What am I ???????

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
Mr. HD wants to know what this is it, is growing in our reseeded hay field that was under seeded with oats..

Thank you.. :wave:

IMG_1769.jpg

I don't think it's foxtail as it is smaller and we do have some foxtail around here but the "tail" is already fluffy and these guys have seeds in them.

Do all millet varieties grow wild on their own ?

I just googled foxtail again and that is what it does look like.

So is it wild or was it in with my seed mixture.. :?

hillsdown":14vh8oyx said:
I just googled foxtail again and that is what it does look like.

So is it wild or was it in with my seed mixture.. :?
Yes

hillsdown":4o3xyq0v said:
Mr. HD wants to know what this is it, is growing in our reseeded hay field that was under seeded with oats..

IMG_1769.jpg

You are in Central Alberta - Yeah - Foxtail is common there.

It might not have come from your seed - registered seed folks are pretty fussy - although it does happen. It could very well have come there naturally or be a left over from what was previously in the field.

Unless you plan to rogue the field - hand pick - you will find there are probably all sorts of "things" that you did not plant that are coming along quite nicely. Seeds from many years ago just love to come up and sprout when you least want them or expect them.

Cows will eat it so not to panic - unless of course it is a full crop! Hope not.

Cheers

Bez+

hillsdown":3ejj353d said:

IMG_1769.jpg

You are in Central Alberta - Yeah - Foxtail is common there.

It might not have come from your seed - registered seed folks are pretty fussy - although it does happen. It could very well have come there naturally or be a left over from what was previously in the field.

Unless you plan to rogue the field - hand pick - you will find there are probably all sorts of "things" that you did not plant that are coming along quite nicely. Seeds from many years ago just love to come up and sprout when you least want them or expect them.

Cows will eat it so not to panic - unless of course it is a full crop! Hope not. Cut this stuff early if there is lots of it - some types of Foxtail tends to irritate the cows mouth - and that is a real problem for folks in the north as that can put them off hay.

Cheers

Bez+

There must be a dozen varieties of wild foxtail and I think I have them all. Yup, yours is a common foxtail and you must have had it all along. Everybody else has.

I guess there are a lot of grasses called foxtails. We have them like mad here, the more dangerous kind with tiny one way barbs that work their way deep into the tissue if they get in an eye, ear, between the toes, or in the mouth. These are the ones:

1181999750435.jpg

foxtail42.jpg

We call HD's foxtail rabbits foot grass. The seed head is soft and fluffy and breaks into pretty small particles when it's dry. They can still get in an eye and be irritating, but definitely not as bad.

images

images

2/B or not 2/B":w3gjz8eo said:
I guess there are a lot of grasses called foxtails. We have them like mad here, the more dangerous kind with tiny one way barbs that work their way deep into the tissue if they get in an eye, ear, between the toes, or in the mouth. These are the ones:

1181999750435.jpg

foxtail42.jpg

We call HD's foxtail rabbits foot grass. The seed head is soft and fluffy and breaks into pretty small particles when it's dry. They can still get in an eye and be irritating, but definitely not as bad.

images

images

On the west coast the first thing you posted is what we always called foxtail. Very hard on dogs that sniff a lot. They snort them up inside their nose and it's a mess to get them out. I was confused when I moved here and they started calling all of these various millet looking things foxtails.

mnmtranching":34b99cca said:
There must be a dozen varieties of wild foxtail and I think I have them all. Yup, yours is a common foxtail and you must have had it all along. Everybody else has.

Yep. I would call that "green foxtail" in these parts. Short growing and the seedhead comes up a little later than some of the other foxtails.

hillsdown: It is green foxtail, also known as wild millet. Pretty common in cereal crops in central Alberta. I wouldn't worry too much about it in a hay crop as it is an annual. It can be a real problem in a grain crop.

Anybody have foxtail barley. Now that's is something you don't want in your hay.

hillsdown":z2jr23lg said:

IMG_1769.jpg

Seems to me everyone got it wrong.

This is Meadow Foxtail. It grows here too, but it's the stuff that the cattle won't eat because of the nasty bitter taste, and I find clumps of it in perfect, non-bitten-off condition around the pasture.

IluvABbeef":2rkvgey7 said:
Seems to me everyone got it wrong.

This is Meadow Foxtail. It grows here too, but it's the stuff that the cattle won't eat because of the nasty bitter taste, and I find clumps of it in perfect, non-bitten-off condition around the pasture.
I would like to here your explanation as to how you arrived at meadow.

Latest posts