Weaning question for stocker buyers.

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbilly beef man

Reaction score
I have a question for those of you that runs stockers. How much is a weaned and vaccinated calf worth to you versus a calf that was weaned on diesel smoke? $20? $50? $100? Here at the sale barn a weaned and vacc calf if worth $.05 to $.10 more than one just pulled off the cow with no shots. As a result very few people wean calves around here. I was just wondering what dollar amount weaning is worth for stocker folks. I should have my weaning pen finished by summer so I was wondering if it was worth using it for anything besides retained heifers.

I can't really give an accurately consistent price premium, but I'm guessing maybe .10 cents. I have been buying heifer calves at a graded feeder calf sale for Hereford and Hereford influenced calves. Have sold a few steers there too. The larger groups seem to sell at a definite premium compared to the calves going through the regular sale. From a buyers perspective, I like getting calves from there, as I don't have to work them, and they are eating feed already, which is worth paying a little more for them.
I would advise to talk to someone from the market that you sell at, they should be knowledgeable with more specific prices.
Here there are several special graded feeder sales that co-mingle cattle from different farms based on frame and weight.

Personally, I almost exclusively buy unweaned calves. It cost me $20 in meds, and the shrink. The shrink is usually gained back quickly. Hard to say what value that has. I like to put on a 100 pounds, straighten a calf out a little, and reap the premium for now being weaned. I would like to think that the weaning and the straightening brings in .15 - .20. That's probably not always the case.

Bigfoot":16e44j2v said:
Personally, I almost exclusively buy unweaned calves. It cost me $20 in meds, and the shrink. The shrink is usually gained back quickly. Hard to say what value that has. I like to put on a 100 pounds, straighten a calf out a little, and reap the premium for now being weaned. I would like to think that the weaning and the straightening brings in .15 - .20. That's probably not always the case.

I agree Bigfoot, if I am buying calves to just put some weight on and resell, I prefer the 3-4 weight singles and put a little bunch together. I have usually had pretty good success with them health wise, and try to stay on top of it if any start acting puny.
The ones I have been buying at the weaned program sales, are bought with the intentions of selling as bred heifers, so I am looking for higher quality calves. I figure that if they are weaning and vaccinating them, then there is hopefully some better quality in the calves, but I'm sure that's not always the case.

With barns it can add .05-.15 cents more but I vaccinate to my program when I bring them in so I don't bid more because it's vaccinated. The weaning aspect doesn't really matter to me il buy either based on calf quality vs how it was weaned.

The premium will often depend on the size of the group that will be able to sell together. A group of less than five probably won't make more than a five cents but a group of 40+ it could make a .15 to .20 cent premium at the right barn. By weaning your calves and giving them 2 rounds of vaccinations you are taking the premium that a lot of backgrounders make on calves they turn over quickly like BF is talking about and getting it for yourself.

hillbilly beef man":1b5iufiq said:
I have a question for those of you that runs stockers. How much is a weaned and vaccinated calf worth to you versus a calf that was weaned on diesel smoke? $20? $50? $100?

Lots of variables based on the time of year and how your receiving is set up and how carefully you select calves and VOG... A reasonable per head range here for the poorly managed kind would be:
An additional $10 to $15 injected.
An additional $10 to $20 of death loss.
An reduction of $25 to $35 in gain.
So this totals up to $45 to $70 per head difference, plus your time. :(

Latest posts