What are the biggest health issues you are facing right now?

Help Support CattleToday:

comanchetexascattle

Reaction score
Curious to know what the most significant health issues you are currently facing with your animals or that you are currently concerned about right now ..

Pneumonia in (primarily) my weaned calves. In spite of Inforce 3 at birth, Triangle 4+PH-K at appx. 3 months and Vista Once at weaning, I can't fight Mother Nature.

Anticipating a lot of snow & muddy conditions this winter, so my future concern is the potential for foot rot in my cows.

I found a calf about a month old laying in the sun on its side gasping for air. Went back to the house to get some antibiotic and when I got back it was dead. I checked them all real good and fed the herd some cubes Thursday. Yesterday it was almost dark by the time I got to look at them and didn't get a good look at everyone.

Came home from the post office with a chill. I couldn't get warm. Had a temperature of 99.4. By noon it was 100 and I was shaking like a leaf in a wind storm. It got up to 101.8 but now it has broken and was back in the 99 range last I checked. Other than that I am pretty darn healthy for a 69 year old.

It just goes to show you never know what comes home with sale barn cows (and I should know better).
I bought 20 bred cows last December; herd dispersales, had "all" their breeding shots at preg check time. I put them on a farm that didn't have easy access to a chute so they didn't get any more vaccines until spring turn out. I got 19 really nice calves and was excited to get these new cows bred to my bulls.
Well preg check time came this fall and I had 12 opens out of those 20 new cows.
After that horrible sick feeling passed my vet and I decided to blood test those new open cows. They came back positive for Neospora, Anaplasmosis, and Lepto. Some only had one ailment, two were positive for all three!
My vet has devised a plan to get this mess all cleaned up, but it's still an extremely frustrating mess.

Pneumonia in (primarily) my weaned calves. In spite of Inforce 3 at birth, Triangle 4+PH-K at appx. 3 months and Vista Once at weaning, I can't fight Mother Nature.

Anticipating a lot of snow & muddy conditions this winter, so my future concern is the potential for foot rot in my cows.
I started using Once PMH IN at about 2-3months old. It seems to make a huge difference in pneumonia problems in the fall.

It just goes to show you never know what comes home with sale barn cows (and I should know better).
I bought 20 bred cows last December; herd dispersales, had "all" their breeding shots at preg check time. I put them on a farm that didn't have easy access to a chute so they didn't get any more vaccines until spring turn out. I got 19 really nice calves and was excited to get these new cows bred to my bulls.
Well preg check time came this fall and I had 12 opens out of those 20 new cows.
After that horrible sick feeling passed my vet and I decided to blood test those new open cows. They came back positive for Neospora, Anaplasmosis, and Lepto. Some only had one ailment, two were positive for all three!
My vet has devised a plan to get this mess all cleaned up, but it's still an extremely frustrating mess.
Yikes, triple whammy! Did you cull the Neospora positives? I have one confirmed positive for Anaplasmosis but caught it early before it became an active infection; vet treated her with LA and a year and a half later, she's doing great.

Yikes, triple whammy! Did you cull the Neospora positives? I have one confirmed positive for Anaplasmosis but caught it early before it became an active infection; vet treated her with LA and a year and a half later, she's doing great.
My vet said to try and tended them one time. If they stick they will be fall cows, if they don't breed or abort then cull them. The Anaplas cows got two rounds of ctc. They will get LA latter this week when the group gets revaccinated for Lepto.

And that's okay to use while they're still nursing if the dam has not been vaccinated with a mod live within the past 12 months, right? Couldn't find any info that indicates otherwise.
Yes, we give it right before bull turn out and seem to be good.

How would the calf health be if you did not wean them?

How would the calf health be if you did not wean them?
Had to treat one (out of 4) of the calves I didn't wean. We went from a record high of 78, dry, & super windy (and dusty!) to a snow storm, followed by an ice storm with a wind chill in the teens, followed by 4" of rain. Just one big suck!

I haven't had any issues but neighbor B has had. He has about 250 purchased calves on another farm. The corral is big enough that they have weaned 500 there. One day there was 4 dead. No real good indication as to why. They walked through and looked carefully at them. The next morning 4 more dead. Fast acting pneumonia? That afternoon they all went down the chute and got the temps checked. Anyone with even a slightly high temp got Zactran. The ones with normal got LA300.
He had allowed a renter there last year to have a small bunch of calves down in the lower end of this pen. He had a lot of problems losing calves. B is now talking about tearing the corral down and burning it up. Then bring a Cat in and stripping of the top foot of soil. Spread lots of lime and giving it a couple of years off.

Latest posts