What does value added mean ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Value added is about the same general list as @M.Magis . Usually here they will announce what the calves have had,,, etc... value added is a term that they put on the reporting list to not have to go through and list every different thing they have had. Many times there is a bigger margin over calves not having had things done.... here we see an average of $.10 to .30 a lb benefit...

Gotta ask yourself if weaning a calf for 45/60 days adds more pennies per pound than keeping the calf on the cow and letting it gain the added weight from milk nutrition. I think I know the answer, but I'm betting there would be people that are invested in their own methods regardless of what the actual numbers are. Of course it would depend a lot on the spread.

To get the value added money around here we have to ship calves to a bigger sale or wait for one of the 3 local barns to have a special sale. This was a hard lesson for me to learn. Only thing I can figure is the buyers at the local sales are there for calves that were trailer weaned and they can get at a discounted price. Weaned calves are a bonus for them. Also usually buyers looking for Value Added calves want a truckload of the same weight class. Might be 500, 600, or 700 pounders. If they can't get a full truckload they'll dock them pretty hard since they have to keep them until they get a truckload. Another lesson I learned the hard way. I'm sure every area is different but that's how it happens around here.

To get the value added money around here we have to ship calves to a bigger sale or wait for one of the 3 local barns to have a special sale. This was a hard lesson for me to learn. Only thing I can figure is the buyers at the local sales are there for calves that were trailer weaned and they can get at a discounted price. Weaned calves are a bonus for them. Also usually buyers looking for Value Added calves want a truckload of the same weight class. Might be 500, 600, or 700 pounders. If they can't get a full truckload they'll dock them pretty hard since they have to keep them until they get a truckload. Another lesson I learned the hard way. I'm sure every area is different but that's how it happens around here.
Like it is here. There are no 18 wheelers in the yard at the sales. Most of the auction owners buy a lot of the trailer weaned calves, and they go to each others sales to do so. They take them back home, where they do worm, vaccinate, castrate, implant etc, and feed them out for a while. Then, when they do have a truckload of like kind and size, they send them out west to a feedlot. Here, most all cattle operations are cow-calf. Actually, we are grass producers, and cattle and hay are how we market the grass. No one retains heifers, or grows steers for a year, etc. They would be eating the grass that you could have had another cow on. Once a calf is 6 mos old, it is time to trailer wean it, and use that money to buy another cow.

Latest posts