What is up with the strip of concrete on I-35?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
I have noticed that on I-35 over in the Itasca/Grandview area, (there may be more, but that's where I frequent), there's a strip of concrete that the hwy dept has poured in the median. What's that? I saw it yesterday between Alvarado and Burleson, too. Is it some sort of barrier to keep cars from crossing the median? If so, those DPS boys are gonna have a hard time parking there to do their radar.

Anyone know what the scoop is on that? Looks like a sidewalk, only it is narrower and gets covered with dirt. I thought drainage, but in some places it isn't in the middle of the median, but off to one side.

That sounds weird... i'll be driving through there here in a few hours... i'll look and see, dont think i've seen them before. I know those DPS guys love hanging out in that area. I've been pretty lucky not getting caught by them.

They have installed the same thing on I-10 from around Columbus all the way to San Antonio and possibly beyond. What you'll soon see are thousands (millions?) of upright steel posts, about 4 feet tall, bolted to the concrete "sidewalk" about every 6 feet. Next they will string about three lines of very thick steel cable through holes in those posts, and the cables will be anchored to the ground every mile or so. The cables will be strung somewhat loosely, not real tight. Although they prevent cars from crossing over the main purpose is to stop cars that careen off the freeway and into the median and possibly into cars on the opposite side of the median -- as in the case of wrecks, blowouts, driver falling asleep, etc. I don't know if it is part of the federal interstate program or if it is just a Texas thing but no doubt it involves some big time $$$$ spent

Arnold Ziffle":36538wd6 said:
They have installed the same thing on I-10 from around Columbus all the way to San Antonio and possibly beyond. What you'll soon see are thousands (millions?) of upright steel posts, about 4 feet tall, bolted to the concrete "sidewalk" about every 6 feet. Next they will string about three lines of very thick steel cable through holes in those posts, and the cables will be anchored to the ground every mile or so. The cables will be strung somewhat loosely, not real tight. Although they prevent cars from crossing over the main purpose is to stop cars that careen off the freeway and into the median and possibly into cars on the opposite side of the median -- as in the case of wrecks, blowouts, driver falling asleep, etc. I don't know if it is part of the federal interstate program or if it is just a Texas thing but no doubt it involves some big time $$$$ spent

Why don't they just do like in Mexico and line up boulders down the median? Might work just as well and cheaper too. ;-)

Arnold Ziffle":1zosknls said:

OOHHH! They just aren't done with it here yet. I think Steve said something about posts the other day.

So, what are the DPS boys gonna do? Do they have designated "cop stops"?

You're right, that sounds like it would involve big bucks. Also, I can't imagine what it will do to a car. Especially a small car.

Along the intersate here they're sticking in the posts and cable but no concrete. tx must have more money then MO

dun

Lammie":o3z2tmsd said:
Arnold Ziffle":o3z2tmsd said:

OOHHH! They just aren't done with it here yet. I think Steve said something about posts the other day.

You're right, that sounds like it would involve big bucks. Also, I can't imagine what it will do to a car. Especially a small car.

I saw the ones you are talking about earlier today... and if you keep going south you will see the posts and cable. Still not sure the point of the conrete. I think Dun is right, I guess Texas has more money to spend on random things. I dont know what the Troopers will do, though. I saw 2 that had people pulled over between south ft. worth and just south of alvarado. I dont even know what the big deal with blocking off the mediam is anyways. Who knows?

Ryan":1ytm8a28 said:
Lammie":1ytm8a28 said:
Arnold Ziffle":1ytm8a28 said:

I saw the ones you are talking about earlier today... and if you keep going south you will see the posts and cable. Still not sure the point of the conrete. I think Dun is right, I guess Texas has more money to spend on random things. I dont know what the Troopers will do, though. I saw 2 that had people pulled over between south ft. worth and just south of alvarado. I dont even know what the big deal with blocking off the mediam is anyways. Who knows?

The purpose as it was explained to me was to prevent head-ons

dun

Well I will be sure to tell that to Steve when he calls tonight. We were both curious.

Ryan":ouapbax8 said:
Lammie":ouapbax8 said:
Arnold Ziffle":ouapbax8 said:

I love seeing the Alvarado police on the side of the freeway. I always wondered why that was their jurisdiction. You get way out of town and there's an Alvarado cop car on the side of the freeway pulling people over. Ask me, they got no bidness out there!

Okay. Thanks for the info everyone. It will give me something to talk to Steve about on the way home from the airport. :)

BTW, he went to a Smokies game last night, (minor league baseball) and had a blast. He really loves Tennessee.

Another tidbit. They claim that it will keep 18 wheelers from hitting the medians and overturning closing the highway for hours. I think that one boils down to a yah, right.

dun

Think about what the results will be for folks on murder scooters. Like a hot knife through butter.

dun":58nozu8y said:
Another tidbit. They claim that it will keep 18 wheelers from hitting the medians and overturning closing the highway for hours. I think that one boils down to a yah, right.
dun
They claim the cables have less deflection than concrete barriers or metal railing. That they will not allow the vehicle to enter the opposing traffic nor will they "bounce" a vehicle back into it's lane of travel.

As far as the cops needing to turn around. the day is coming.
Onstar, this is officer Mcruff, I need this vehicle shut down and the doors locked. Nonsense you say? ummm maybe so......
google black boxes in vehicles. gotta go I hear the helicopters coming :help:

They talk about it occasionally on the Dallas News stations. They are to prevent cars from crossing the median into oncoming traffic. A lot of places have the concrete barriers, but the cable thing is much cheaper.

They are probably putting down the cement because it will be easier to drive a post into than the hard soil!!! :lol:

Latest posts