Weaning weights on Specific Crosses

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Curious what kind of variations everyone gets on weaning weights? Real weights at the specific age you wean and with what Kind of cattle you are getting them.

Specifically interested in Angus/Simmental and Angus/Maine Cross. But very curious on other crosses people are using also.

So what age do you wean and what kind of average weights are you getting? And what kind of cattle?

Calf's average a 100 pounds a month that's a F-1 tiger breed back to a Hereford so you have 3/4 Hereford 1/4 brammer.

I wean the salebarn calfs four to five months.

Caustic are your Tiger's as crazy as everyone says the breed is I can't believe the docile Hereford breed produces those nuts the brangus aren't as nuts?

shutskytj":1t3cnm0o said:
Caustic are your Tiger's as crazy as everyone says the breed is I can't believe the docile Hereford breed produces those nuts the brangus aren't as nuts?

Brangus can be quite "nuts" as well.

I've seen CB mention more than once that tempermant was a culling factor for him. Doesn't matter how nuts a cow is, if you continually cull for it you will have a better than average tempermant in your herd. Now these will never be petting zoo babies, but can be improved.

I hear you Cypress I was just shocked when everyone kept just mentioning the Tigers as totally nuts wanting to kill. Same way with the Angus breed most people are staying away from the line of nuts. But the way people were talking it seemed the Tigers were few and far between right now

aplusmnt":2g81l90l said:
Specifically interested in Angus/Simmental and Angus/Maine Cross. But very curious on other crosses people are using also.

My Angus/Simm X calves averaged about 35 lbs heavier than my Angus/Maine X calves, however in fairness, I don't think the Maine bulls I was using were quite up to the quality of the Simm bulls. My Angus/Shortie X calves outweigh the A/S by an average of 25 lbs.

My commercial herd is not at all consistent on weaning weights, as I've got too many "experiments" buried out there. I'm currently using Shorthorn bulls on them, so the Angus/Simm/Shortie calves are coming off the mothers at an average of 600 lbs. The A/M/S calves average a few lbs less again. My Angus/Shortie and Angus/Shortie/Shortie calves are weaning at 625 lbs. This is at 5 months on an average cow size of around 1400 lbs.

Bear in mind that our grass up north isn't overly nutritious, as we get alot of rainfall. My easy keeping cows usually come in the fall off LUSH pasture, but losing weight. Theres just not alot of feed quality on grass thats all water.

Rod

shutskytj":c20ib8jl said:
I hear you Cypress I was just shocked when everyone kept just mentioning the Tigers as totally nuts wanting to kill. Same way with the Angus breed most people are staying away from the line of nuts. But the way people were talking it seemed the Tigers were few and far between right now

Just misunderstood cattle happy to see you, will run to greet you bellowing about how happy they are to see you.
HerefordxBrammer cross best momma cow in the world IMO and you can put any purebreed bull on her and watch out kick ass calves are on the way.
The only draw back is the cross produces lots of loose screws not cattle for a newbie or hobby boy oh I mean Urban Cattleman. I am only retaining 3/4 Hereford 1/4 Brammer gals these new model F-1's are faster than the old models.
I am moving to an F-2 operation.
Brammers require a different approach as you lead brammers you ain't driving them and they can smell a rat a mile away, trick old Belle once and that will never work again.
As far as Brangus go come in two options 1st option is fuse is lit
Option2 is come with a box of kitchen matches and a fast burning fuse.

Latest posts