Weeds cows eat

Help Support CattleToday:

preston39":8v4ymm19 said:
Texan":8v4ymm19 said:
Caustic Burno":8v4ymm19 said:
Texan":8v4ymm19 said:
Maybe Caustic will apologize to you.

I doubt that will happen I hate to bust your bubble but an acre is not a pasture lawn maybe ,small lot at best. Cattle eat grass will browse once in a while on leaves, love collar greens turnips and vegatables. So if your cows are eatin weeds there are dang hungry you better break out that cub cadet and pump garden sprayer and get after them pastures ROTFLMAO.
Maybe old peanut the bull is so bored he is eating weeds , nothing else to do.
Yeah, Caustic. I kinda doubt that apology will ever happen, too. But I thought you deserved a chance at it for calling him names and making fun of him instead of admitting you were wrong. But since you elected not to, I'll go ahead and put in my two cents worth---

The fact is, a lot of cattle in this country graze weeds from time to time. Many of the early season grazing leases for stocker cattle in this country consist primarily of lush green weeds. Maybe you should tell the guys that run thousands of calves on weeds getting them ready for summer grass that their calves just won't eat weeds, according to Caustic Burno. Truth is, cattle will eat most grassy weeds and will also eat many problem broadleaf weeds like buttercup and others if you can graze them before they get too tall. It's a simple fact, but weeds are free until we start spending money on them. A lot of cattle in this country do good on weeds. So do the cattlemen that choose to utilize them before they throw money at them.

I guess poor folks has got poor ways, but I try to graze weeds hard early in the year. I know a lot of you can afford to spray all of your pastures and spread seed and fertilizer in all of them every year, but all of us don't operate like that. My cows don't know the difference between two inch buttercup and two inch clover. I do, because the buttercup is free and I have a brief window of time to use it before it gets too big and unpalatable. Then, it just becomes another invasive weed. Isn't grazing some of it better than spending money on it? My problem is that, unlike Lancemart, I just can't (or don't) concentrate enough cattle in that area to knock them all out. Young weeds also provide early season protein for me. Thank goodness for that. That's protein that doesn't have to come out of a sack. And if a cow only pulls a weed up and spits it back out, I feel like I have done a better job than spending money out of my pocket to control that weed. That's not really all that hard to figure, is it?

Some of you seem to think that manicuring your pastures with chemicals and shredding/bushhogging is the only way to operate. Many of us choose to spend our resources on things other than chemicals, diesel, and wearing out equipment. Don't get me wrong---I do plenty of shredding and use my share of chemicals, too. But I wouldn't if I could make a cow eat those weeds and not hurt production out of her. Being a low-cost producer obviously isn't something that many of you are familiar with. And I realize that many of you don't even care about learning. But running tractors over land adds a tremendous amount of expense to your annual cow costs. Of course, I realize that some of you don't ever figure things like annual cow costs. But every time I shred pastures, I can't help but think of what it is costing me on a per cow basis. It is constantly on my my mind how foolish it really is if there is another alternative.

Bottom line, the way it looks to me---Lancemart is doing a good job of managing his grazing and seems to be utilizing his resources with better management than many of us do. The size and location of his operation doesn't change that, Caustic. All of us should do the best we can with what we have to work with, no matter where it is. Especially if we're not even familiar with their area. I'd hate to think that I had somebody from Rhode Island trying to tell me how to manage my pastures. And then calling me names if I disagreed.

I'm sure that many of the rest of you do a good job of managing your pastures, too. Just in a different way than Lancemart does. Tractors at $30-40,000, burning $2.00 diesel, pulling an $8,000 shredder or spraying $70 a jug chemical with a $4,000 sprayer is also an effective means of controlling weeds. It just wouldn't be my first choice. I'd rather be more like Lancemart.

