Went to first breeders sale PA

Help Support CattleToday:

BILL CLAYLAND

Reaction score
Some of you know that i'm trying to get some good girls together and Ive been to the local livestock auction in Maryland.
Grass has been good this year!!

I currently have 1 Reg Hereford cow and 1 Comm Hereford cow, they both calved bulls , one lat Jan and the other first of march.
I have a Hereford Bull over them for 30 days so far.

I'm also feeding a 1100lb Herf steer.

So I guess i'm comfortable with the red ones right know, lord knows they are beautiful.

I bought both of my cows from the same fellow private treaty, and his bull is making a stop here as well.

Saturday I had a chance to go to the 2011 PHA SALE at Hausner Cattle Company.
they had some great looking cattle, I bid on a heifer but stopped at 850$, being new at this and with a limited budget. I think the highest was 3250$

To tell you the truth its hard for me to know what is good or mediocre, I still am having trouble reading an EPD or to even know what i need to make a Good cow that will make a replacement and for beef.

My operation is freezer beef.

How do you read the epds?

The Hausner's are GREAT people.
EPD's - go to the Hereford Assn site & look up the AVERAGE EPD's for your breed. Then you can compare an individual's EPD's against the average. Most stud books have each breed average listed.

Hey Bill I was at hausners sale and purchased two heifers I hope they werent the ones you were bidding on. I thought prices were fairly cheap this year with good pairs anywhere from 1200 to 1500. I also go to the maryland sale also so if you got a question pm me. I am in new jersey about ten minutes from delaware. I got about 20 mommas and AI all our cattle starting this year. Let me know If I can help. Thanks Mike.

What did you think of the first open pair of Heifers that sold I was bidding on the lot 11 one but did not get it, it is going to Virginia I think.

" I bought both of my cows from the same fellow private treaty, and his bull is making a stop here as well."
Hello. Thanks for your post. What does that sentence mean?

Kingfisher":glpgoxry said:
" I bought both of my cows from the same fellow private treaty, and his bull is making a stop here as well."

Well....in my best deciphering tone: He bought his two cows from the same person or farm...but not at auction. Essentially, he negotiated the sale of the two cows privately.....man to man, or el mano to el mano (if you're from Mexico). The same rancher whom sold him his two cow is going to lend him a bull. Either that, or the bull and his two cows are very close friends, and the bull has a arranged a visit to talk about old times.

Sorry for my attempt at humor, but I thought the original statement was fairly easy to read. :cboy:

Kingfisher, what Gator said.
I bought some cows from a friend. He has brought his bull over for a period of 60 days for the last 2 years.

Mike,
I was the only guy there with shorts on and a Pirate T-shirt! I live 25 miles south of Hausners.
I thought the prices were good as well. I would have liked anyone of them.
I haven't seen any good prospects at the local sale barn, and the prices are high there!

They're were 2 yearling heifers at Hausners that were in my budget but didn't pull the trigger.
about made me sick...

SS Farms,
I don't remember what 11 looked like, i have the catalog at home but there was some fine girls there. I think the first heifer pairs went pretty high.

Ok so I wrote down all the prices. Lot 11 went for 2500 and Lot 12 for 1450. Lot 11 looked good but I didnt see 2500 coming for that heifer. I guess they liked that ulysses bull used by kevin as her daddy. S and S what did you like about her. I purchased lot 26 and 29 both yearling heifers. I also liked lot 22 heifer but the fall calver had me gunshy. I regret not buying her still. I thought lot 33 from slayton was a great buy for 2100. I really liked the look of the revolution heifer at her side. I would stay away from the salebarn especially for breeding stock Bill. I know some guys get good buys in beef country but around us I dont know how possible that is.

Gators Rule":3tcvete8 said:
Kingfisher":3tcvete8 said:

Well....in my best deciphering tone: He bought his two cows from the same person or farm...but not at auction. Essentially, he negotiated the sale of the two cows privately.....man to man, or el mano to el mano (if you're from Mexico). The same rancher whom sold him his two cow is going to lend him a bull. Either that, or the bull and his two cows are very close friends, and the bull has a arranged a visit to talk about old times.

Sorry for my attempt at humor, but I thought the original statement was fairly easy to read. :cboy:

el mano el mano.........that is kind of what I thought............I just needed a lil clarification.....:)

shadyhollownj":2me440lo said:
Ok so I wrote down all the prices. Lot 11 went for 2500 and Lot 12 for 1450. Lot 11 looked good but I didnt see 2500 coming for that heifer. I guess they liked that ulysses bull used by kevin as her daddy. S and S what did you like about her. I purchased lot 26 and 29 both yearling heifers. I also liked lot 22 heifer but the fall calver had me gunshy. I regret not buying her still. I thought lot 33 from slayton was a great buy for 2100. I really liked the look of the revolution heifer at her side. I would stay away from the salebarn especially for breeding stock Bill. I know some guys get good buys in beef country but around us I dont know how possible that is.

I am friends with the breeder of lot 11 and 12. I have seen these heifers as calves and I like them. I was hoping she would go cheaper for me but I am glad she brought what she did for him. I like the the Ulysses bull too. I would agree that lot 33 would have been a good buy for 2100.

Which of the heifers that you bought do you like the best just curious. One of them I would not be interested in I dont care for the breeding.

I like the look of lot 29 better thats why I wanted her. I'm not to familiar with the breeding but I juts like the look. I like em dark. Lot 26 was sired by schular 5n and I wanted to get some semen to try him so I figured why not get a heifer to see his genetics first hand. I dont like the fact she was horned but I wanted to bring home 2 heifers.

Shady good luck with the 5N bull I never had anything to keep out of him when I sampled him a few years ago. I never even had a heifer that I kept to see if she could milk.

Latest posts