What about Brangus?

Help Support CattleToday:

I agree TB.
I believe that Brangus will work pretty much anywhere if they are adapted to the climate properly. They have a bit of an advantage in the maternal "smarts" to keep their calves safe also.
Some of Idaho has very fine weather with little snow.

Dave, I have seen more aggressive Angus bulls than Brangus. :lol:
Again, properly bred Brangus have some smarts. You can gentle them down pretty easy if you try. No one just starting out should be buying some crazy azz cattle of any breed.

Muddy, have you owned many good Brangus yourself? And I don't mean these 50/50 sale barn type. I mean 5/8ths 3/8ths bred?

branguscowgirl":jmem8lku said:
I agree TB.
I believe that Brangus will work pretty much anywhere if they are adapted to the climate properly. They have a bit of an advantage in the maternal "smarts" to keep their calves safe also.
Some of Idaho has very fine weather with little snow.

Dave, I have seen more aggressive Angus bulls than Brangus. :lol:
Again, properly bred Brangus have some smarts. You can gentle them down pretty easy if you try. No one just starting out should be buying some crazy azz cattle of any breed.

Muddy, have you owned many good Brangus yourself? And I don't mean these 50/50 sale barn type. I mean 5/8ths 3/8ths bred?
No idea why some think brangus cattle are wild, mean and had to deal with. Never had any of those. They will get you a$$ the minute the spit out a calf but give them a week and they're just good mothers. And as Cowgirl said an Angus bull is much more to worry about than a brangus bull.

I don't think the 3/8 brahman would hurt them one bit. The 5/8 angus should take care of that in the cooler climate just as the 3/8 brahman takes care of the heat in the hotter climates. They are hustlers too so won't be standing there looking for a feed bag all the time.

Had an Angus bull put me on the fence last week. 5 min earlier he followed me through a 4' gate like a puppy dog.

I would not be shy of Brangus cattle as a beginner. In fact I would lean that way because of how hardy they are and how little they need from you. With that said, I would buy them young so you can raise them and acclimate yourselves to each other. That's just a preference I have with most animals.

branguscowgirl":149g1tsk said:
Seen Gerts and Beefmasters around here, they don't work very well because of our climate. Have you ever visit northern states during winters?

Brute 23":22pfd2qa said:
Had an Angus bull put me on the fence last week. 5 min earlier he followed me through a 4' gate like a puppy dog.
Following............ or stalking?
Any of them no matter what the breed will do it if they get that wild hair up their rear ends...

TexasBred":16pvts7i said:
Muddy said:
Yes and there are Brahmans in Canada as well, but I seriously doubt both brangus and Brahman are in great numbers in that region.
No, no more than british whites belted cattle and some of the others raised up north are in great abundance down here but you do see some. Just saying it's not an impossibility. Folks may be overlooking a gold mine just because someone like you says it won't work.
[/quote] Said by someone in Texas. Come on, TB have some common senses. You guys keep spourting off, acts like you guys have been to the northern regions and believed their cattle will do fine in the harsh winters based on their winters in southern & middle regions.

greybeard":272k9hd0 said:
Brute 23":272k9hd0 said:
Following............ or stalking?
Any of them no matter what the breed will do it if they get that wild hair up their rear ends...

:) Yup. Just a reminder to treat them all like a loaded gun. ;-)

Muddy":2us8mpo8 said:
Come on, brangus in Idaho?
I worked for an outfit that took in steers from agribeef out of Idaho. Most of them were tigers but there were a few brangus in the bunch. About ten percent were 3/4 ears.

cow pollinater":pmb7pxgr said:
Muddy":pmb7pxgr said:
Come on, brangus in Idaho?
I worked for an outfit that took in steers from agribeef out of Idaho. Most of them were tigers but there were a few brangus in the bunch. About ten percent were 3/4 ears.

In Idaho?-----Just kidding.

