After weaning

Help Support CattleToday:

What weight are they at ?
I usually keep mine till around 600 30 days weaned
Some like them heavier and some sell lighter calves

i'd sell them. 400 - 500 lb calves are bringing just as much as 600 lb ones, if not more.
Around here it seems 550-599 is the best per pound/most weight bracket. Go over 600 the difference per head starts dropping. Get to 800 and they fall off a cliff. Keep them that long, you just as well take them to finish or put together a pot and ship them west.

You said they are weaned 30 days... are they eating good? Not bawling? If you don't have the grass, I would save the feed and sell them... you don't know if it is going to be wet or dry this year... get them gone with the prices the way they are....
45-60 days is considered "ideal" but if they are acting good and eating good, the demand is there now... I would sell them.
We had a big group that were weaned and on silage and hay... weaned over 45 days... but they were split into a couple groups for like sizes... and the 575 weights brought nearly as much in total dollars as the 700 wts due to the less per lb difference. Some were bought calves, most were our own, as we buy some and make up groups to match as bigger groups often sell a little better here than singles or 2-3.... BUT... right now, everything is high..... we have one more smaller group of 15 or so that will be going in a week or 2 that we were going to run out at a summer pasture, but we are going to put heifers out there instead.

My daughter does the tickets for the sale barn, she's been there a couple years, then my son will sort them and run them through the ring. Last year we sold the highest for the weekend, I'm hoping to do the same this year.

My cousin pulled his off the cow and straight to the barn, his sold bottom of the barrel but still did alright I thought