Weaning for Dollars

Help Support CattleToday:

MurraysMutts said:
I have this weird obsession with trying do things right!
Lol
I want the best quality animal that I am capable of delivering. And I'd like to be compensated for it too.

Theres an old saying.
Theres 2 ways to do something.
The right way
And horse $hat!
Guess which way we're gonna do it?

May not get em on wheat tho, and that makes me sad.
They have unlimited hay and 38% cubes daily tho.
They are settling in nicely. All nice and calm cept 1. And we're gonna eat him. I've noticed the nice calm well weaned animals tend to bring a bit more as well. So I'm working on that too. Just being around them gets them used to people and such, and they ain't so spooky. Yep, I'm rambling...

You do realize that the huge percentage of feeder cattle end up owned by feedlots with 10s of thousands of cattle in them and that they have no care if you can pet your animals? They would rather them a little on the skittish side as they handle better through facilities and in a herd.

They are far more concerned with fleshing ability and performance than temperament.

gcreekrch said:
MurraysMutts said:
Lol
I want the best quality animal that I am capable of delivering. And I'd like to be compensated for it too.

Theres an old saying.
The right way
And horse $hat!

They are settling in nicely. All nice and calm cept 1. And we're gonna eat him. I've noticed the nice calm well weaned animals tend to bring a bit more as well. So I'm working on that too. Just being around them gets them used to people and such, and they ain't so spooky. Yep, I'm rambling...

You do realize that the huge percentage of feeder cattle end up owned by feedlots with 10s of thousands of cattle in them and that they have no care if you can pet your animals? They would rather them a little on the skittish side as they handle better through facilities and in a herd.

They are far more concerned with fleshing ability and performance than temperament.

I've been around several feedlots including a few large ones and have good friends who manage some large lots. My BIL fed cattle for many years. They all say a calm calf will gain better and thus be ready to sell sooner that one that is a little skittish.

gcreekrch said:
MurraysMutts said:
Lol

Theres an old saying.
The right way
And horse $hat!

Dark cutters don't work for any one. Cattle that bruise shoulders going through the chute don't go to the bunk regularly.
I understand what you are saying. I don't want pets either, but when I go to a farm to sort/grade a load of cattle it almost always goes better if someone has carried buckets every day to feed them as a posed to a feed wagon or belt feeder.
Cattle that run to the back of the pen when you open the truck door are harder to read, hide illness more, and just tend to tare up more stuff in the feed lot.

Agreed. Here we would call those that run to the back of the pen "ranch cattle" likely have never seen anyone on foot until they left home.
SBMF 2015 said:
gcreekrch said:
MurraysMutts said:
Lol

Theres an old saying.
The right way
And horse $hat!

Dark cutters don't work for any one. Cattle that bruise shoulders going through the chute don't go to the bunk regularly.
I understand what you are saying. I don't want pets either, but when I go to a farm to sort/grade a load of cattle it almost always goes better if someone has carried buckets every day to feed them as a posed to a feed wagon or belt feeder.
Cattle that run to the back of the pen when you open the truck door are harder to read, hide illness more, and just tend to tare up more stuff in the feed lot.

Correct, three classes in my world, ranch cattle that have basically never seen anyone on foot until they left home.

Farmer cattle, which include ours, gentle enough to handle any way you prefer from quads to horseback to foot.

And pets, the kind that sull up and won't move when pressured because they have no flight zone and no respect for people.

gcreekrch said:
Agreed. Here we would call those that run to the back of the pen "ranch cattle" likely have never seen anyone on foot until they left home.
SBMF 2015 said:
gcreekrch said:

Correct, three classes in my world, ranch cattle that have basically never seen anyone on foot until they left home.

Farmer cattle, which include ours, gentle enough to handle any way you prefer from quads to horseback to foot.

And pets, the kind that sull up and won't move when pressured because they have no flight zone and no respect for people.

You betcha!
Dont need pets. Just got calm animals that dont go nutz when people are around or when they are penned.
We all know that kind. The kind that clear the ring when they come a running in....

I do have a few cows that are just, for whatever reason, naturally cool, calm, and collected. 2 in particular are very pet like. But they move when I tell em to.
Now the bottle calf... shes a real pain in arse!
Lmao

We are giving scour shots to the "Black Cows" today. A little sorting needed. They are going down the alley good, good thing the Kiwi is quick on the gate. Not one of them will close her eyes and walk over you instead of going where you want her, just love that kind! Not!
A few getting worked up but they haven't thought of putting either of us up the fence yet.

Definitely.
Just dont need em acting like idiots. Running around all nimbly bimbly n stuff...
Lol
So been a few days on wheat now. I think I can see them gaining already! Haha!
But seriously. What do people hope for on rate of gain? 2 lbs a day? 3 lbs a day?
We plan on pulling them off mid may. We will see how that goes. Sure hope things have settled down by then.

Average daily gain varies a lot depending on turn out calf condition and calf size and genetics and sex and weather and length of grazing season...

- Poor grass or poor calf at about 0.5 lb/day.
- Good perennial grass and green calf is about 1.7 lb/day here.
- Good perennial grass and some supplement is about 2.0 lb/day here. Up to 2.4 with a continental cross steer calf.
- High level of supplement or grazing corn up to 3.0 lb/day with steer calf.

So they are good and weaned now. More than 45 days.
I'm also past the 45 day withdrawal so I can sell em anytime now. Think they are gonna stay on the wheat for at least 2 more weeks. Maybe a month. We will see.
As an aside, had to walk about 3 or 4 miles today, getting a dang heifer back where she belonged.
Somehow 1 heifer got out. Just had to be one of mine. Ain't that always the way it goes? That's more walking on rough terrain than I wanna do for a long time....

Calves came off wheat today.
101 pounds gain per head. 8 head
Lost the dinky 212 pound, 8 month old steer. He hasn't been well for a while.
Gonna try and sell em this week.
Got 2 really nice heifers I was gonna keep but...
Maybe I need the money more.

Bought a few calves yesterday, worked them with the idea of weaning and keeping them a while. Sold today for a 20% profit delivered in 2 weeks. I like weaning them.

MurraysMutts said:
Calves came off wheat today.
101 pounds gain per head. 8 head
Lost the dinky 212 pound, 8 month old steer. He hasn't been well for a while.
Gonna try and sell em this week.
Got 2 really nice heifers I was gonna keep but...
Maybe I need the money more.

So 2lb a head a day roughly ?

And I assume you mean a wheat field, what stage was wheat at ?

Found the dink yesterday. Was almost 10 pm b4 I got in the house. Hes in a pen by himself. He just walks like he has a swivel in the middle. Stiff rear half.
I bet he didnt gain 50 pounds. Just a poor calf.
Likely wont bring anything at the sale, so I'll let him eat and make hamburgers I guess.
The gain cost me hardly anything on the group. Was able to trade some labor and what not.
Think I've traded the 2 nice heifers for 40 bales of beardless wheat hay put up right. I'll figure that out shortly.
I'd like to keep them. But really dont have room. And know I'll need hay for winter yet..

Latest posts