What is this bush?

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't know what it is, BUT I do know you need to add triclophyr (Remedy) to the mix. You might try 24 oz of Grazon, 12 oz of triclopyr and spike it with 2/10 oz of MSM in 25 gallons of water. Use a good surfactant.

I can't tell exactly but am wondering if it is Japanese Bush Honeysuckle, if so it has taken over these parts. The best way we have found to kill it is to cut the bushes of and put some Tordon on the remaining stump/stem. If it is young shoots like that picture, maybe Crossbow might get it.

Looks like Chinese privet, highly invasive and hard to kill. Probably take more than one spraying of triclopyr.

Leaves and stem look waxy..same way green brier is. It would probably need a penetrant. Remedy+diesel is what I use on green brier.

ga.prime said:
Looks like Chinese privet, highly invasive and hard to kill. Probably take more than one spraying of triclopyr.
When I looked up the pictures it looks like Chinese privet. It is new to this area, but what I have just read about it it looks like it is going to be a bigger pain in the rear than MF roses. It looks like a 5% mixture of glyphosphate is the best way to kill it? Anyone got a better mixture?

hillbilly beef man said:
ga.prime said:
When I looked up the pictures it looks like Chinese privet. It is new to this area, but what I have just read about it it looks like it is going to be a bigger pain in the rear than MF roses. It looks like a 5% mixture of glyphosphate is the best way to kill it? Anyone got a better mixture?
Privet has sweet smelling blossoms in the spring and then develops small purple berries. Triclopyr is way better than glyphosate for privet. Remedy and Garlon4 contain triclopyr. Mix 1 quart per 25 gallons of water and put the same amount of MSO (methylated seed oil) in the tank as you do Remedy/Garlon4. I use Garlon 4 because it's $20/gallon less than Remedy and it's the same formulation.

i would mix a 1 1/2% cocktail of Remedy, Tordon 22 and 2 4 D, equal parts. If you don't care about the grass in the area. add a little glyfo. They don't put 2 4 D in everything for no reason. A good surfactant is critical.

Herbicides are like cattle, Mixing a good one with a another good one make a superior one that will knock out 95% of what you are trying to kill.

Remedy is like Herefords. Pretty good on their own but better when crossed.

hillbilly beef man said:
And what can I spray to kill it? I do know that spot spraying Grazon next at 3 pints to 25 gallons will not even bother it.

Privet has thin bark and a basal stem treatment with Remedy or Garlon4 is very effective. The trouble is most of it is hard to get in close enough proximity to the main stem to treat it. If you don't have much privet, you might want to do a basal stem treatment. If so, just mix equal parts Remedy/Garlon4 with MSO or diesel in a squirt bottle and spray all the way around the main stem a foot or two (before it starts branching out) off the ground. If spot spaying the whole plant with a triclopyr solution (1 quart Garlon4 + 1 quart MSO in 25 gallons of water), wet as much of the foliage as you can and come back in two months and spray any greenery that's still on the bush. Eradication is your goal, unchecked privet will colonize large areas, render them unusable, and serve as a support system for various vines including but not limited to muscadine, smilax, Virginia creeper, trumpet vine, pepper vine, Japanese honeysuckle, and Japanese climbing fern. After the vines turn it into an unsightly mass of vegetation 15 feet tall, with total blackout shade underneath, and into which you cannot see six inches, hornets will build nests in it which you cannot see and will not know are there until you defoliate the privet.

Latest posts