Does more pounds per acre make up for being docked at the sale barn for small frame size?

Help Support CattleToday:

I did. I wasn't meaning for my comment to be taken negatively. I was pointing out that EVERYONE'S business model is different from everyone elses business model. Your buisness model may be unique, but everyone's business model is unique to them, and unlike anyone elses. I write grazing plans as part of my career. I've written many that are similar to many others, and I've written many that are quite different from any other grazing plan I have written, but I have yet to write two grazing plans that are identical.
I guess I took it that way when it was addressed to me. I wrote nutrient management plans, grazing plans, and farm plans for a living for 22 years. I certainly learned that people have a very wide variety of business plans.

I just watched a grazing video were a man said he increased his " beef production and pounds per acre by 30%". Of course I was all ears on this one. He claimed he did this by moving from 1500# cows to 1000# cows. By doing this he could graze 3 cows instead of 2. He didn't elaborate on anything else but I doubt he increased his pfofits by 30% just by going to smaller cattle. With the Angus or black calves bringing the premium these days I'd wonder if any of the angus cross cattle raising calves that'll grow to a good frame size and finish out at 1,200# weigh in at 1,000# or less. I personally think 1,500# plus cows are too big and require too many inputs for my area but they do need to weigh in around 1,250# on avg.

Latest posts