what do I need-UTV or golf cart?

Help Support CattleToday:

ga.prime":cb5w0114 said:
A UTV is a lesser version of a pickup truck, and yet they cost more. That's just great if you can afford a luxury like that. But, why is anybody trying to sell them to poor assed beginning farmers?

When I think about it, I haven't noticed many UTVs owned by younger ranchers. Most UTV owners I know are genuine old fashioned cowboys in their 70s and 80s who are still active but now have difficulty getting on a horse or ATV :idea:

Our Kubota 1140 RTV is the most used piece of equipment we own. There's no way I'd make a week without one. But a golf cart or JD gator is the cheapest and safest vehicle for a wife and daughter to ride around the farm.

ga.prime":bslqda8f said:
A UTV is a lesser version of a pickup truck, and yet they cost more. That's just great if you can afford a luxury like that. But, why is anybody trying to sell them to poor assed beginning farmers?

It sounds to me like a lot of these posters need to invest in a pair of limb loppers. They're cheap in comparison. I'll probably get that call of someone needing help and they haven't lopped limbs in 15 years. Can't hardly get down the lanes - in anything other than a toy. When they are in a crisis, its not time to finally get around to lopping limbs.

backhoeboogie":1my5lxx4 said:
ga.prime":1my5lxx4 said:

It sounds to me like a lot of these posters need to invest in a pair of limb loppers. They're cheap in comparison. I'll probably get that call of someone needing help and they haven't lopped limbs in 15 years. Can't hardly get down the lanes - in anything other than a toy. When they are in a crisis, its not time to finally get around to lopping limbs.

Trees are not really not much of an issue here on the prairie :p And those in rougher country who do have lanes with trees seem to keep them so they can drive through with a pickup or tractor.

But if your'e pursuing an obstinate bovine, she likely going to try to elude you by getting off the designated trail into the thickest brush and timber she can, where it really doesn't matter if you have a horse, ATV, or UTV. At this point, if you don't have a good cowdog, you're likely going to have to go in and get her out on foot yourself :idea:

IMO, one of the biggest advantages of a UTV over an ATV that I haven't seen mentioned here is the availablilty of some kind of enclosure for inclement weather. I don't think I have seen a UTV purchased without either some kind of fabric "comfort cover" similar to what we used on old tractors, a plastic hardtop cab on it, or some combination of. Many makes of UTVs offer heaters and some even offer air conditioning :???: No doubt the high-end models can be as comfy as a pickup. And cost almost as much too :p

Neighbor's new Kawasaki has a hardtop cab and doors on it. For now he has one of the doors off to make it easy to get in and out of, but with colder weather coming he will put that back on soon if he hasn't already :idea:

Bigfoot":2wevqrbm said:
There's no way I'm right, and every other cattleman is wrong, but I prefer an Atv, and a small trailer. Many will disagree, but it's the way to go for me. Ride seems smoother, and when I don't have the trailer hooked up I have more speed, and maneuverability on my terrain than a side by side. A carry all on the back of a small tractor will haul more than a side by side as well. You can pick it up, let down, and pull the pin your top link to dump it.

Sounds like we have similar set ups I got my Honda 4wheeler and a little trailer.

Bigfoot":32kumcde said:
To answer your question, yes I have operated both. I propose a game of follow the leader. Atv in the front, and UTV in the back. That would be a good test of both of our theories.

I got a creek bottom we can play in. I would lose any stock UTV on the crossing.

I got a creek bottom we can play in. I would lose any stock UTV on the crossing.[/quote]

You must have a stout 4 wheeler. My Yahama Rhino would go where my Grizzly couldn't, mud and water wise. The 4 wheeler was better in the tight spots, but that's the only place.

My creek crossing is a heck of a ride part of it is almost straight up and down. I think a UTV would get stuck in the bottom or flip over. It takes all my skill to make it across and I don't do it often. I really need a dozer but always find other stuff to do with my extra money.

We just bought a 6X6 Polaris Ranger and it is the best money I have spent on equipment. Until we bought it I used a 4X4 truck but the Ranger is a lot more convenient. We use it for exactly the same thing you are describing and it works out great. It is pretty simple to operate, a forward and reverse shifter and a switch to select 2,4,6 wheel drive. My wife loves it and drives it as much as I do. Good Luck.

wacocowboy":2yom3n8c said:
My creek crossing is a heck of a ride part of it is almost straight up and down. I think a UTV would get stuck in the bottom or flip over. It takes all my skill to make it across and I don't do it often. I really need a dozer but always find other stuff to do with my extra money.

Its hard to flip a utv back wards unless you are doing some thing stupid... really fast. ATVs go backwards way easier.

Mud, crawling, ect the utv will go right with an atv and do it with a bed and extra seat. With the exception of a Kubota or base style Gator. Their off road capabilities are limited greatly compared to the other utvs on the market.

update: well, we are splurging and using the "it's a christmas present" excuse to get a Kubota 400. Wife drove both and felt the lifted golf cart didn't feel very stable. She also didn't feel like it could outrun a hungry coyote that might chase her :) I went with that and we settled on something that we both will like! It'll be over-kill for what we need, but she's very happy with it.

If the wife is happy everyone else is also. Good luck with your new RTV.

Purchased a Bulldog 710 from HD yesterday. Primary reason was what Dun said. Just can't get my leg over an atv any longer, and it's easier to slide out to open a gate vs getting down from my tractor. I think I will like it.

Well…my brute force 750 with 26" mudweisers is unstoppable so far. And I live in the mountains. Obviously will not tackle vertical. I have pulled our '86 Long tractor across the driveway, stretched the belt, but it pulled it!

A small trailer is a must. Maybe a cheap 5x8 or 4x6 like you would get at a hardware store.

The only difference is with a top, a UTV is possibly safer? I do know of a kid locally who rolled his utv, his leg flung out the side and it rolled onto it crushing his knee, landing on top

I need to get some video of the stuff we go through when we are hunting. There are some creek crossings that aren't straight up and down, but pretty close. You have to put it in low gear and let the motor keep you slow going down. Use the parking break if you have to, not the regular breaks. When you get near the bottom you punch it so you can get enough speed going up the other side.

That's another thing I have liked about that new Mule Pro. It has the doors which have actually been really nice and it has a seat belt that is pretty comfortable. I actually wear it when I'm going down the highway.

Brute 23":g2koquzb said:
It has the doors which have actually been really nice and it has a seat belt that is pretty comfortable. I actually wear it when I'm going down the highway.

Imperative.

I wouldn't own one without doors, and i wouldn't ride without being strapped in. Safety first if allowed! I have had to jump off my atv a few times. If I am stuck in something I want to be protected.

**Edit**
I will assume the OP won't be taking chances though. In which case a utv type would be best or a gas powered golf cart type. Battery powered golf carts, how long will they stay charged? I have no experience with them.

Latest posts