Caustic, whether you ever choose to admit it or not, cattle graze weeds! That's a fact! Not all weeds, but the more of them that we can graze, the less money we have to spend on controlling them. Lancemart is doing a good job of controlling his through grazing. I don't have any trouble admitting that he's doing a better job than I do. Maybe even a better job than you do, Caustic. A real cattleman should be able to admit when he's wrong. If he doesn't, he is doomed to making the same mistakes over and over again.
=======
Texan,
You are absolutely correct. Cows seem to get into moods and head for the scrubby areas and chow down...there is a reddish type weed with small seed tops that have briars on them round these parts that will stick your hand...cows go out of their way to eat 'em. I can't believe it when I see the cows go out of the pasture and get into a over grown area..... ready for the bush hog treatment... and eat away. Don't let anyone tell you that cows will not eat certain weeds, leaves and young bushes...they will.

Presto find something orignal to say I try not to tag along with the cattleman. Never said cows don't browse.

Texan":2vda9jii said:
Caustic Burno":2vda9jii said:
http://texnat.tamu.edu/cmplants/toxic/plants/buffalobur.html
Interesting link, Caustic. That certainly provides everything I ever wanted to know about Buffalobur. Thanks.

There are little green arrows at the bottom of the page if you click the one on the right it will take you to the next weed starting with B. Click the one on the left and it heads towards the A's.

Texan":2zelbk1b said:
Caustic Burno":2zelbk1b said:
Interesting link, Caustic. That certainly provides everything I ever wanted to know about Buffalobur. Thanks.

HA ha! :lol:

if a cow eats it on a regular basis by MY definition its not a weed. yeah i've seen a cow have a pigweed cocktail once in a while, nothing wrong with that. as long as they dont get strung out on weed. alot of weeds are toxic, thats why they are weeds. alcohol is toxic but i still drink it from time to time.

If anyone wants to know more about Pigweed(and the nitrate toxicity thereof), it's listed under Carelessweed on the web link posted by Caustic. All kidding aside, that's a very good web site for future reference. I put it on my favorites list.

Texan & Capt Call are right on the money.
There has even been research on the nutritional value of weeds. They are very nutritious.
We have "winter lots" that get churned up into mud fields, they naturally grow back to lots of weeds, wild grasses & native clovers. I have about 10 main pastures, that get split up into maybe 20-30 throughout the summer. I always rotate the cattle through the winter lots to eat the WEEDS, along with the grasses & clovers. They love them - lots of ragweed & dock - just have to be in the growth stages. My cows are far from being STARVED - they are nursing 400-600# calves right now & are in at LEAST a 5-6 condition score - some older cows even in the 7 range. They are milking heavy & holding great body condition and eat weeds in every field - but really heavy in our winter lots.
So, Lancemart, you're doing a good job. Keep it up.

A possibly interesting side note: Our cows eat cocklebur and pigweed after it's been sprayed and is seriously wilted, they won;t touch it while it's healthy. They seem to eat it about like some folks eat salad. As a side dish to the real meal.

dun

Mr. Lancemart you have received a lot of advice/information on pasture management (weeds) and rotational grazing which was partially correct at best. As I stated earlier weeds do not exist, there are three phylum that consist of grasses, deciduous trees, and evergreen conifers. Most "weeds" are in the deciduous tree phylum (broadleaf). When you purchase herbicides such as 2-4 D, Grazon or Remedy they target broadleaf plants, as other herbicides on the market target other phylum. Note never could remember the phylum for cypress trees in Bio 101 as they are deciduous conifers.
Rotational grazing is a very effective grass management system key word is management. Many of the so called "weeds" and wild flowers which fall into the deciduous phylum are toxic to cattle and overgrazing forces cattle to graze or browse on these plants.

Capt Call":n8bmlbbb said:
As I stated earlier weeds do not exist, there are three phylum that consist of grasses, deciduous trees, and evergreen conifers.

Tomato: It exist as a fruit or vegtable? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Weeds do exist....along with cattle that eat them!!

