What to do?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Looks like prices are going up.
Not sure what to make of it or how long it will last. Logically I would say it ain't gonna last but. Kind of throwing around some options in our minds. One is possibly doing a heavy culling if the trend continues.
Maybe sell several and buy back some cheaper Corrientes and get Charolais bull, probably just kidding especially on the first part of that?
Reckon cow prices will go much higher toward spring?
Looks like a lot of cattle hitting the market now, wonder if that trend continues if it will cool the market or if the demand will stay?

We're expecting prices to keep climbing especially if we get the moisture this spring and summer.
Lots of good cattle (cows) has hit the market in the last 2 years, for HB.
We are planning on a almost complete sell out if prices are high in the spring.
We will make hay and buy more if we have the right conditions.

Not sure what to make of it or how long it will last. Logically I would say it ain't gonna last but. Kind of throwing around some options in our minds. One is possibly doing a heavy culling if the trend continues.
Maybe sell several and buy back some cheaper Corrientes and get Charolais bull, probably just kidding especially on the first part of that?
Reckon cow prices will go much higher toward spring?
Looks like a lot of cattle hitting the market now, wonder if that trend continues if it will cool the market or if the demand will stay?
Hold till fall, get the big money for your calves and then sell enough cows to not owe or not owe much. This is the market doing what it is supposed to do.
While I type this I wonder when another BSE cow will show up or another fake market crash to help out those who control us…………

Hold till fall, get the big money for your calves and then sell enough cows to not owe or not owe much. This is the market doing what it is supposed to do.
While I type this I wonder when another BSE cow will show up or another fake market crash to help out those who control us…………
Yeah, no joke..... but I think that there are enough of a reduction in the cattle herds that they might be "afraid" to come up with a BSE outbreak..... all the ones touting this whole "cattle farts" and all that happy horse sh!t.... still like to eat steak and such themselves.... Wouldn't do to hurt their own situation... you know, bite off your nose to spite your face....

You're right, that's exactly what I'm afraid of. Now that the market is coming up, you just wonder at what point something out of the blue will happen to get it back to where the powers that be want it.

Prices are going up, but apparently not for me. Sold a black heifer and steer on Jan 11.
600lb heifer $1.10
700lb steer $1.20

Inflation and things that were taking a toll on the US economy 1 year ago are finally rippling through the cattle market?? The ear tag shortage has everything on backorder. No more electronic tags for me until the supply chain starts working. Back to a plain numbered tag.

Already been planning to sell a few cows this spring after weaning the fall calves. Older cows, cows that are too fat, etc

Are they?
When I was a kid, I remember a couple old farmers talking about how many market hogs it takes to buy a new truck vs their last pickup. They were measuring their purchasing power with real world farm economy experience. My point is, what's the effect on your purchasing power. Are cattle up enough to keep pace with inflation?

Prices are going up, but apparently not for me. Sold a black heifer and steer on Jan 11.
600lb heifer $1.10
700lb steer $1.20

Inflation and things that were taking a toll on the US economy 1 year ago are finally rippling through the cattle market?? The ear tag shortage has everything on backorder. No more electronic tags for me until the supply chain starts working. Back to a plain numbered tag.

Already been planning to sell a few cows this spring after weaning the fall calves. Older cows, cows that are too fat, etc
Shyte fire, where are you?

Are they?
When I was a kid, I remember a couple old farmers talking about how many market hogs it takes to buy a new truck vs their last pickup. They were measuring their purchasing power with real world farm economy experience. My point is, what's the effect on your purchasing power. Are cattle up enough to keep pace with inflation?
Nothing farmers are selling is going up enough to match inflation

Feeder cattle futures for August through November are at$2.00 to $2.08. The LRP projected price on 600-1000 pound steers are Aug $2.02, Sept $$2.04, Oct $$2.07, & Nov $2.08. If you are really concerned about a drop in the market LRP makes a lot of sense.

Sometimes it is better not to say what is on your mind,,

Food items are one of the main things the government tracks and uses to calculate inflation. They have the system rigged to keep the inflation numbers as low as possible. Many of the farm programs are what I would call a back-end rebate, they pay you pandemic money, subsidies, etc. on the back end rather than allow the commodity prices to rise to a level that is sustainable for the farmer or rancher. They give you just enough to keep you in business producing the food they need.

Latest posts