What kind of small square baler is best?

Help Support CattleToday:

Shouldn't be a problem with finding cheap help down there. But aiding and abbeting a criminal is a crime and should be a mandatory 30 days in jail to anyone that is caught working illegal criminals.

Richnm said:
alfalfa= to pretty bales 348 wins. Big rows or heavy double raked rows , where speed is needed or large average NEw Holland wins. We are south of Albuquerque. We get about 100,000 small bales a year.
Ya 100,000 bales, that's alot to do in a year

chevytaHOE5674 said:
If I ever got back into making squares a Heston inline is the only way I would go. Better bales, less moving parts, easier to transport, dont have to narrow a tractor up, etc.

Thinking about it. An in line wouldn't require moving bales in a non raked field.

Hesston inline all the way, or if you are poor like me, New Holland. Stay away from John Deere. Haven't known many dairy men that swore on them in a good way.

Hesston, Massey or Case in-line balers are awesome. They are all the same and make the best bale just because of the design, instead of packing a bale from the side they pack it right from the center of the window. The capacity is amazing, I've baled some huge windrows of first cutting where I couldn't believe how fast the bales were being tied. I had a 4570 that I wish I would have kept but I was offered a trade just to good to pass up. As many bales as you put up, I would highly recommend an inline baler.

Which inline is quickest and makes the best bale ? The NH cranks out about 10 bales per minute. I also believe the best way to get a good bale is to rake the rows. The old wire balers made much better bales.

Aaron said:
Hesston inline all the way, or if you are poor like me, New Holland. Stay away from John Deere. Haven't known many dairy men that swore on them in a good way.
I am gonna talk to the local hesston dealer about trying one out this year. I don't mind spending little extra on a baler if gonna make better bales and do the task i ask. I don't know about the dairymen uve talk to but the ones I've talked to and myself included love the John Deere balers. The only complaint I hear is about the kickers are dangerous. Me i Don't want a kicker I'm just dropping on the ground. New Holland equipment is garbage in my opinion and all the dealers have been nothing but jerks so I plan to stay away from that brand in general

Hardnosecattleco said:
Aaron said:
I am gonna talk to the local hesston dealer about trying one out this year. I don't mind spending little extra on a baler if gonna make better bales and do the task i ask. I don't know about the dairymen uve talk to but the ones I've talked to and myself included love the John Deere balers. The only complaint I hear is about the kickers are dangerous. Me i Don't want a kicker I'm just dropping on the ground. New Holland equipment is garbage in my opinion and all the dealers have been nothing but jerks so I plan to stay away from that brand in general

I am talking about balers made 30-40 years ago, nothing brand new. No one would ever buy a new small square baler here. Old square balers are cheap and can buy several good working ones for a few hundred dollars. Last one I seen sell at auction was $125.

The only reason we're so big on the small bales is $$$ good alfalfa comes out to $400 a ton , cow hay $300 a ton. I figure a new back will cost me $50k lmao

Hardnosecattleco said:
Looking to update my old Ford small square baler. I think I have it narrowed down to a John Deere 348, but I have seen the massy (hesston) in line balers are good to. Looking for some input.

There's no such thing as a good square baler

kenny thomas said:
Richnm said:
I have 5 BC5070 New Hollands , 2 575s, and 2 348s. The Deere makes a perfect square pretty bale. The Holland's will make a very long bale if you go to fast. The Holland is faster by far. Had a dealer bring me an inline once. Made me feel like a city boy I sent it back. I get more money for the Deere bales hay. $12 a bale 65 pound bales. Big rows New Holland.
May I ask why so many balers?
5 cuttings a year , 1000 acres. Machines are always on just about.

skyhightree1 said:
Hardnosecattleco said:
Looking to update my old Ford small square baler. I think I have it narrowed down to a John Deere 348, but I have seen the massy (hesston) in line balers are good to. Looking for some input.

Ya except for the sell faster get paid more for them and you don't have to worry about your tractor being gelled up in the winter to feed ur cattle. Other than that your right square bales ain't good

Hardnosecattleco said:
skyhightree1 said:
Hardnosecattleco said:

Ya except for the sell faster get paid more for them and you don't have to worry about your tractor being gelled up in the winter to feed ur cattle. Other than that your right square bales ain't good

I couldn't imagine having to feed a ton of square bales a day, I'd quit before I did that.

True Grit Farms said:
Hardnosecattleco said:
skyhightree1 said:

I couldn't imagine having to feed a ton of square bales a day, I'd quit before I did that.

I vowed as a kid id never feed square bales if I had cattle when I got older ... That's for the birds ... that being said I do bale squares to sell but have a stack wagon to get them out the field but usually sell right out the field. It is profitable selling squares however using them myself not going to happen like you said I will quit first

Latest posts