What kind of small square baler is best?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hardnosecattleco

Reaction score
Looking to update my old Ford small square baler. I think I have it narrowed down to a John Deere 348, but I have seen the massy (hesston) in line balers are good to. Looking for some input.

I don't think there's any thing wrong with either one, tied a lot of hay with a John Deere always wanted to try a Heston. I would go with the one that had the closest place to get parts.

If I ever got back into making squares a Heston inline is the only way I would go. Better bales, less moving parts, easier to transport, dont have to narrow a tractor up, etc.

The best one is the one that works every time, mine is a IH 430, look it up, wore out, but it makes a perfect bale, if you know how to run it.

I've got an ancient IH 37. Belonged to my grandfather. It will make a preacher cuss. Work flawlessly and then won't tie for shyt. It's for small scale use at this point in its career.

I talked with all the hay guys around me recently about this. Was about even which one had a 348 or new holland 575 or newer version of that. They all said either one would be fine no one had anything to bad to say about either. I was looking for a 570 or 575 or a 348. I bought the deere. One would have zero support here with a hesston.

Allenw said:
I don't think there's any thing wrong with either one, tied a lot of hay with a John Deere always wanted to try a Heston. I would go with the one that had the closest place to get parts.

Both dealers are just a stone's throw away, and I've had good service and luck with both of them. Mostly why I'm at a standstill about the decision, with hay around the corner I'd really like to make a decision!

Around here NH in the past has sold a lot of them. About any of them will bale more than the help you can get to try and put it up.

jltrent said:
Around here NH in the past has sold a lot of them. About any of them will bale more than the help you can get to try and put it up.

That's the truth. I only put up a few bales for my own use because you can't find any one to help.

Farm Fence Solutions said:
The neighbor's baler is the best one.

Tell it breaks and you have to pay to replace it and still don't have a baler

cbcr said:
We had a JD 348 and really liked it.

Does the 348 take hay pretty good? Last John Deere baler I ran was a 337 and it baled beautifully just didn't seem to take the windows I wanted to feed it is all

I have 5 BC5070 New Hollands , 2 575s, and 2 348s. The Deere makes a perfect square pretty bale. The Holland's will make a very long bale if you go to fast. The Holland is faster by far. Had a dealer bring me an inline once. Made me feel like a city boy I sent it back. I get more money for the Deere bales hay. $12 a bale 65 pound bales. Big rows New Holland.

Richnm said:
I have 5 BC5070 New Hollands , 2 575s, and 2 348s. The Deere makes a perfect square pretty bale. The Holland's will make a very long bale if you go to fast. The Holland is faster by far. Had a dealer bring me an inline once. Made me feel like a city boy I sent it back. I get more money for the Deere bales hay. $12 a bale 65 pound bales. Big rows New Holland.
What are you baling straight alfalfa or mixed with grass? And where are you?

Richnm said:
May I ask why so many balers?

Hardnosecattleco said:
cbcr said:
We had a JD 348 and really liked it.

Does the 348 take hay pretty good? Last John Deere baler I ran was a 337 and it baled beautifully just didn't seem to take the windows I wanted to feed it is all

The 348 we had had the super sweep teeth (closer together) we had some areas of the field of orchard grass and clover that were really thick and it picked the hay up and fed fine.

I don't recall having to unplug the baler.

alfalfa= to pretty bales 348 wins. Big rows or heavy double raked rows , where speed is needed or large average NEw Holland wins. We are south of Albuquerque. We get about 100,000 small bales a year.