what do I need-UTV or golf cart?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hands down the most used thing on the farm besides the tractor is our Chuck Wagon UTV. I don't need a big 4wd with a big payment, this thing does everything I need it to and I am able to slide in and out in a breeze without opening a door or climbing off a four wheeler. In fact, nobody has touched the four wheelers since getting this.

If this blew up today I would either order another engine or find another one immediately, it's just that handy for farm and fence work. If you are not into impressing your neighbors but want a stout but crude oversized golf cart, then this is the way to go. My wife loves it but she did drive a golf cart recently and commented on how much smoother and quieter it was, so there's that.

They can be had used for 1500-2000, and sold for the same amount without taking a hit if you don't like it, they usually sell in a day or 2 around here at that price (took me awhile to get one due to this). Here's what they look like if you don't know.
p1343780862782034.jpg

Stay away from golf carts. Their made for golf courses not farms.
ga.prime":2yimqbz5 said:
Why not get bicycles?
Wife got a mountain bike several months back. I gave her a real hard time about it. I've had to eat my hat, the things pretty dam handy. Don't replace the four wheelers or mule. But Sometimes if I want to leave the tractor somewhere I'll put the bike in the bucket and ride it back the house. :cboy:

ive rode 4 wheelers side saddle for years.but i rarely ride the new 1 side saddle because itll jar my back bad shifting gears.its built alot smaller than my old 4 wheeler.

mine is belt,,cvt..I wouldn't go any other way on anwork machine..no clutch shifting etc..goes really really slow if need be...ez to side saddle

There are utility golf carts. They have different frames, come with heavier duty tires, and can be bought ag-exempt.

I have had both atvs and utvs. There is not one thing that is better about the atv that I can come up with other than the cost. Even that you are paying less because you are getting less.

I would bet if you sat an atv and utv side by side and said pick one... most every one would go for the utv.

Brute 23":2402mfj2 said:
There are utility golf carts. They have different frames, come with heavier duty tires, and can be bought ag-exempt.

I have had both atvs and utvs. There is not one thing that is better about the atv that I can come up with other than the cost. Even that you are paying less because you are getting less.

I would bet if you sat an atv and utv side by side and said pick one... most every one would go for the utv.

I've never driven a utv, but I can't imagine a utv being as good or better than an atv for strictly saddlehorse type work where you are not carrying anything with you except maybe a whip or an ear tagger :idea: I've ridden an atv in rugged terrain and soft creek crossings I certainly would not attempt with a utv.

Back in my younger days I remember helping repair some fence in some rough country after a flood. Best way to get there was up and down a narrow ridge just wide enough for the atv with steep dropoffs on both sides. Poor little Polaris 250 was loaded down with 3 guys, one in the seat, one standing on each running board holding on to the rear rack with one hand and the handlebar with the other, 4 or 5 bundles of steel posts, wire, and clips. Took our time, got in, goterdone, and got out again.

I wasn't paying close enough attention one day out on my own and tipped the atv on its side. Managed to set it up again by myself. That wouldn't work with a utv.

You can buy a tractor and a wagon to pull behind it for less than a utv. You can buy a good used pickup truck for less than a utv. My pickup will go in worse places than a utv can get into. ATVs are a different story, they can get in and out of just about anywhere. Between a UTV and ATV, only the ATV has any practicality.

I guess the lay of the land in certain parts of the country make a utv more enticing? They just aren't practical on my place. There is literally nowhere on my place an Atv won't go. There are a bunch of places a utv won't go. I'm a part timer. When I go check my cows in the morning before work, I'm not trying to go for a stroll. I need to see my cows, and then get ready for work.

pdubdo":w0r1vs95 said:
I've got 75 acres. Need to drive/check/repair/clear fence lines through woods, check on 10-12 cows (eventually). Most immediately, i need something my wife and daughter can cruise around in and enjoy the property a little more. I've got a 4x4 truck I drive into anything and a tractor. Do i save a couple $k and get a electric or gas golf cart? Or convince me I need a UTV. (Did I mention I'm pretty cheap?) Not much variation in terrain-just really woodsy in parts - cutting a 5 ft wide fence-line. Any advice appreciated.
I still like a Chuck Wagon over golf cart or ATV, it drives like a car (good for wife and daughter), has a dump bed, is narrow enough to fit on your trails or in the back of your truck (48"), is durable and cheap. And if you ever plan to spray the fence line it is a million times easier than riding an ATV. Easily throw a chainsaw or whatever in back without strapping down etc. etc.

If I had the money I would move up to a Honda Pioneer, but I don't.

These are called by different names from different places, like at Home Depot it was a bulldog I think, and tractor supply called them yerf dogs. Sounds like a golf cart might suit you just fine as well, they are kind of slow and more expensive though, and a little goofy looking unless you put the lift kit and tires on it.

