What are prices doing?

Help Support CattleToday:

Two weeks ago was an uptick, its come down a little over the last week but the futures haven't been jumping around too much so prices have been better than expected the last few days. What the futures do tomorrow will probably tell you what is gonna happen the rest of the week. This is just what I'm seeing in my area, it could be different where you are at.

I said 2 weeks, I think the little rise in the futures came when the on feed report came out, which was on August 25 I think.

Cows are down a tad but calves were high yesterday. Folks seem to think there will be a tight fat supply next spring... Got a call from a seed stock guy today. He wanted to sell some heifer calves ASAP (before another fall market collapse like the past two years). He had to slash prices last October to move them.

Talking heads are now projecting a slow cow herd expansion for the next couple years. They guess at future pricing but admit it will take increased exports to avoid a wreak.

Our two local sale barns had huge runs of earlier than normal weaned calves and yearlings off grass on Monday and Tuesday. 6000 head at one barn and 4000 at another. 5 wt steers bringing 1.90-1.95. Heifers 1.70-1.75

Dueyb":2m0y647u said:
Our two local sale barns had huge runs of earlier than normal weaned calves and yearlings off grass on Monday and Tuesday. 6000 head at one barn and 4000 at another. 5 wt steers bringing 1.90-1.95. Heifers 1.70-1.75
Where is this?

Dueyb":35d0e991 said:

Wher are u located ? I would love to sell 500 weight steers for 1.9

pricefarm":14kul6nq said:
Dueyb":14kul6nq said:

5 wts here are barely getting 1.90, in canadian dollars (~.80 usd exchange)

Grain buyers are loading up. Beef article just said that break even for Sept 2017 placements is about U$S 106 fats - - so feeders/packers should continue to make $$$ next spring. I think some cow/calf folks (not meeee :? ) are damaged from the fall feeder price collapses in the previous two years...

Prices are what they are. Question is - - should we retain?

All I can say is last year really hurt. This past spring was a bit of a boost, but still feeling the sting from last fall, so hoping for a small tick up versus down for sales this fall.

pricefarm":1oafcuaw said:
Dueyb":1oafcuaw said:

Knoxville and Russell Iowa. We have very poor corn in the area this year so there is and will be an abundance of silage so I'm guessing that is being bid into break evens.

Talking heads are saying that if grain stays cheap and the dollar stays down and US demand stays strong - - then feeders will be over U$S 170. Its in the bag! :banana: Time to buy some more cows. :nod:

Stocker Steve":d66o0dy7 said:
BC":d66o0dy7 said:
Packer cows are getting cheaper. Plants in Texas took $6 off saying they are covered up.

Are they getting a lot of hurricane cows?
Not really. A friend buys for several plants and he says they are coming from the north and west.

Latest posts