Looking for an angus bull prospect in South Texas.

Help Support CattleToday:

Sotex

Reaction score
Don't beat me up to bad guys. I'm still a beginner on this forum and although I feel like I've learned a bit over the last 4 years of running a small herd I've always been the type to be open to suggestions and knowledge.

I've decided that I want to purchase a young angus bull that will be ready to breed some cows as well as some heifers in June. I'm trying to develop my herd into a type that does well on grass only.

I'm what most of you would consider a "hobby" rancher. I do have afull time job and only run about 8-10 head of momma cows on 168 acres "I like to leave alot of food for the wildlife". Anyway, I think the best decision for my little herd atthis time would be an angus bull since angus calves bring the highest $$ per pound in my area but obviously I'm not large enough of an operation to justify spending a ton of money on a bull.

So, If any of you have a good young angus bull prospect that would be heifer safe and promote the grass fed only genetics that I'm shooting for let me know.

Thank you for your time and the input that you have.

I have a few quarter ears and a few brangus mixes of uncertain breeding. They all produce a decent calf each year so I've Kept Them around. So mostly quarter ears. They're currently bred to a red baldie bull. I sold my Ultra Black bull at the beginning of the drought in 2022 and my Brother in law had a red baldie.

Anyway, I'd like to get a bull again so cows don't get missed and I don't have to keep as close an eye on them. I'm self employed and sometimes get swamped with work.

I have a few quarter ears and a few brangus mixes of uncertain breeding. They all produce a decent calf each year so I've Kept Them around. So mostly quarter ears. They're currently bred to a red baldie bull. I sold my Ultra Black bull at the beginning of the drought in 2022 and my Brother in law had a red baldie.

Anyway, I'd like to get a bull again so cows don't get missed and I don't have to keep as close an eye on them. I'm self employed and sometimes get swamped with work.
Just so you know... being new and all... if you get into the habit of using the "Post reply" at the bottom right people will be able to know you are replying to them and others will be able to follow the conversation. So really... welcome to the forum. I hope you get something out of it and we all hope you add your own voice.

Don't beat me up to bad guys. I'm still a beginner on this forum and although I feel like I've learned a bit over the last 4 years of running a small herd I've always been the type to be open to suggestions and knowledge.

I've decided that I want to purchase a young angus bull that will be ready to breed some cows as well as some heifers in June. I'm trying to develop my herd into a type that does well on grass only.

I'm what most of you would consider a "hobby" rancher. I do have afull time job and only run about 8-10 head of momma cows on 168 acres "I like to leave alot of food for the wildlife". Anyway, I think the best decision for my little herd atthis time would be an angus bull since angus calves bring the highest $$ per pound in my area but obviously I'm not large enough of an operation to justify spending a ton of money on a bull.

So, If any of you have a good young angus bull prospect that would be heifer safe and promote the grass fed only genetics that I'm shooting for let me know.

Thank you for your time and the input that you have.
How far are your from Byran? These folks will rent you any bull they have for sale, for $300 a month. 2 months should be more than enough for 10 cows. https://www.jjcattleco.com/catalog?...gory]=35&sort[0][c]=lot_number&sort[0][d]=asc

With only 8-10 cows, you may want to consider AI. The cost and hassle of keeping a bull full time would probably be worth it. Plus, you would potentially be calving year 'round and the cows wouldn't get much of a break in-between weaning/calving again.

But agree that leasing is a good option, assuming the bull is fully vaccinated and you're not bringing any disease to your herd. Biosecurity is important!

With only 8-10 cows, you may want to consider AI. The cost and hassle of keeping a bull full time would probably be worth it. Plus, you would potentially be calving year 'round and the cows wouldn't get much of a break in-between weaning/calving again.

But agree that leasing is a good option, assuming the bull is fully vaccinated and you're not bringing any disease to your herd. Biosecurity is important!
I have done AI before. A couple cows didn't breed. The biggest problem with AI for me is that I'm self employed and don't always have the time to check cows once or twice per day. There have also been times when I caught a cow in heat but the AI guy wasn't available. It ends up taking alot of my time and in my case time is money.

I totally understand the extra expense of feeding a bull but it saves me alot of time and if a cow doesn't breed I don't have to call someone back out or take her in. My hope is that she'll breed the next cycle. If they go more than 12 months between calves I get rid of em.

I have learned that the biggest limiting factor of AI is tech availability/cost. Last June we attempted AI on 2 cows and a heifer. 1 stuck. No bull access, and since we were timing for 60 days after last calf, we ran into the heat of summer and then life happened-didn't want to drop another $300 in less than ideal conditions. So we waited. Decided to use one of the bull calves to breed the two who missed, but had to wait for him to mature also. Small herd inconveniences. I guess that's the "hobby farm" risk.

I have done AI before. A couple cows didn't breed. The biggest problem with AI for me is that I'm self employed and don't always have the time to check cows once or twice per day. There have also been times when I caught a cow in heat but the AI guy wasn't available. It ends up taking alot of my time and in my case time is money.

I totally understand the extra expense of feeding a bull but it saves me alot of time and if a cow doesn't breed I don't have to call someone back out or take her in. My hope is that she'll breed the next cycle. If they go more than 12 months between calves I get rid of em.
I can't tell you how many folks think "they will just ai" and show up at my place three months later desperately looking for a bull. You do hear of people who seem to always get em all every year just like you hear of folks getting 25 MPG with their truck. For most folks it won't happen.