What breed should I use?

Help Support CattleToday:

Danny

Reaction score
I'm going to be getting some Brangus cows and want to know y'all's opinions as to what kind of bull to use. I've been thinking about hereford, charolais, angus or brangus. I'll be selling steers at the sale barn and maybe selling my better heifers as replacements. Let me know what you think.

if your going too be selling replacements i would go with brangus or angus.although the hereford makes a great cross too but for the market the char,x would be great

brangus or angus would probably sell best here in georgia for whatever purpose.

IMO, use a good Hereford bull, no question. In my area, black baldy calves bring more than straight blacks. The superbaldy heifers from the Brangus-Hereford cross are white-hot up here (NW Ga). In the UGA H.E.R.D. sale last month at Calhoun, every BWF heifer in the sale went for more than the sale average.

Kent":ak2sq6ib said:
IMO, use a good Hereford bull, no question. In my area, black baldy calves bring more than straight blacks. The superbaldy heifers from the Brangus-Hereford cross are white-hot up here (NW Ga). In the UGA H.E.R.D. sale last month at Calhoun, every BWF heifer in the sale went for more than the sale average.
the reason i like the black angus/ brangus cross is it gives the replacement customer better options to go in other directions . i like the superbaldy my self, great cross the charolais cross on brangus makes a great terminal cross

Chalais X Brangus do great here.
I like those super baldies (BrangusX hereford)
You could also use a braford bull depending on how buyers in your area like brahman influence

If you were to keep replacements for yourself I would use a Brangus or a Braford.

ALACOWMAN":2plpn1te said:
Kent":2plpn1te said:
the reason i like the black angus/ brangus cross is it gives the replacement customer better options to go in other directions . i like the superbaldy my self, great cross the charolais cross on brangus makes a great terminal cross

That cross would certainly work well and sell well, but I disagree that you have more options that way, and you have less maternal hybrid vigor with that cross. Plus, where he lives, the superbaldy is selling better, as are the steers. The baldy is about as proven a cross as you can get. But, everyone has his opinion, and I respect yours.

Kent":1phxih6g said:
ALACOWMAN":1phxih6g said:
Kent":1phxih6g said:

That cross would certainly work well and sell well, but I disagree that you have more options that way, and you have less maternal hybrid vigor with that cross. Plus, where he lives, the superbaldy is selling better, as are the steers. The baldy is about as proven a cross as you can get. But, everyone has his opinion, and I respect yours.
what im saying kent is this. i would be offering the customer a base cow too make their on decisions with not make it for them. you can limit your customers when you go dabbleing with breeds too me a strait brangus or angus heifers would be more appealing.that way i can buy my on hereford or angus or balancer or simm. pretty much the way danny is talking about buying strait brangus and using a different bull it will be his choice

OK, AlaCM, I understand. You and I are probably not too far apart on this. My philosophy is to provide a British based female that has maximum maternal hybrid vigor, i.e. a Hereford/Angus or Hereford/Brangus female. Then the man can use either a Hereford, Angus, or Continental bull of his choosing and get additional hybrid vigor in the calf. Where I live, most people run Angus bulls. If you take a 13/16ths Angus cow, which is what a Brangus x Angus is, the farmers around here with Angus bulls will get almost a straightbred Angus calf out of that cow. May be just a regional difference between you and I.

If you want a black baldie every time you need to cross black cattle with our blackhereford bull. Last year we cross bred to some black main anjou and got baldies every time.

To their credit they do admit that the Black comes from Angus on their website. Most Black Herefords are 7/8s Hereford or more.

texbulldog":mb6nx3cs said:
If you want a black baldie every time you need to cross black cattle with our blackhereford bull. Last year we cross bred to some black main anjou and got baldies every time.

Not all black herefords will throw a baldy every time. The white face is controlled by a dominant gene that reguar herefords are predominantly homozygous for this gene. When you crossed them to ge the black gene the non-white face gene from the angus could still be there in subsequent generations.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":2kjka6sf said:
All a black hereford is is a black baldie. Someone decided one day hey lets make our own herd society for black baldies. Well they called it the Black hereford association which was a crock. Still has angus in the wood pile whether people want to admit it or not.