Lance, now you can have a little fun with the ag supply folks up in R.I. I think you once posted that some of them "look at you funny" when you asked certain questions. Well, now you can really dazzle them, if you'll just matter of factly tell them you need "something to knock out undesirable phylum, particularly deciduous tree phylum". ;-)

1848":1bqny43t said:
Capt Call":1bqny43t said:
As I stated earlier weeds do not exist, there are three phylum that consist of grasses, deciduous trees, and evergreen conifers.

Tomato: It exist as a fruit or vegtable? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Weeds do exist....along with cattle that eat them!!

Incorrect! Pasture management will become much easier once you become educated on the subject matter.

A weed is a plant that grows where you don't want it growing . That's what a weed is. Back when my Dad grew peanuts following corn, volunteer corn was a serious weed problem. I spent a many a summer day pulling corn(and coffee weeds) out of peanuts. And those were some long rows my friends.

ga. prime":idmouals said:
A weed is a plant that grows where you don't want it growing . That's what a weed is. Back when my Dad grew peanuts following corn, volunteer corn was a serious weed problem. I spent a many a summer day pulling corn(and coffee weeds) out of peanuts. And those were some long rows my friends.

Can you come up and help me; I don't have long rows, but I do have a lot of weeds.

ga. prime":340rvzcl said:

I agree with you and can sympathize with you gaprime, but the story was a little "corny".

How many trees you pulled with your bare hands......

....."Capt Call a weed a phylum"

Caustic Burno":11vyb9ar said:
There are little green arrows at the bottom of the page if you click the one on the right it will take you to the next weed starting with B. Click the one on the left and it heads towards the A's.
Okay, Caustic. I think I follow you now. You were just trying to help me out, weren't you? Trying to help me keep from poisoning my poor cows with Buttercup? That sure is sweet of you, Caustic. You sure are generous with your time. You're a pretty good feller. That is what you were doing, isn't it Caustic?

Maybe you need to do some figuring Caustic. Why don't you figure up how much time you spend and trouble you go to trying to prove somebody else wrong instead of just admitting when you are? It's got to be a lot of time you spend that way. Surely I'm not the only one that notices that? Maybe I should do a poll?

I'm really a little surprised at you Caustic. I was thinking you were a real cattleman? No? Surely you don't put a lot of stock in those toxic plant guides, do you? I'm sure glad my cows don't read that mess. Do yours? Guess if mine ever go to college they'll find out how bad I've been treating 'em. Because I use a lot of that stuff, Caustic. In fact, I'm gonna keep right on grazing Buttercup just like I always have. Guess I'm a slow learner, huh? But a cattleman could run himself crazy and broke at the same time trying to eradicate everything in those guides. Not to mention starving his cows to death. A lot of things in there are valuable plants to a real cattleman like you, Caustic. In fact, those things are like a who's who of economically important grazing plants.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that people shouldn't use them as a reference. Everyone should know the toxic plants they have on their place. But we have to use some common sense and use our own experiences to tell us if they are really a significant problem or not. A lot of those listings won't really hurt a cow in the real world. Caustic, maybe when you get a little more experience you can quit worrying so much about some of that stuff. I can almost see you now, Caustic. Down on your hands and knees with your magnifying glass in one hand, and your poisonous plant bible in one hand, and..... Wait a minute! How do you hold on to your tweezers, Caustic?

Hey, Caustic I noticed something else while looking at your toxic plant guide. Looks like the dummies down at TAMU aren't near as smart as you are. Maybe you need to put on a class for the PhD's, EdD's and grad-asses down there in College Station. The way some of that stuff reads, you would almost think that a cow might actually eat some of those weeds. Guess they didn't know better? But you know better don't you, Caustic? Cows don't eat weeds, do they?

Thanks for trying to help me out and for being so generous with your time, old buddy! I know you really had a lot more important stuff to do. I'm sure you probably needed to be out there on the tractor making that big money. Blowing that diesel smoke and controlling those weeds. I sure would hate for one of those prissy little cows of yours to accidentally bite down on a nasty old weed.
LMAO, Caustic......

