What about Brangus?

Help Support CattleToday:

Not saying anything pro or con about Brangus, cuz I don't know a thing about them, EXCEPT that we don't see them up here in the Pac NW. It would pretty much be a "science project."

BestOutWest -- Arthur, you previously asked me for some info on British Whites, which I sent to you. They do very well in this climate. In a normal year, I think we get more snow than you, but temps are probably about the same as are summer temps. They are good, grass efficient cattle; weather resistant; good mamas, super milk producers and mostly easy to get along with. As I also mentioned, at auction in the west, you will not get the $$ you do for black cattle, and there aren't enough of them around to start showing them in a breed class and promote them that way. We sell a few breeding animals here and there, but are still in the seed stock stage, so most of our dollars are made on private butcher beef buyers. It works for us, and we get real nice carcasses out of them with slaughter at 16 -18 mos. and nice lean carcasses on 60 days finish that usually hang at 700+ - 800 lbs.

No matter what you decide to x-breed your LH's with, if you keep the offspring and are doing a "breed up," it's going to take awhile to get away from the lankiness of the LH. Also, horned cattle are an issue out here. Most everything is polled. But, we all have our "science projects." Really -- keep the type you're comfortable with and that appeal to your eye, cuz you're the guy that has to feed them every day!

Muddy":2p6zmstf said:
branguscowgirl":2p6zmstf said:
Muddy, have you owned many good Brangus yourself? And I don't mean these 50/50 sale barn type. I mean 5/8ths 3/8ths bred?
Seen Gerts and Beefmasters around here, they don't work very well because of our climate. Have you ever visit northern states during winters?
As a matter of fact I have!
The Brangus cows that I sent to Klamath Falls Oregon lived through about the same type of winters.
I don't think that people that have not owned 5/8ths 3/8ths Brangus really know how adaptable and hardy they really are. :)
You are underestimating them Muddy. I do agree that "going with the local market" is always a good idea to get your business off the ground. But certainly not because "Brangus won't do well in Idaho"!

Muddy you remind me more of Taurus everyday. I wonder why........ ;-)

As a guy that has Brangus and Braford cattle, why would you if not for the need. I live in central East Texas and a Brahman cross steer will get docked compared to a straight Angus here although the Brangus or Braford mama will add pounds and do it with less inputs. I'm not sure you need the Brahman even in north Texas much less Idaho though. I would think there are better crosses you could use. JMO

Muddy":20qm5u7t said:
TexasBred":20qm5u7t said:
Muddy":20qm5u7t said:
Suddenly you're an expert on northern region climates, yet you never lived up north....makes a lot of senses.

No sir not an expert at anything but I did do some checking. The average winter temperature in Amarillo is 10 degrees colder than the average winter temperature in Boise and extreme lows are very close as well. Check out Cattle Range. There are brangus cattle in Idaho for sale on there as well.
So therefore brangus can handle -20 F degrees and -50 F degrees with wind chills regularly for over 3 months?
Muddy where do you live?? You afraid to list it? BTW since you appparently have some problem with reading comprehension here's a picture or graph for you.

https://weatherspark.com/history/29792/ ... ted-States

branguscowgirl":3pz66yh9 said:
Muddy":3pz66yh9 said:
branguscowgirl":3pz66yh9 said:
Muddy, have you owned many good Brangus yourself? And I don't mean these 50/50 sale barn type. I mean 5/8ths 3/8ths bred?
Seen Gerts and Beefmasters around here, they don't work very well because of our climate. Have you ever visit northern states during winters?
As a matter of fact I have!
The Brangus cows that I sent to Klamath Falls Oregon lived through about the same type of winters.
I don't think that people that have not owned 5/8ths 3/8ths Brangus really know how adaptable and hardy they really are. :)
You are underestimating them Muddy. I do agree that "going with the local market" is always a good idea to get your business off the ground. But certainly not because "Brangus won't do well in Idaho"!

Muddy you remind me more of Taurus everyday. I wonder why........ ;-)
Oregon is mild when its compared to ND, SD, MN and Wisconsin winters...

TexasBred":90mzudy3 said:
Muddy":90mzudy3 said:
TexasBred":90mzudy3 said:
No sir not an expert at anything but I did do some checking. The average winter temperature in Amarillo is 10 degrees colder than the average winter temperature in Boise and extreme lows are very close as well. Check out Cattle Range. There are brangus cattle in Idaho for sale on there as well.
So therefore brangus can handle -20 F degrees and -50 F degrees with wind chills regularly for over 3 months?
Muddy where do you live?? You afraid to list it? BTW since you appparently have some problem with reading comprehension here's a picture or graph for you.

https://weatherspark.com/history/29792/ ... ted-States
Northern Minnesota.

