What kind of bone is this?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Found this in the dried-up section of the south pond. Almost looks like a skull but I don't see any holes for eyes, other than way down towards those spiky things sticking out. Part of a vertebra? It's about 4" long and 3" wide (including the spiky things). Any ideas?

Top view:
1686088079759.jpeg

Bottom view:
1686088122900.jpeg

Definitely a skull TC, those bulbous things are the tympanic bulla and those spiky things are the zygomatic arches. The joins I think are called sutures?? I think they would be wider if it was a new born. I am not sure if that is the atlas vertebrae still attached to it.

Ken

Definitely a skull TC, those bulbous things are the tympanic bulla and those spiky things are the zygomatic arches. The joins I think are called sutures?? I think they would be wider if it was a new born. I am not sure if that is the atlas vertebrae still attached to it.

Ken
Interesting! And yes, I had to google tympanic bulla and zygomatic arches. Any guess to the species?

Found this in the dried-up section of the south pond. Almost looks like a skull but I don't see any holes for eyes, other than way down towards those spiky things sticking out. Part of a vertebra? It's about 4" long and 3" wide (including the spiky things). Any ideas?

Top view:
View attachment 30966

Bottom view:
View attachment 30967
Don't say that. If you say overbite 3 times you will summon her like Beetlejuice.

*Crap, I just said it myself.. that's 2..
Possibly part of an alligator?

Ken
Those bulges of the nasal bones make it hard. Could it be a turtles skull????

Ken

It is a bobcat skull.
Very possible. I was thinking some kind of mammal. I don't know, but is it a little bit long for a bobcat? I also can't tell how big it actually is. Opossum came to mind for me, or maybe badger?

Probably TMI, but the sagital crest looks like its a bit too developed for a bobcat? Maybe not.

Last edited:

Top view:
View attachment 30966

Bottom view:
View attachment 30967

Top view:
View attachment 30966

Bottom view:
View attachment 30967
OH, NO, she's back! Someone drown their small dog in the pond. This is the rear part of a dog skull. No dragons, turtles, alligators, or underbite here - LOL.