What am I ???????

Help Support CattleToday:

novaman":30k4ue8q said:
IluvABbeef":30k4ue8q said:
Seems to me everyone got it wrong.

This is Meadow Foxtail. It grows here too, but it's the stuff that the cattle won't eat because of the nasty bitter taste, and I find clumps of it in perfect, non-bitten-off condition around the pasture.
I would like to here your explanation as to how you arrived at meadow.

Meadow Foxtail (Alopecurus pratensis)

From my forages notes, and from the clipping I had taken from the lab and taped into my notes, looks VERY similar to that what HD has posted on here. The seed head is fluffy; from a distance it looks similar to timothy, but with closer examination it is different.

THAT is how I arrived at that solution. :nod:

IluvABbeef":155r6fqq said:
novaman":155r6fqq said:
IluvABbeef":155r6fqq said:

This is Meadow Foxtail. It grows here too, but it's the stuff that the cattle won't eat because of the nasty bitter taste, and I find clumps of it in perfect, non-bitten-off condition around the pasture.

From my forages notes, and from the clipping I had taken from the lab and taped into my notes, looks VERY similar to that what HD has posted on here. The seed head is fluffy; from a distance it looks similar to timothy, but with closer examination it is different.

I was hoping for something a bit more convincing. Hate to say it but you are wrong. It is green foxtail. If you don't believe me google meadow foxtail and tell me it looks the same as this photo.

I'm going with common green foxtail and cattle love the stuff in it's growing stage.

Either way it is all laying in swaths drying now until the green feed can be baled.. :lol2: Going to be in the high 20's this week so should dry quickly ...Yippeee. :banana:

I said 75 bales and Mr. HD says 130 bales off the 25 acres.. I will let you know who is closer,,I hope he is right ,,,for once.. ;-)

quote="novaman"]
IluvABbeef":1cb0nfgf said:
novaman":1cb0nfgf said:
IluvABbeef":1cb0nfgf said:

I was hoping for something a bit more convincing. Hate to say it but you are wrong. It is green foxtail. If you don't believe me google meadow foxtail and tell me it looks the same as this photo.[/quote]

Fine, I was wrong then. Sorry...

Green Foxtail

Meadow Foxtail

All I can tell you is don't stick anything with a seed head looking like that in your mouth because it will crawl right down your throat and cause a wide range of emergencies.

hillsdown":1ja8tics said:
Mr. HD wants to know what this is it, is growing in our reseeded hay field that was under seeded with oats..

Thank you.. :wave:

It looks like giant foxtail.

mnmtranching":2dhrajsw said:
Anybody have foxtail barley. Now that's is something you don't want in your hay.

Yes, but we keep it sprayed - I've gotten into the habit of carrying a sprayer full of round-up with me almost every day, and I nail it anytime I see it. If the amount of it I see everywhere is any indication, I think we are the only people in the county that spray for it. :roll:

There is a very effective spray for foxtail barley called Kerb. It isn't cheap and it needs really cold ground to work and it is a suspended powder, but it does work.

Alberta farmer":1w75aykk said:
There is a very effective spray for foxtail barley called Kerb. It isn't cheap and it needs really cold ground to work and it is a suspended powder, but it does work.

The only good thing about foxtail barley is that is grows in a clump, so it is very easy to spot spray. Our infestation tends to be limited to specific areas, so it is no problem to mix up a sprayer and tend to it. If I don't happen to find any foxtail barley on that particular day, I can always find some other noxious weed to spray! :lol: :lol:

Latest posts