what do I need-UTV or golf cart?

Help Support CattleToday:

pdubdo

Reaction score
I've got 75 acres. Need to drive/check/repair/clear fence lines through woods, check on 10-12 cows (eventually). Most immediately, i need something my wife and daughter can cruise around in and enjoy the property a little more. I've got a 4x4 truck I drive into anything and a tractor. Do i save a couple $k and get a electric or gas golf cart? Or convince me I need a UTV. (Did I mention I'm pretty cheap?) Not much variation in terrain-just really woodsy in parts - cutting a 5 ft wide fence-line. Any advice appreciated.

Look for a used John Deere turf gator, their way better than a golf cart and about the same price. I would stay away from an electric golf cart, maintenance is terrible compared to a gas one.

There's no way I'm right, and every other cattleman is wrong, but I prefer an Atv, and a small trailer. Many will disagree, but it's the way to go for me. Ride seems smoother, and when I don't have the trailer hooked up I have more speed, and maneuverability on my terrain than a side by side. A carry all on the back of a small tractor will haul more than a side by side as well. You can pick it up, let down, and pull the pin your top link to dump it.

I can tell you from experience utvs and atvs are the way to go golf carts just cause more problems and get stuck more often did I mention most don't have 4 wheel drive.

forget the golf cart go with a UTV.the UTVs are built for rough farm work.now the only questions are gas or diesel 2 or 4wd drive.

pdubdo":1n3iw51w said:
Son of Butch":1n3iw51w said:
I think a wise man would ask his wife what would she prefer.
wise words!

I agree.

Just went Friday and picked up a Club Car Utility Golf Cart for my boss's wife. He has multiple UTVs but she wanted a golf cart. I don't blame her one bit. Its quiet and easy to operate. I was driving with in 60-70yds of hogs and deer at the feeders. :)

If you can swing it... I would find a used electric cart for the wife. They can be had in good shape for around 3K. Then I would find a used Mule or Ranger for 7K for me. Then every one is happy and your still cheaper than a new utv.

Instead of spending money on utv alot of people around here go with a compact suv like geo tracker 2 door convertable. Usually can gettum for a grand or two and size is pretty close to utv.

If you have a 4x4 truck and tractor and flat land. I would say you are done for now. Just make your lanes wider along the fence line. Invest your money in your cows and facilities. Wait a couple of years and let them buy you a UTV or an ATV. If you got mud, you will need a 4x4. I have a 4x4 ATV for accessing remote fencelines and going out into pastures that are too wet for the truck. An ATV would also probably be easier to maneuver through woodlands than a UTV/golfcart.

im with bigfoot...prairie for me with a winch and a box for tools....goes anywhere and if that wont lift it itll pull a trlr or the tractor will do it then

dieselbeef":2ba2ayxj said:
im with bigfoot...prairie for me with a winch and a box for tools....goes anywhere and if that wont lift it itll pull a trlr or the tractor will do it then

but, but, but....I gotta keep up with the Jones (what do they have?) LOL

Around about the second time the batterys are dead when you need it it will end up parked a lot more then driven.

A lot of UTVs showing up here. Neighbor just got a Kawasaki, says Kaw was cheaper than other makes he priced with the same features. His has enclosed cab and 4x4.

ATV is good enough for me ,but then I don't do much anymore :oops: The major advantage I see for the ATV over a UTV is the ATV fits in a pickup or stock trailer :idea:

John SD":272xhyet said:
A lot of UTVs showing up here. Neighbor just got a Kawasaki, says Kaw was cheaper than other makes he priced with the same features. His has enclosed cab and 4x4.

ATV is good enough for me ,but then I don't do much anymore :oops: The major advantage I see for the ATV over a UTV is the ATV fits in a pickup or stock trailer :idea:
The biggest negative I see in the ATV is having to throw your leg over to ride it. Haven;t been able to do that for years, if I could I would probably still be riding horses instead.

dun":xyz7oif4 said:
John SD":xyz7oif4 said:

The biggest negative I see in the ATV is having to throw your leg over to ride it. Haven;t been able to do that for years, if I could I would probably still be riding horses instead.

I can still throw my leg over .... but that day is coming for me too :oops:

Old fellow I knew just rode his ATV sidesaddle. I find the smaller the better... I stay with 2 wheels.. I have a Honda 100 for putzing around, and a 500 that tows a trailer.

i do sidesaddle a lot..specially fencing off on stapling. I wwas in the same deal..which to get..i got the quad..it does it all for me

Latest posts