Weeds cows eat

Help Support CattleToday:

certherfbeef":32h5h3yq said:
SF":32h5h3yq said:
. Try and identify them all, determine if any are poisonous.

Maybe you can send a digital photo to caustic. Bet he could ID them for you and tell you the toxicity level. Less worries that way for you. He donated his time to Texan. I bet if you offered just a few greenbacks he would be more than willing to help you out.
What do you think caustic, need a side job? It will help pay for the fuel and the chemical you need. :lol:
Help pay for ALL that haying equipment he can't use too. :shock:

ga. prime":16ytgbg6 said:
A weed is a plant that grows where you don't want it growing . That's what a weed is.

I tried to explain that to the grandkids. They wanted me to start a "flower' bed up by the house so we could plant the pretty flowers, i.e. multiflora rose, thistle, bull nettle, queen anns lace, etc.
I won;t ever try that flower out of place line on them again, that's for sure!

dun

is queen anns lace a bad weed up there? i see it growing along the road but never see it in the pasture.

Beefy":38xi5f5h said:
is queen anns lace a bad weed up there? i see it growing along the road but never see it in the pasture.

Yup. Besides being invasive, it's toxic but after it's more then a coupele of inches tall the cows won;t touch it unless they're starving. The seeds are like little vlecro balls that stick to everything, including plastic. Well maybe not plastic, bit it sures seems like they stick to everything else. They're in the wild carrot family (sorry I don;t know the phylum).

dun

dun":2io29vj5 said:
A possibly interesting side note: Our cows eat cocklebur and pigweed after it's been sprayed and is seriously wilted, they won;t touch it while it's healthy. They seem to eat it about like some folks eat salad. As a side dish to the real meal.

dun
If you spray it to wilt it with Hot Bacon Dressing, I might eat it. :)
Bret

Bret":2fdiiw34 said:
dun":2fdiiw34 said:
A possibly interesting side note: Our cows eat cocklebur and pigweed after it's been sprayed and is seriously wilted, they won;t touch it while it's healthy. They seem to eat it about like some folks eat salad. As a side dish to the real meal.

dun
If you spray it to wilt it with Hot Bacon Dressing, I might eat it. :)
Bret

I'll fix the dressing, but you better be hungry. I have one field that we just put in WSG that is knee high and taller with spiny pigweed. 27 acres of it!

dun

dun":363oxzt0 said:
Beefy":363oxzt0 said:

Yup. Besides being invasive, it's toxic but after it's more then a coupele of inches tall the cows won;t touch it unless they're starving. The seeds are like little vlecro balls that stick to everything, including plastic. Well maybe not plastic, bit it sures seems like they stick to everything else. They're in the wild carrot family (sorry I don;t know the phylum).

dun

That sounds like what we call preacher's burrs but I think it's a different plant. When you try to brush them off your clothing they just roll to a new spot instead.

Dun,

I think what you are talking about (if it is the little velcro balls) is what I call Beggars lice.

cows do it weeds. lol we rotational graze on 1780 acres and they do a good job eating them. I just don't have enough cattle for the place. It would be good if I could findsomeone with 300 to 400 head to really prove that they will manage your weeds for you and no more mowint or pasture spraying.

1848":7s3toy02 said:
Dun,

I think what you are talking about (if it is the little velcro balls) is what I call Beggars lice.

Beggers lice, stick tights, the d--m things that stick to everything, they're all the same. There are, around here anyway, a dozen different seeds that have the same propertys. One of the worst to get off is shepards purse, but the velcro ball kind will come off the back of your legs and stick to furniture, truck seats, blocks of wood, anything you might sit on.
I realize they're an adaptation of Ma Nature to insure that the seeds get spread far and wide, I just wish they weren;t so succesfull.
The part I hate the most is when they stick to your arm hairs, when you try to get them off you either pull a handful of hair or use a knife and just cut off a hank of hair.

dun

This has been a very interesting thread to follow Mr. Lancemart.You have gotten the Caustic view from Mr. Burno, the know everything view from Mr.Texan, the know nothing view from Mr. Preston, the I'm lost view from Mr. 1848, and my view.
One thing about this board it has amusement value. Mr. Lancemart you need to remember this is a Internet chat board and you have no idea where posters are from. Mr. Burno might be in a high rise in New York, Mr. Preston in the St. Louis projects, Mr. Texan in a gay Internet bar in L.A., Mr 1848 just lost in the woods and no telling where I am at. The best advice I can give you is to get with local Ag extension agent.

Now its time to go back to lurking.

As Paul Harvey would say
Good Day

Capt Call":3qzuvsrx said:
This has been a very interesting thread to follow Mr. Lancemart.You have gotten the Caustic view from Mr. Burno, the know everything view from Mr.Texan, the know nothing view from Mr. Preston, the I'm lost view from Mr. 1848, and my view.
One thing about this board it has amusement value. Mr. Lancemart you need to remember this is a Internet chat board and you have no idea where posters are from. Mr. Burno might be in a high rise in New York, Mr. Preston in the St. Louis projects, Mr. Texan in a gay Internet bar in L.A., Mr 1848 just lost in the woods and no telling where I am at. The best advice I can give you is to get with local Ag extension agent.

Now its time to go back to lurking.

As Paul Harvey would say
Good Day

:lol:

Capt Call":qvk3x1wv said:
....the I'm lost view from Mr. 1848, and my view.

...so where did I even post a view in this thread? I believe mine were sarcastic comments... :D

Capt Call":qvk3x1wv said:
The best advice I can give you is to get with local Ag extension agent.

Good advice

...opinions are like weeds, every body has some!

1848":1sfkqrpq said:
Capt Call":1sfkqrpq said:
....the I'm lost view from Mr. 1848, and my view.

...so where did I even post a view in this thread? I believe mine were sarcastic comments... :D

Capt Call":1sfkqrpq said:
The best advice I can give you is to get with local Ag extension agent.

Good advice

...opinions are like weeds, every body has some!
Great advice from everyone. I thought I would keep it going by writing some irrating comment. Just kidding. I am not uptight, I am happy to be here and talking to everyone.
Good Day.

Capt Call":10wchlsz said:
Mr. Burno might be in a high rise in New York.......Mr. Texan in a gay Internet bar in L.A.
:shock: You must have seen an imposter when you was in New York, Capn. Caustic's out here in California with me at the Deciduous and Coniferous Phylum Club. In fact, I just saw him dancing with a guy over in the Softwood Ballroom where the older gentlemen gather. I usually 'hang out' here in the Hardwood Room, but I just know it was him. Nobody holds a guy on the dance floor like old Caustic! I'll tell him later you was asking about him, but right now I'm in the hottub on a......well....I'm actually on a laptop. ;-) ;-) ;-) :lol: :lol:

Ooopsy. I made a big mistake, Capn. I used the wrong smilie before. I think this one is a lot more appropriate for me. :eek: Whatcha think, Capn? ;-)

Ooooooooh! I just had the neatest idea, Capn. What if I had that :eek: smilie made up on a tight pink t-shirt for myself? You think the guys out here might buy me drinks all night?

Texan":383bg594 said:
Ooooooooh! I just had the neatest idea, Capn. What if I had that :eek: smilie made up on a tight pink t-shirt for myself? You think the guys out here might buy me drinks all night?
Don't forget them pink chinks you were sewing a while back!!!

Latest posts