Gelbvieh, Salers, Simmies, Maines, Charolais, South Devon. All can now be black. What's in their woodpile? Why is it OK for them and not for Herefords?

ALACOWMAN":riyc03aj said:
Kent":riyc03aj said:
I agree, I think the Angus Brangus cross would work well. :cboy:

VanC":1cqd0mpz said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":1cqd0mpz said:
All a black hereford is is a black baldie. Someone decided one day hey lets make our own herd society for black baldies. Well they called it the Black hereford association which was a crock. Still has angus in the wood pile whether people want to admit it or not.

Gelbvieh, Salers, Simmies, Maines, Charolais, South Devon. All can now be black. What's in their woodpile? Why is it OK for them and not for Herefords?

To be blunt, because they are HEREFORDS, for goodness sake. They are every bit as good as Angus in every respect and don't need a black hide borrowed from the Angus to bring top dollar. The Hereford breed will advance on its own merits through the hard work and dedication of its breeders and by keeping the Herd Book CLOSED.

The name "Black Hereford" is ridiculous. Why not "White-face Angus"? Can you hear the Angus guys howling about that name? I can, and rightfully so. It's just stupid. Hereford breeders don't want anyone thinking that the great Hereford breed is so desperate that they have to turn their cattle's hides black in order to make money with them.

The other breeds who have turned black have also had to struggle to get their breeds introduced into this country because of importation restrictions on live animals. Most of them had to breed up using other breeds as a starting point. They have never had the closed herd book that Herefords and Angus have. It is just different.

This horse has been beat to death, but "Black Herefords" are not endorsed by the great American Hereford Association, nor will they ever be. They are mooching off the reputation of the Hereford for free, without permission, to make a cheap dollar. If they want to start their own breed using mostly Hereford genetics, more power to them. Just don't call it a Black Hereford, because once you use an animal not in the Hereford Herd Book, the resulting progeny and their great great great grandprogeny cannot be called Herefords, no matter how many times they are backcrossed to Hereford bulls.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":3sl46bhz said:
I understand where you are coming from van. However saying that black baldies are black herefords and being able to register them is like saying my Saler bull is actually a black hereford and i can register him to with the "Black Hereford Association". Tell ya what im gonna do. Im gonna go buy me 8-10 black baldies and register them with the "Black Hereford Association" Then im gonna breed em to my homozygous black Saler bull. Then im gonna double register em as a saler optimizer and a black hereford. LOL Now i know you probably cant double register them but if they can make their own rules why cant I? Secondly Salers were originally red yes, however in france they did have some black salers calves born out of red on red cattle. The french didnt want em black so they would knock those calves in the head and dispose of them as they wanted to keep their herds all red. So to say that angus is in the salers wood pile way back is inaccurate.

The Black Hereford Association has rules about what can and cannot be registered. You can't go buy black baldies and register them as Black Herefords. You can make up your own rules, but you still can't register generic black baldies as Black Herefords.

they would knock those calves in the head....
:lol: :lol:

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":2rrazqn4 said:
I understand where you are coming from van. However saying that black baldies are black herefords and being able to register them is like saying my Saler bull is actually a black hereford and i can register him to with the "Black Hereford Association". Tell ya what im gonna do. Im gonna go buy me 8-10 black baldies and register them with the "Black Hereford Association" Then im gonna breed em to my homozygous black Saler bull. Then im gonna double register em as a saler optimizer and a black hereford. LOL Now i know you probably cant double register them but if they can make their own rules why cant I? Secondly Salers were originally red yes, however in france they did have some black salers calves born out of red on red cattle. The french didnt want em black so they would knock those calves in the head
  • and dispose of them as they wanted to keep their herds all red. So to say that angus is
in the salers wood pile way back is inaccurate.
that sounds like the french no sence in putting them in the freezer.

Latest posts