TexasBred":3f8nm9mj said:
Muddy":3f8nm9mj said:
TexasBred":3f8nm9mj said:
Apparently...there are brangus in Idaho and they're alive and they're multiplying!!!!!
Then why didn't they multiplying in ND, SD, MN and Wisconsin?

You all arguing over this is like an barner trying to determine which football player is the gayest.

Roll Tide

Kathie in Thorp":33g7rxtd said:
BestOutWest -- Arthur, you previously asked me for some info on British Whites, which I sent to you. They do very well in this climate. In a normal year, I think we get more snow than you, but temps are probably about the same as are summer temps. They are good, grass efficient cattle; weather resistant; good mamas, super milk producers and mostly easy to get along with. As I also mentioned, at auction in the west, you will not get the $$ you do for black cattle, and there aren't enough of them around to start showing them in a breed class and promote them that way. We sell a few breeding animals here and there, but are still in the seed stock stage, so most of our dollars are made on private butcher beef buyers. It works for us, and we get real nice carcasses out of them with slaughter at 16 -18 mos. and nice lean carcasses on 60 days finish that usually hang at 700+ - 800 lbs.

No matter what you decide to x-breed your LH's with, if you keep the offspring and are doing a "breed up," it's going to take awhile to get away from the lankiness of the LH. Also, horned cattle are an issue out here. Most everything is polled. But, we all have our "science projects." Really -- keep the type you're comfortable with and that appeal to your eye, cuz you're the guy that has to feed them every day!

I saw your message. Thank you for taking the time to give me all the info. I talked with my wife and we decided that we would go for easy to attain genetics (ie cows) that we know sell well in this area. As for the LHxAngus cross, it's a means to an end. We've had some bad luck with our little bull this year and need to get this cow bred. We will cross breed everything next year to Angus and then we'll replace out females with purebreds when the $$ is available.

Muddy":4f5si1oi said:
Apparently...there are brangus in Idaho and they're alive and they're multiplying!!!!!
Then why didn't they multiplying in ND, SD, MN and Wisconsin?[/quote]
Maybe they preferred Holsteins.....how do they handle cold??

BTW did you look at the graph of the Idaho weather??

plowboy5":39ig9r5l said:
You all arguing over this is like an barner trying to determine which football player is the gayest.

Roll Tide
Arguing?? Just trying to educate an idiot. Now I know how Lou Saban feels. :mrgreen: :hide:

TexasBred":1e1fu5lb said:
plowboy5":1e1fu5lb said:

Roll Tide
Arguing?? Just trying to educate an idiot. Now I know how Lou Saban feels. :mrgreen: :hide:
more like an idiot trying to educate a realist.

TexasBred":2baa9e11 said:
Muddy":2baa9e11 said:
Then why didn't they multiplying in ND, SD, MN and Wisconsin?
Maybe they preferred Holsteins.....how do they handle cold??

BTW did you look at the graph of the Idaho weather??[/quote] So no legit answers for my question? And yes I looked at Idaho, it appeared to be more mild winter, so that's why these brangus will do fine in mild winters.

Muddy: Oregon is mild when its compared to ND, SD, MN and Wisconsin winters...
Where in the heck was I even talking about "ND, SD, MN or Wisconsin"!?
We were talking about Brangus in Idaho. :roll:

Muddy, I hate to bring it up in this thread, but I sure don't appreciate you sending me a PM and playing games about who you are. I don't care for dishonest people OR games. You can go ahead and Foe me now, so you don't even need to see and respond to my postings with your BS.

branguscowgirl":13pqejdt said:

Muddy, I hate to bring it up in this thread, but I sure don't appreciate you sending me a PM and playing games about who you are. I don't care for dishonest people OR games. You can go ahead and Foe me now, so you don't even need to see and respond to my postings with your BS.
What? What are you talking about sending you PM and playing games with you? I hasn't send you a PM for over 7 months...and I don't think I ever send you a PM as Muddy so I don't know what are you smoking on.

I'm pretty sure 99% folks on here know who I am a long time ago already.

Muddy":1llo1so2 said:
branguscowgirl":1llo1so2 said:

What? What are you talking about sending you PM and playing games with you? I hasn't send you a PM for over 7 months...and I don't think I ever send you a PM as Muddy so I don't know what are you smoking on.

I'm pretty sure 99% folks on here know who I am a long time ago already.
Yes, it has probably been that long. And yes, you sent me a PM as "Muddy". And, I point blank asked you if you were "Taurus". You played a little game with it, and denied it.
I knew who you were, but was trying not to call you a liar. And I guess that your arrogance on this thread just made me forget about not being rude anymore. :D Why did you change your name, when you weren't going to change your tune?
Wait, don't answer. I am done. :tiphat:

Latest posts