence work but about half the stuff I used to see on TV was torturous to watch. People ask me how I can be happy to work all the time but I don't see alot of it as work. If it's more entertaining than watching TV then it isn't work.

My family keeps me going. I have more to do than I will ever get done in this lifetime. I hope to make it back home next week and watch my daughter play a golf match or to.

cowgirl_jenna":2k7qa7vo said:
Fear of failure, but really just life in general. I see a lot of kids and adults who have severe debilitating diseases that are very up-beat and loving life even with everything that is going wrong for them. I'll always remember a woman who came into the hospital where I was doing my graduate training . She had the late stage of ms and was confined to a wheelchair. She had developed pneumonia and was not in good shape. Still, with her severe symptoms, she was very upbeat. I remember things weren't going good for me that day for what ever dumb reason, and I started talking to her and quickly became very ashamed of myself. She was so thankful to have ONE more day with her kids and family. I stayed with that lady all night talking with her and her scared kids/husband, (my shift was over the day before but I wasn't going to leave). I could not believe how calm she was, and how she calmed her kids and husband and our staff for that matter. That lady changed my life from there on out,as well as many of the other staff that met her. She knew her days were numbered, and died about a week later. When I see a perfectly healthy person complaining about some dumb crap it makes me very angry, and when I get down and need some up lifting thoughts I think of that lady I met. I've heard some pretty motivational speakers talk over the years, but all of them together wouldn't compare. I've kept in touch with her kids, and they have 100% the attitude their mother had.

Sorry for the story, but this and other similar events really get me going in the morning. I've always tried to teach my kids to not take any day for granted.

But yes, coffee does help too :)
Jenna
Jenna, thanks for the post. :tiphat:
You really had something worthwhile to say.

There is value in your question. I did not read the responses above, they might taint my objectivity.

I have always been highly motivated. I am a selfish person. I do it for me and I still do. It would be dishonest of me to say I do it for my son, my family or my faith. I am self motivated. I set my goals and I strive to achieve them. I enjoy that others recognize my achievements but that is just fluff. What I really need is my own fulfillment and I know when I have done well and when I have schite my pants. I am motivated by the desire to do for me. A professor who I became very close to commented on me one day early in our relationship. He said Ron, I have had thousands of pre-med, pre-pharmacy, pre-vet students through here. They are always motivated by the desire to get their education behind them so they can get out of here and make money. Not you, you have never said a word during the time I have known you about what you were going to do. Yet, you seek knowledge with an enthusiasum I have never seen in any student I have had. You are a throw back to the Greeks and Romans who sought knowledge for the pure reward of learning. He was right. I didn't want anything but to know about the world I lived in. When I die, I don't care if I do not leave a penny. The opportunity to have existed on this heavenly body that is hurling through the universe is a circumstance that exists against the most staggering odds that we cannot even speak it. I think that would motivate anyone.

I was like that 40 years ago. Now I'm trying to clear out some of the bits and pieces and free up some space. :cboy:

Latest posts