Bigfoot":1hsgndoe said:
I guess the lay of the land in certain parts of the country make a utv more enticing? They just aren't practical on my place. There is literally nowhere on my place an Atv won't go. There are a bunch of places a utv won't go. I'm a part timer. When I go check my cows in the morning before work, I'm not trying to go for a stroll. I need to see my cows, and then get ready for work.

Where won't a utv go?

I've put both to the test an 98% of the time the utv will go where the atv will. If the atv is going some where really extreme it's highly modified or its a really rare clearance issue.

The people running basically stock atvs saying the utv won't go there usually don't have a lot of experience with utvs.

Neither an ATV or UTV is a suitable platform for roping calves, or even an emu.

Brute 23":1y3bc2el said:
Bigfoot":1y3bc2el said:

Where won't a utv go?

I've put both to the test an 98% of the time the utv will go where the atv will. If the atv is going some where really extreme it's highly modified or its a really rare clearance issue.

The people running basically stock atvs saying the utv won't go there usually don't have a lot of experience with utvs.

I use both, a lot... My 4wheeler will go where a UTV wont. If you have trees, UTVs will be a problem. They arent as agile..getting up cows is a little tougher on our Gator..But, UTVs have more mass, so just the sight will keep a cow from challenging them. But when it comes to keeping the runners in check, a 4wheeler is best. We usually use 2 gators and a 4wheeler to get herds up. Sometimes one gator and 2 people and a 4wheeler, one person to get out and push stragglers. If i were going to have one that i did not need to carry a second person, i'd get a 4wheeler. But if you dont have trees and its not going to be used for chasing cows and you have passengers....a UTV..

To the OP, i hope he got a UTV..sounds like what would work best...

Brute 23":h7rc7hg5 said:
Bigfoot":h7rc7hg5 said:

Where won't a utv go?

You answered your own question. That 2% of the ground you can't get accross is a higher percentage here.

Bigfoot":28glcaub said:
Brute 23":28glcaub said:
Bigfoot":28glcaub said:

Where won't a utv go?

You answered your own question. That 2% of the ground you can't get accross is a higher percentage here.

You should be a politician the way you dodged that. :clap: Have you owned a utv and tried it? What is the terrain you think only an atv can make it?

My point is most people have not put avts to the test right next to a utv to really know the pros and cons. Same thing with people who get on here and say Kubota is the best... or Mules are the best. The majority haven't been able to test or use all of them side by side to really make that call.

To answer your question, yes I have operated both. I propose a game of follow the leader. Atv in the front, and UTV in the back. That would be a good test of both of our theories.

I drive both...4wheeler had flat this morning so i did my rounds in the gator....When on my 4wheeler, in our area, i'd leave a UTV in the dust. So many places it cant go that my orange pony can. Just depends on where you are, no trees no problem with a UTV. In cold weather, i like the UTV with a windshield...but in the summer, you wont see many using the windshield. But winter, the UTV would be my choice unless i have cows calving where there are trees. If i'm in a hurry, the 4wheeler is my choice. If i have to carry something, the UTV is my choice. One of our neighbors came by on their UTV, it has 2 bench seats and i noticed that the back one folds up when you dont need it. Not sure how that worked, looked like the bed could be moved back when the seat is open, and then pushed forward when it wasnt...Pretty neat. I have no idea what kind it was. We'd have to find one in diesel, wont go gas engine anymore.... We are thinking of getting a bigger one that seats more. We love showing our place to visitors, and now we have to drive 2 so everyone will fit. But once you get to the bigger UTVs, you might as well buy a truck...lol

cowgirl8":wqx6wzyy said:
I drive both...4wheeler had flat this morning so i did my rounds in the gator....When on my 4wheeler, in our area, i'd leave a UTV in the dust. So many places it cant go that my orange pony can. Just depends on where you are, no trees no problem with a UTV. In cold weather, i like the UTV with a windshield...but in the summer, you wont see many using the windshield. But winter, the UTV would be my choice unless i have cows calving where there are trees. If i'm in a hurry, the 4wheeler is my choice. If i have to carry something, the UTV is my choice. One of our neighbors came by on their UTV, it has 2 bench seats and i noticed that the back one folds up when you dont need it. Not sure how that worked, looked like the bed could be moved back when the seat is open, and then pushed forward when it wasnt...Pretty neat. I have no idea what kind it was. We'd have to find one in diesel, wont go gas engine anymore.... We are thinking of getting a bigger one that seats more. We love showing our place to visitors, and now we have to drive 2 so everyone will fit. But once you get to the bigger UTVs, you might as well buy a truck...lol
There have been mules for at least 10 years that have that convertible bed/rear seat deal. Neighbor has had his at least that long.

A UTV is a lesser version of a pickup truck, and yet they cost more. That's just great if you can afford a luxury like that. But, why is anybody trying to sell them to poor assed beginning farmers?

Latest posts