Westminster Dog Show 2010

Help Support CattleToday:

Alice

Reaction score
I'm a dog lover...I love them all...every one of them.

That said...please folks, get shelter dogs...and have them spayed and/or neutered.

Alice

I can't say I love them all, but most. Some of those breeds are just so weird, ugly, useless. But there are some beautiful specimens of great breeds, too. I have a soft spot for Great Danes but they never, ever get placed in the working group. grrrrr!

I watched it, and usually ended up saying to hubby wtf ??????????? One of the judges running around the ring I had to ask what breed of dog was she.. :lol: :p

Some really nice looking dogs and some real "dogs"..

Where were the collies or did I miss them ? :?

I agree Alice, spay and neuter and adopt/rescue if at all possible, we still have 2 rescues here. A scotch collie who will be 14 yrs old this year and pretty much saved my life back in '98 and a blk lab that was dumped here as a pup in '06 with a umbilical hernia that we had fixed up and have taken her in and loved her ever since.

There is a place however for breeding and without that we would not have had our beloved Steffie or our little Nikki.

I didn't see any collies either...or shepherds...and that was kind of disappointing. I do love those scotties, so I was glad to see Sadie win.

About spaying and neutering: A family that lived down the road had a mother dog that had puppies constantly...cute little things in the beginning, but as time went on it was obvious that the dogs were inbreeding. When the family moved off they of course left left the dogs. Those were the meanest, move vicious dogs I've ever seen. They were small dogs, but GAWD, were they dangerous. They began to disappear, I guess thru getting hit by cars, shot by neighboring farmers, I dunno. My neighbor tried to trap the last two to take to the shelter but only caught one. She said it was so vicious, she just shot it in the cage. The other would appear now and again for about 6 months after that and nobody could get a clean shot at it. I guess it finally met it's maker in some fashion.

It's so important for people to get their dogs spayed and/or neutered...even if they live on a farm. I've never understood why people are so resistant to it.

hillsdown":3k3ewgb2 said:
I One of the judges running around the ring I had to ask what breed of dog was she.. :lol: :p

Was that the woman judge whose hair was in sausage curls and was wearing a dress that looked like it had been made from drapes that came from a bordello?

Alice

Alice":2y5abqzu said:
hillsdown":2y5abqzu said:
I One of the judges running around the ring I had to ask what breed of dog was she.. :lol: :p

Was that the woman judge whose hair was in sausage curls and was wearing a dress that looked like it had been made from drapes that came from a bordello?

Alice

That was her, and my husband had to ask why all the women handling the dogs had cankles.. :lol2: That Scottie was really nice, but it looked like she was cut off at the knees. I really liked that German Pincher, what a beauty.

Thanks Dun, I wish I would have known and got to watch it.

It was also nice to get a break from the Olympics ... :D

hillsdown":f2bphnsx said:
Alice":f2bphnsx said:
hillsdown":f2bphnsx said:

Alice

That was her, and my husband had to ask why all the women handling the dogs had cankles.. :lol2: That Scottie was really nice, but it looked like she was cut off at the knees. I really liked that German Pincher, what a beauty.

Thanks Dun, I wish I would have known and got to watch it.

It was also nice to get a break from the Olympics ... :D
I'm sure it will be on again. Seems like they usually show it a couple of times

It was kind of frustrating to watch the herding group actually. There were a couple of nice dogs, but a lot that wouldn't know what a sheep or cow was if it kicked them. I spent a lot of time laughing at the commentators. "You can see that dog's obvious athleticism!" I'm thinking: "WTH?? It's half-way crippled.... that dog wouldn't last until lunch doing the job it's supposedly bred for!"

Always fun to see what the show jockeys think is an "excellent" specimen. I also agree that it was a nice break from the Olympics.

NY2010248.jpg

Here's a shot of from the show of one of my favorite breeds.....

Gotta love those gentle giant guardians....

fargus":23sdfljn said:
It was kind of frustrating to watch the herding group actually. There were a couple of nice dogs, but a lot that wouldn't know what a sheep or cow was if it kicked them. I spent a lot of time laughing at the commentators. "You can see that dog's obvious athleticism!" I'm thinking: "WTH?? It's half-way crippled.... that dog wouldn't last until lunch doing the job it's supposedly bred for!"

Always fun to see what the show jockeys think is an "excellent" specimen. I also agree that it was a nice break from the Olympics.

Exactly. I'd say the vast majority of them wouldn't. Now, if you'll indulge me, I'll tell a little story.

My wife shows Alaskan Malamutes. Sled dogs. She used to run them a lot, but not so much anymore. The first National Specialty I went to was in '94. I'll never forget the old boy who was the breed judge. Very non-political, which is rare in show circles. The dog that took BOB was an eight year old that came out of the veterans class. Big upset. The owners were big into sledding and that dog had logged hundreds of miles as a wheel dog and a lead dog.

Anyway, the last night of the show there's a banquet. After everbody pigs out the breed judge gives a little speech about the breed and why he/she made the choices they did. It's usually very politically correct with the judge trying not to offend anyone. This old boy gets up there and says the reason he made the choice he did was because "if you hooked that dog up to a sled tonight, he'd still be running tomorrow morning." Went on to say that he saw very few dogs at that show that he could say the same thing about, and proceeded to scold everyone over the direction the breed was going. Caused quite a stir. I loved it.

fargus":1zfq1aw1 said:

this is why I love a saying working bred Border Collie people have "Let the hills prove the dog"

When I look at a dog, I want to see its parents working..I dont want "from working lines"..I want "work for their dinner"..LOL..

spinandslide":ab1wy1pk said:
fargus":ab1wy1pk said:

this is why I love a saying working bred Border Collie people have "Let the hills prove the dog"

When I look at a dog, I want to see its parents working..I dont want "from working lines"..I want "work for their dinner"..LOL..

Amen. I will hardly take a second look at a dog who's parents don't work. That dog better show me something pretty special to even get a look up here.

VanC":tc3f5a8x said:
fargus":tc3f5a8x said:

Exactly. I'd say the vast majority of them wouldn't. Now, if you'll indulge me, I'll tell a little story.

My wife shows Alaskan Malamutes. Sled dogs. She used to run them a lot, but not so much anymore. The first National Specialty I went to was in '94. I'll never forget the old boy who was the breed judge. Very non-political, which is rare in show circles. The dog that took BOB was an eight year old that came out of the veterans class. Big upset. The owners were big into sledding and that dog had logged hundreds of miles as a wheel dog and a lead dog.

Anyway, the last night of the show there's a banquet. After everbody pigs out the breed judge gives a little speech about the breed and why he/she made the choices they did. It's usually very politically correct with the judge trying not to offend anyone. This old boy gets up there and says the reason he made the choice he did was because "if you hooked that dog up to a sled tonight, he'd still be running tomorrow morning." Went on to say that he saw very few dogs at that show that he could say the same thing about, and proceeded to scold everyone over the direction the breed was going. Caused quite a stir. I loved it.

That is awesome! In order for the show ring to mean anything there needs to be a lot more judges like that!

VanC":3ctbntnc said:
fargus":3ctbntnc said:

I knew your wife showed dogs, but I didn't know they were working Malamutes Van. You will have to post some pics. I love Malamutes they are beautiful dogs ,especially when they are working.

Latest posts