Early weaning

Help Support CattleToday:

How long are you feeding the cow that produces a calf? Why would you sell the profit you are making with the cow, early, to someone else?

Your input for the year are pretty much the same whether you are selling for 300 pounds or for 500 pounds.

For Cripe sake... do the math.
That is not true. That last #200 can be very costly to a producer.

Tell me how...
For one, selling cows doesn't grow grass. If you don't get the rain you still don't have the grass.

On your point of math, if you have 30 cows and 30 calves. 30x200# eating on pasture is a significant increase. Especially when calves really start to graze a lot more at that size. That's how most people get in trouble over grazing. They underemphasize those couple months when they have big calves grazing with cows on their pasture. It's also the easiest way to add pounds to your calves before they sell if you do it right.

Feeding cows to raise calves is a loser money wise and on your pasture, long term.

That's not taking in to account light calves, breed back issues, etc if you don't maintain their nutrition just right.

I agree with your about probably needing to cut some cows but that is step 2 IMO. Wean early first, then look at cows. Some of that would depend on how long the OP can hold out and how dire the situation is.

No one said they are losing money on the #300, either. A bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush.

There is probably more than one way to skin this cat but I've had very good luck selling early when things turn dry. I go for #400 because it's a sweet spot on time, price, etc for us but I don't know the OP exact circumstances.

For one, selling cows doesn't grow grass. If you don't get the rain you still don't have the grass.

On your point of math, if you have 30 cows and 30 calves. 30x200# eating on pasture is a significant increase. Especially when calves really start to graze a lot more at that size. That's how most people get in trouble over grazing. They underemphasize those couple months when they have big calves grazing with cows on their pasture. It's also the easiest way to add pounds to your calves before they sell if you do it right.

Feeding cows to raise calves is a loser money wise and on your pasture, long term.

That's not taking in to account light calves, breed back issues, etc if you don't maintain their nutrition just right.

I agree with your about probably needing to cut some cows but that is step 2 IMO. Wean early first, then look at cows. Some of that would depend on how long the OP can hold out and how dire the situation is.

No one said they are losing money on the #300, either. A bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush.

There is probably more than one way to skin this cat but I've had very good luck selling early when things turn dry. I go for #400 because it's a sweet spot on time, price, etc for us but I don't know the OP exact circumstances.
Please don't ignore that I said he was running too many cows if he doesn't have the grass to wean at heavier weights...

You are always going to make more money weaning calves as late as possible with fewer cows on decent grass than to wean them early with more cows on grass that is declining to the point of starvation.

If your carrying capacity is changing you have to change your stocking rate. That's a cold hard fact. Otherwise we might as well be selling bottle calves and carrying the cows without them feeding a calf at all.

A few years ago we had similar conditions to what you describe and I weaned my calves early around 8 wks with some 6 wks of age. I had them on grass and a grain mix once a day. I weighed them regularly and fed enough to keep them gaining at 1- 1.5 kg/day. I retained a few more heifers than normal and castrated most of the bull calves which I sold around the 250 kg mark. I culled the cow herd heavily selling the older cows that I had already retained a heifer from and then put them in my scrub block where they go each year after weaning their calves. The feed is poor but they always find something to chew on and I can supplement them some protein meal and grain.
The strategy worked well for me and I was back up to my cow numbers very quickly when things improved and the cost of feeding was reasonable. The heifers I weaned early will be calving their 3rd calf in a couple of months and have been very productive.

Ken

Please don't ignore that I said he was running too many cows if he doesn't have the grass to wean at heavier weights...

You are always going to make more money weaning calves as late as possible with fewer cows on decent grass than to wean them early with more cows on grass that is declining to the point of starvation.

If your carrying capacity is changing you have to change your stocking rate. That's a cold hard fact. Otherwise we might as well be selling bottle calves and carrying the cows without them feeding a calf at all.
Once you are already behind the 8 ball with grass and numbers, though, as several have said, if you don't get rain it won't make a difference any time soon. OP could look at selling pairs, but they're just as likely to get split without the benefit of being weaned ahead of time. Maybe find a buddy who already sold off last year and needs some grass mowed for a few months-that's wishing hard…

I have to agree with selling some less than top notch cows to cut numbers... BUT.... weaning early will take that grazing pressure off the pastures that those calves will be eating as they transition from all milk to grazing and eating... On top of the fact that the cows will require LESS if they are not producing milk with a calf pulling on them... ADD to that; here there is normally not as big an incentive to put a greater amount of weight on the calves past the desireable "sweet spot".... here it is in the 450-550 lbs on normal years. If you wean calves off in the 6-700 range you will not realize more dollars for the calf than if you weaned it off at 550. So you are in essence throwing money away. Wasting grass on the calves as well as the cows still making more milk. And you cannot tell me that I am wrong after seeing this happen year after year after year here in Va.... @kenny thomas can tell you that I am not full of SH!T..... right now this year most any weight is making money... but the 6-8 wt range STILL is bringing less money per pound so therefore you are not realizing the benefit of that added weight against pasture that is in drought conditions. Part of it is also that we have to truck our cattle out of the area and so the buyers want certain sizes to make up the truckloads they have orders for.