Muddy":bfwy33je said:
TexasBred":bfwy33je said:
Muddy said:
Yes and there are Brahmans in Canada as well, but I seriously doubt both brangus and Brahman are in great numbers in that region.
No, no more than british whites belted cattle and some of the others raised up north are in great abundance down here but you do see some. Just saying it's not an impossibility. Folks may be overlooking a gold mine just because someone like you says it won't work.
Said by someone in Texas. Come on, TB have some common senses. You guys keep spourting off, acts like you guys have been to the northern regions and believed their cattle will do fine in the harsh winters based on their winters in southern & middle regions.[/quote][/quote][/quote]
Muddy until you've tried it you don't ahve any idea what you're talking about. Just repeating what others have said. Everyday good ideas are never tried just because someone tells a man "it won't work" even though he himself has never tried it. If a full blood angus can handle it odds are a 5/8 angus can as well.

TexasBred":2ixcx135 said:
Muddy":2ixcx135 said:
TexasBred":2ixcx135 said:
Muddy said:
Said by someone in Texas. Come on, TB have some common senses. You guys keep spourting off, acts like you guys have been to the northern regions and believed their cattle will do fine in the harsh winters based on their winters in southern & middle regions.
[/quote][/quote]
Muddy until you've tried it you don't ahve any idea what you're talking about. Just repeating what others have said. Everyday good ideas are never tried just because someone tells a man "it won't work" even though he himself has never tried it. If a full blood angus can handle it odds are a 5/8 angus can as well.[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]
Suddenly you're an expert on northern region climates, yet you never lived up north....makes a lot of senses.

Brute 23":e0hu7jul said:
Let me understand this right... Longhorns are Ok there but 3/8 Brahman cattle are not? :???:

If you're going to the salebarn it's only OK around here if it's black or whitefaced. I've even seen straight herfs and red angus go for less.

After reading this thread, and talking with my wife, we've decided we're going to take the easy route and go for what's local, works with the weather we have here, and sells well here. Also, since we're doing the freezer beef thing we're going try and capitalize on all the branding that the Angus folks have done. We're about 30 miles from Boise, which is turning into a big hipster city, so I'm banking on Angus working well b/c they'll all be able to tell each other how wonderful their Angus beef is while extolling the virtues of how it was locoally raised on locally grown grass hay, blah, blah, blah. So, we're going to start everything off by AI'ing our longhorn cow to this guy:
http://www.quakerhillfarm.com/herdsires ... e0A36.html

Here's hoping that it takes.

Muddy":2rsb00aj said:
Suddenly you're an expert on northern region climates, yet you never lived up north....makes a lot of senses.

No sir not an expert at anything but I did do some checking. The average winter temperature in Amarillo is 10 degrees colder than the average winter temperature in Boise and extreme lows are very close as well. Check out Cattle Range. There are brangus cattle in Idaho for sale on there as well.

TexasBred":3idbf9w5 said:
Muddy":3idbf9w5 said:

No sir not an expert at anything but I did do some checking. The average winter temperature in Amarillo is 10 degrees colder than the average winter temperature in Boise and extreme lows are very close as well. Check out Cattle Range. There are brangus cattle in Idaho for sale on there as well.
So therefore brangus can handle -20 F degrees and -50 F degrees with wind chills regularly for over 3 months?

Muddy":msexmnpj said:
TexasBred":msexmnpj said:
Muddy":msexmnpj said:

So therefore brangus can handle -20 F degrees and -50 F degrees with wind chills regularly for over 3 months?
Apparently...there are brangus in Idaho and they're alive and they're multiplying!!!!!

TexasBred":rl0eiapg said:
Bigfoot":rl0eiapg said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fdcIwHKd_s

Your point??

I didn't think anyone would get it. It's a very obscure movie quote "never give up, never surrender". Muddy was having trouble conceding defeat. Kinda out of character for me, but I've been snickering at it all afternoon.

Latest posts