Texan":1j20urot said:
Caustic Burno":1j20urot said:
Okay, Caustic. I think I follow you now. You were just trying to help me out, weren't you? Trying to help me keep from poisoning my poor cows with Buttercup? That sure is sweet of you, Caustic. You sure are generous with your time. You're a pretty good feller. That is what you were doing, isn't it Caustic?

Maybe you need to do some figuring Caustic. Why don't you figure up how much time you spend and trouble you go to trying to prove somebody else wrong instead of just admitting when you are? It's got to be a lot of time you spend that way. Surely I'm not the only one that notices that? Maybe I should do a poll?
I just want to know what college Caustic's Cows' attended. I cannot educate my cows to not eat weeds. I sit them down at their desks and the continuously ignore my instructions. What college did his cows attend--"What's a matter U" I tried to get my herd of 3 in but they failed the weed exam.

I'm really a little surprised at you Caustic. I was thinking you were a real cattleman? No? Surely you don't put a lot of stock in those toxic plant guides, do you? I'm sure glad my cows don't read that mess. Do yours? Guess if mine ever go to college they'll find out how bad I've been treating 'em. Because I use a lot of that stuff, Caustic. In fact, I'm gonna keep right on grazing Buttercup just like I always have. Guess I'm a slow learner, huh? But a cattleman could run himself crazy and broke at the same time trying to eradicate everything in those guides. Not to mention starving his cows to death. A lot of things in there are valuable plants to a real cattleman like you, Caustic. In fact, those things are like a who's who of economically important grazing plants.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that people shouldn't use them as a reference. Everyone should know the toxic plants they have on their place. But we have to use some common sense and use our own experiences to tell us if they are really a significant problem or not. A lot of those listings won't really hurt a cow in the real world. Caustic, maybe when you get a little more experience you can quit worrying so much about some of that stuff. I can almost see you now, Caustic. Down on your hands and knees with your magnifying glass in one hand, and your poisonous plant bible in one hand, and..... Wait a minute! How do you hold on to your tweezers, Caustic?

Hey, Caustic I noticed something else while looking at your toxic plant guide. Looks like the dummies down at TAMU aren't near as smart as you are. Maybe you need to put on a class for the PhD's, EdD's and grad-asses down there in College Station. The way some of that stuff reads, you would almost think that a cow might actually eat some of those weeds. Guess they didn't know better? But you know better don't you, Caustic? Cows don't eat weeds, do they?

Thanks for trying to help me out and for being so generous with your time, old buddy! I know you really had a lot more important stuff to do. I'm sure you probably needed to be out there on the tractor making that big money. Blowing that diesel smoke and controlling those weeds. I sure would hate for one of those prissy little cows of yours to accidentally bite down on a nasty old weed.
LMAO, Caustic......

Caustic Burno":bubogx5k said:

So now we have to send our cattle to college. I tried getting them into the local AG school but they failed the weed exam. What college did you send your cows to----??????
"WHAT'S AMATTER U'"

The worst thing about reading this post is I have to now go out in my pastures and look at my weeds. Try and identify them all, determine if any are poisonous. Guess I can flag em with a hazard sign so the cows will know not to eat em.

:lol: :lol:

Hope I don't get snakebit while identifying all these dang weeds.

SF":2e85p85i said:
The worst thing about reading this post is I have to now go out in my pastures and look at my weeds. Try and identify them all, determine if any are poisonous. Guess I can flag em with a hazard sign so the cows will know not to eat em.

:lol: :lol:

Hope I don't get snakebit while identifying all these dang weeds.
Better off teaching them cows which snakes are poisonous. :lol:

SF":1xrtyy8y said:
. Try and identify them all, determine if any are poisonous.

Maybe you can send a digital photo to caustic. Bet he could ID them for you and tell you the toxicity level. Less worries that way for you. He donated his time to Texan. I bet if you offered just a few greenbacks he would be more than willing to help you out.
What do you think caustic, need a side job? It will help pay for the fuel and the chemical you need. :lol:

Latest posts