We are not seeing drought conditions here......although some areas of Va have been drier than normal... but we also get alot more rain than some areas of the country that have cattle and grazing lands. But when we get a little dry it shows up since we have grasses here that have definitely been acclimated to more water requirements, than grasses that have evolved over the years to drier conditions.

If the market is there to sell the early weaned calves and give the land a bit of a break by the cows not needing as much and the calves are not eating the grass also... getting a decent price for the calves is definitely a better way to go. I have to agree with both the OP and with @Brute 23 about the cost to get that additional 200# of weight on a calf... If the grass is not good, they will not gain that much anyway.... and it will put too much stress on the cow and damage the grass. Being able to move the cows to "lesser quality" pasture and letting them just feed their own body and hopefully a developing fetus is better than everyone getting just enough for surviving and not gaining like a calf should. Also, if the drought continues in that area, holding the calves will then have them available to sell when others are cutting back and the prices could continue to drop some, as a glut hits the market in that area. Then the little added weight gain could actually cost him more in the long run.

I saw it. I don't agree. Especially with the info given and the question asked by the OP.
Well then we agree to disagree.

And what I've said applies directly to the concerns of the OP. It's ridiculous to wean early when you have a perfect unit (cow/calf) to maximize gains... and all you have to do is let it work for you.

What are your thoughts on early weaning. With our weather and the lack of rain the past 3 years was contemplating early weaning of the calves this year. Grass is getting pretty thin and not alot coming in. My early spring coolweather grass pasture is really short so was thinking of moving the cows back to the big pasture and weaning the calves early in the spring pasture. Calves were born in February.
And another thing... if you don't have at least five pastures you can't be rotating effectively for the good of your grass.

If you're thinking about weaning calves early because you don't have the pasture to keep them fed you are running too many cows.

If you are raising calves to sell for profit why would you sell 300 pound calves for $750 when you have a built in feed bag (cow) that you are going to have to feed all year, and will take them to 500 pounds when they will sell for $1150? How is taking 25% or less for your entire years production good business?

To put it another way, do the guys buying 300 pound calves make money at it? If they do, why would you let them make the money you could have made by keeping your calves?
Cheaper to feed the calf then to feed the cow.

There is a LOT of wheat pasture being grazed out instead of cut for hay.
Maybe failed wheat crops have a lot to do with it here.
Same here and absolutely due to failed wheat crops. A lot are turning out the cows for a bit then planting soy beans. The wheat is a total failure for anything else and they may get to keep their cattle a little while longer. Well, assuming they still have water.

I've been hauling water for well over 6 months.
Well went dry, I forget what month last year. It's been interesting.

They are saying prices are gonna jump when cows and calves stop coming in to the sales.. and they are already high! Or maybe just what they should be, idk

We have some calves to sell in the next couple of weeks if I can get them. Prices are guaranteed to jump shortly after.

On the radio they were saying planting was delayed in the north. When they get an idea of the how many acres are planted it corn prices will come down and cattle prices will go up. That's out of my realm but it sounds good to me.

If you're thinking about weaning calves early because you don't have the pasture to keep them fed you are running too many cows.

If you are raising calves to sell for profit why would you sell 300 pound calves for $750 when you have a built in feed bag (cow) that you are going to have to feed all year, and will take them to 500 pounds when they will sell for $1150? How is taking 25% or less for your entire years production good business?

To put it another way, do the guys buying 300 pound calves make money at it? If they do, why would you let them make the money you could have made by keeping your calves?
We have 20 cow/ calf pairs. All our cows are very good producers and raise great calves. They rang from three 2yo hefiers to mostly 4 and 5 yo. We normally calve in feb/ mar and then sell the following February. We only retain the top three hefiers each year and cull any cows that do not produce on time or loose a calf.

We have 160 acres with a 7 acre 15 foot deep pond. Our pond is almost dry to give you an idea of our lack of moisture. It was overflowing in 2020. We are renting a small 50 acre pasture that normally has cool weather grasses that we run them on for about 60 days then pull everyone out and move them back to the big pasture. I am thinking to wean the calves early so they can stay in the small pasture and move the mommas back to the big pasture.

The calves are 300 plus pounds already. We are planning to breed the cows first of june. We cant afford five pastures to rotate through and everything around us is rented out. Everything around here is dried up and harvest is looking rough for the wheat crop.

We have 20 cow/ calf pairs. All our cows are very good producers and raise great calves. They rang from three 2yo hefiers to mostly 4 and 5 yo. We normally calve in feb/ mar and then sell the following February. We only retain the top three hefiers each year and cull any cows that do not produce on time or loose a calf.

We have 160 acres with a 7 acre 15 foot deep pond. Our pond is almost dry to give you an idea of our lack of moisture. It was overflowing in 2020. We are renting a small 50 acre pasture that normally has cool weather grasses that we run them on for about 60 days then pull everyone out and move them back to the big pasture. I am thinking to wean the calves early so they can stay in the small pasture and move the mommas back to the big pasture.

The calves are 300 plus pounds already. We are planning to breed the cows first of june. We cant afford five pastures to rotate through and everything around us is rented out. Everything around here is dried up and harvest is looking rough for the wheat crop.
Have you considered a cheap electric fence to divide your acreage? Even dividing it once would enhance your rotational benefits tremendously. Three paddocks would be even better. It's tough dealing with the drought. It sounds like it's hit you hard.

Latest posts