Parted ways with an old friend

Help Support CattleToday:

I hope he sells well for you. It's hard to see an old one like that go sometimes, but a good payday sure helps soften the blow.

Sent one of our herd bulls to the sale this morning. Raised him from one of the first registered Angus cows I bought . AI calf out of Deer Valley All In . He was the tallest Angus bull I've ever seen . Thought I had a picture on my phone but seems I erased it .
I have a 7 year old that I will have to part with because i have sold a lot of my cows. I raised him and it will be a sad day. But have a yearling to replace him with already.

Weighed 2155 and brought 1.06 lb He fell in the low dressing group . Thought he was in really good shape . Maybe being older he fell in the low dressing group ?

I took two bulls to the sale and was shy of about $150 per critter of what I paid for them. After commission and the other fees.
I have done this many a time: Buy a bull, use him 2 or 3 months, then sell him. Might make a buck or two, or lose a little, or break even. Even if I lost a ;little , it was cheaper than leasing one. And years ago, I would buy bulls for other people, and leased them to folks for $5 a day, 60 day minimum.

Sent one of our herd bulls to the sale this morning. Raised him from one of the first registered Angus cows I bought . AI calf out of Deer Valley All In . He was the tallest Angus bull I've ever seen . Thought I had a picture on my phone but seems I erased it .
I know how you feel. That my problem also. I don't like sending even the calves out. Had forty two head of goats and I sold them off and still don't like it but I felt it was time to move on it and sell out. When people ask "why did you get rid of all your goats"? I just answer , "Didn't need any more tax write offs". It's still sad to go to pasture where they were though. They all had name and would see me coming in the pasture and they would come running and hollowing and crowd around me as I wasi walking to the feed sheds. I really miss them but it had gotten to where it was too much for me to do with the feeding, doctoring, hoof trimming and fence / hotwires they would tear up. Still miss them though.

I know how you feel. That my problem also. I don't like sending even the calves out. Had forty two head of goats and I sold them off and still don't like it but I felt it was time to move on it and sell out. When people ask "why did you get rid of all your goats"? I just answer , "Didn't need any more tax write offs". It's still sad to go to pasture where they were though. They all had name and would see me coming in the pasture and they would come running and hollowing and crowd around me as I wa if walking to the feed sheds. I really miss them but it had gotten to where it was too much for me to do with the feeding, doctoring, hoof trimming and fence / hotwires they would tear up. Still miss them though.
I can totally understand.