What breed should I use?

Help Support CattleToday:

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":2zf95v7f said:
however in france they did have some black salers calves born out of red on red cattle. The french didnt want em black so they would knock those calves in the head and dispose of them as they wanted to keep their herds all red. .

Red cattle bred to red cattle do not produce black. Maybe they knocked them in the head because they were out of a black sneaky neighbor bull.

jnowack":1g5g6mze said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":1g5g6mze said:
however in france they did have some black salers calves born out of red on red cattle. The french didnt want em black so they would knock those calves in the head and dispose of them as they wanted to keep their herds all red. .

Red cattle bred to red cattle do not produce black. Maybe they knocked them in the head because they were out of a black sneaky neighbor bull.

I have to agree.....I have yet to see a black Red Poll out of two purebred Red Polls.

back to the original question. i would use the hereford #1 choice or char #2 choice. baldies are hot and so are smokies.

Frankie":14dqdk4r said:
The Black Hereford Association has rules about what can and cannot be registered. You can't go buy black baldies and register them as Black Herefords. You can make up your own rules, but you still can't register generic black baldies as Black Herefords.

True. I believe they have to be 13/16 Hereford to be registered as a "purebred" black hereford. To call them black baldies would be like calling a black bull that is 31/32 Simmie a SimAngus or one that is 31/32 Gelbvieh a Balancer.

That being said, I want to clarify that I was not trying to defend the black hereford "breed" in my previous post. A person has a right to breed anything they wish, but black herefords are not Herefords and should not be allowed to use the name. How they get away with it is beyond me. Herefords can stand on their own and don't need any influx of any other breeds to make them better. That is done by Hereford breeders using Hereford genetics. I applaud the AHA for not allowing black herefords to be registered as Herefords. (In case you hadn't noticed, I capitalize cattle breeds but have not capitalized the name "black hereford." There is a reason for that.)

I know I'm rambling here, but I guess what I was trying to say was that ALL breeds that used to be red or white and are now black have SOMETHING in the woodpile, not just black herefords. The comment about black Salers coming from red Salers can't be right. Red on red always produces red. At least thats what I've always seen and heard. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

Somebody made the comment earlier about this subject being beaten to death already. They're absolutely right so I'm stopping now. Sorry about getting so off track from the original post.

Latest posts