What am I ???????

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 31, 2006
Messages
9,930
Reaction score
9
Location
Alberta, Canada
Mr. HD wants to know what this is it, is growing in our reseeded hay field that was under seeded with oats..

Thank you.. :wave:

IMG_1769.jpg
 
OP
hillsdown

hillsdown

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 31, 2006
Messages
9,930
Reaction score
9
Location
Alberta, Canada
I don't think it's foxtail as it is smaller and we do have some foxtail around here but the "tail" is already fluffy and these guys have seeds in them.

Do all millet varieties grow wild on their own ?
 
OP
hillsdown

hillsdown

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 31, 2006
Messages
9,930
Reaction score
9
Location
Alberta, Canada
I just googled foxtail again and that is what it does look like.

So is it wild or was it in with my seed mixture.. :?
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
7
Location
MO Ozarks
hillsdown":14vh8oyx said:
I just googled foxtail again and that is what it does look like.

So is it wild or was it in with my seed mixture.. :?
Yes
 

Bez+

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 28, 2007
Messages
1,011
Reaction score
0
Location
Still trying to get back to even.
hillsdown":4o3xyq0v said:
Mr. HD wants to know what this is it, is growing in our reseeded hay field that was under seeded with oats..

Thank you.. :wave:

IMG_1769.jpg

You are in Central Alberta - Yeah - Foxtail is common there.

It might not have come from your seed - registered seed folks are pretty fussy - although it does happen. It could very well have come there naturally or be a left over from what was previously in the field.

Unless you plan to rogue the field - hand pick - you will find there are probably all sorts of "things" that you did not plant that are coming along quite nicely. Seeds from many years ago just love to come up and sprout when you least want them or expect them.

Cows will eat it so not to panic - unless of course it is a full crop! Hope not.

Cheers

Bez+
 

Bez+

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 28, 2007
Messages
1,011
Reaction score
0
Location
Still trying to get back to even.
hillsdown":3ejj353d said:
Mr. HD wants to know what this is it, is growing in our reseeded hay field that was under seeded with oats..

Thank you.. :wave:

IMG_1769.jpg

You are in Central Alberta - Yeah - Foxtail is common there.

It might not have come from your seed - registered seed folks are pretty fussy - although it does happen. It could very well have come there naturally or be a left over from what was previously in the field.

Unless you plan to rogue the field - hand pick - you will find there are probably all sorts of "things" that you did not plant that are coming along quite nicely. Seeds from many years ago just love to come up and sprout when you least want them or expect them.

Cows will eat it so not to panic - unless of course it is a full crop! Hope not. Cut this stuff early if there is lots of it - some types of Foxtail tends to irritate the cows mouth - and that is a real problem for folks in the north as that can put them off hay.

Cheers

Bez+
 

mnmtranching

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 29, 2006
Messages
5,061
Reaction score
0
Location
MN
There must be a dozen varieties of wild foxtail and I think I have them all. Yup, yours is a common foxtail and you must have had it all along. Everybody else has.
 

2/B or not 2/B

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 25, 2007
Messages
516
Reaction score
0
Location
California / Sierra Nevada Foothills
I guess there are a lot of grasses called foxtails. We have them like mad here, the more dangerous kind with tiny one way barbs that work their way deep into the tissue if they get in an eye, ear, between the toes, or in the mouth. These are the ones:

1181999750435.jpg

foxtail42.jpg


We call HD's foxtail rabbits foot grass. The seed head is soft and fluffy and breaks into pretty small particles when it's dry. They can still get in an eye and be irritating, but definitely not as bad.

images


images
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
7
Location
MO Ozarks
2/B or not 2/B":w3gjz8eo said:
I guess there are a lot of grasses called foxtails. We have them like mad here, the more dangerous kind with tiny one way barbs that work their way deep into the tissue if they get in an eye, ear, between the toes, or in the mouth. These are the ones:

1181999750435.jpg

foxtail42.jpg


We call HD's foxtail rabbits foot grass. The seed head is soft and fluffy and breaks into pretty small particles when it's dry. They can still get in an eye and be irritating, but definitely not as bad.

images


images

On the west coast the first thing you posted is what we always called foxtail. Very hard on dogs that sniff a lot. They snort them up inside their nose and it's a mess to get them out. I was confused when I moved here and they started calling all of these various millet looking things foxtails.
 

john250

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 27, 2006
Messages
8,301
Reaction score
0
Location
Holton, IN elevation 768 ft
mnmtranching":34b99cca said:
There must be a dozen varieties of wild foxtail and I think I have them all. Yup, yours is a common foxtail and you must have had it all along. Everybody else has.

Yep. I would call that "green foxtail" in these parts. Short growing and the seedhead comes up a little later than some of the other foxtails.
 

Alberta farmer

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 13, 2008
Messages
376
Reaction score
0
hillsdown: It is green foxtail, also known as wild millet. Pretty common in cereal crops in central Alberta. I wouldn't worry too much about it in a hay crop as it is an annual. It can be a real problem in a grain crop.
 

mnmtranching

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 29, 2006
Messages
5,061
Reaction score
0
Location
MN
Anybody have foxtail barley. Now that's is something you don't want in your hay.
 

IluvABbeef

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 29, 2006
Messages
3,630
Reaction score
0
hillsdown":z2jr23lg said:
Mr. HD wants to know what this is it, is growing in our reseeded hay field that was under seeded with oats..

Thank you.. :wave:

IMG_1769.jpg

Seems to me everyone got it wrong.

This is Meadow Foxtail. It grows here too, but it's the stuff that the cattle won't eat because of the nasty bitter taste, and I find clumps of it in perfect, non-bitten-off condition around the pasture.
 

novaman

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 21, 2005
Messages
1,741
Reaction score
0
Location
North Dakota
IluvABbeef":2rkvgey7 said:
Seems to me everyone got it wrong.

This is Meadow Foxtail. It grows here too, but it's the stuff that the cattle won't eat because of the nasty bitter taste, and I find clumps of it in perfect, non-bitten-off condition around the pasture.
I would like to here your explanation as to how you arrived at meadow.
 

Latest posts

Top