What extras are you doing for your cows

Help Support CattleToday:

rjbovine

Reaction score
Major storm forecasted for Sunday thru Tuesday . Up to 12 inches of snow and temps down minus 11. With wind gust up to 30mph wind chilles down to minus 45 . Worst storm in our area in the past 20 yrs.. I set out two extra hay feeder . Three are full to the max . Week old calf and her mom shutup in the barn with manger full and water tank full with tank heater plugged in . Auto water has worked well in the past . So if the drifts get to deep the cows should be ok for a day or two . I have a large woods north of the pasture for wind break . Good luck everyone . rj

I put out hay this morning. Girls came up and nibbled then went right back out to the stockpiled fescue

Put out a extra bale of hay, got the creep feeder filled, and got all the water heaters running. Also cut 2 loads of wood for people needing wood.
Where abouts are you in SIL? I've probably ask before and forgot so forgive me. I'm in Marion county near Salem.

We set alfalfa bales in all the feeders when it gets real cold (Wednesday this week). The heaters on the waterers are checked daily...

The bred cows are still on corn stalks and have barely started in on their bales (they might not like my hay ;) ). For the last few days they have been laying along the shelterbelts and grazing in the areas where they can stay out of the wind.

First ET calf of the year due tuesday. Its gonna be -22 thats about 40 degrees away from normal for this area. We will see how it goes when you dont have barn to keep cows in only a three sided building.

We got rain and 32 degrees right now, supposed to have up to 7 inches of snow by 10 in the morning and -8 tommorow night, that's colder than I've ever known it to be here. Today I still have 1 herd that has enough grass they won 't touch hay. Tommorow I'm waiting until the snow stops and then I'll start unrolling hay, and alot of it.

We had a little rain and mild temps the last few weeks so hay consumption has been down. But tomorrow they all get a little extra hay and they all have woods and bottoms to get out of the wind. It's only supposed To get down to 30 or so this week. Enough to stop any growth

I spent 8 years working on the north slope of Alaska and have a lot of respect for you folks raising cattle where you see sub zero temps but dont envy you at all.

B&M Farms":33xg0hjr said:
I spent 8 years working on the north slope of Alaska and have a lot of respect for you folks raising cattle where you see sub zero temps but dont envy you at all.

:tiphat: to them I agree this is in that white camo area that I don't enter.
They are predicting 19 here, that is about 20 degrees below normal for us.
This makes me think back to 83 when it got 5 here and we were in the deep freeze as a nation for about two weeks.

We are in the middle of it right now, got about 4 inches of snow already, - 2 degrees right now, and expecting -20 tonight into Monday!!!! We never see these kinds of temps around here... and guess what? We had an embryo calf born last night! I was heat checking for the night, and noticed the recip cow not due until the 14th in the corner by herself. Brought her up to the barn, shut her in a pen with clean straw, and an hour later she gave us this:
IMG_1136.JPG

The calf is a Steel Force embryo calf, so you bet she will stay in the barn until this cold front moves past. A wonderful heifer for my daughter, and she weighed 66 pounds so small (probably because she is early)!
We put down a few small bales of straw in the gathering pen in the barn, and made sure the creep pen had fresh straw, hay and some winter creep in the feeder to keep the babies attracted to staying out of the way. I have a new calf, born Christmas day, that I need to go check on. I might lock her in tonight also!
All I can say is I am NOT liking this weather!!! We have two more recips not due until next week, so I will look at them closely!!!!

Hay rings are full and I just finished rolling out two bales of last years hay for them to bed down on.
They are calling for rain and then below freezing temperatures after that.
In my area this is a prescription for pneumonia.
I will roll out 2 more bales in the same spot after the rain stops.
Liz

Caustic Burno":z4vzvfk1 said:
Told mine they better get in the woods.
Put some hay up in the woods for mine, they are still out grazing. Down to 0 tonight, high of 1 tomorrow, below 0 tomorrow night and high of 15 then. Some above freezing weather forecasted after that.

What is this global warming thing we hear about? :roll:

Latest posts