We may all be missing the boat, by not raising Corrientes!

Help Support CattleToday:

48K is what the truck and trailer weigh? Or 48k is the net weight of cattle they can load?
Weight of load. Like @faster horses mentioned there are bigger and smaller rigs. But when someone says a "pot" it's kinda like a unit of measurement. Means around 48000 # of cattle.

How much more will a cow weigh the first of april when she is gonna calve,, if her 3 year old weight in first trimester is 600lbs.? She's in trouble!
Mostly I would say yes but I have a 6 year old Corriente that is 7 months bred and weighed 685 recently. I will not give her a second look when she starts to calve. But I'm sure she won't have a 100# calf either. She cost $285 back in the summer at 1 month bred. Pretty sure her calf will double that next fall.

Personally, I have a lot of respect for Corriente cattle. My husband and daughter used to team rope and we keep the Corriente cattle at our place. I always wanted some Corriente cows but never did get any. They are good mothers and darn sure hardy cattle. But you better know how to handle them...

Pot (belly) livestock trailer. Double deck trailer with a pot belly lower section in front of the wheels up to the nose section of the trailer.
pot.jpg
Not a pot livestock trailer
notapot.jpg
Best I know - Weight limit of loaded truck and trailer is generally 80,000 pounds on the highway. Set by the state and may depend on the highway type (non-interstate highways may have a little higher limit). May depend on axle spacing and number of axles. May have some agricultural exemptions including distance from farm. Varies from state to state. Can you haul more weight? That would require a permit (money for the state). Permits issued by the states which means a new permit for each state you enter. Lots of government regulations. Some not easy to understand by the driver or law enforcement.
Is a CDL required to drive that 80,000 pound truck and trailer? Generally, unless it has a farm tag and you stay in-state within 150 miles from home. Do you need a CDL to drive that 3500 Ram pickup with a farm tag pulling a big gooseneck out of state? That truck is rated to tow 35,000 pounds. You may find that you are illegal without that CDL.

How much more will a cow weigh the first of april when she is gonna calve,, if her 3 year old weight in first trimester is 600lbs.? She's in trouble!
If you are talking about those 75-80 in that ad, no one said they were 600 lbs but you. Those will weigh between 700 and 800. Those cows are going to calve end of June and into July.... the bull was put in with them Sept 23rd. A long yearling Corr heifer might weigh in the 600's when she is bred, but never had one or heard of one with calving problems, as these are bred either to a Corr bull or Angus.

So is it safe to say a liner would fit 115 500-600 lb calves? Also if you don't mind me asking, how much should I expect to pay to get a load of calves hauled 300 kms to Northern Alberta?
Where I live I would expect to pay roughly $1500 for the move, and I live almost in Northern Alberta.
Sounds about right for the number of calves on a tridem liner, but it seems to me that at that weight of calves they can run out of space before they get to max payload. You'd want to check with Kuester or whoever would do your hauling.

Where I live I would expect to pay roughly $1500 for the move, and I live almost in Northern Alberta.
Sounds about right for the number of calves on a tridem liner, but it seems to me that at that weight of calves they can run out of space before they get to max payload. You'd want to check with Kuester or whoever would do your hauling.

115 500 pound calves on a liner is tight, but quite doable if there is nose decking in. As they approach 600 pounds, things are going to get tighter.

A 300km trip would run you right around $1500

Well, I spent this past weekend down there. It was the last weekend of small game season, so we got in our last rabbit and quail hunts for the year. Beagles and bird dogs both did well, as did out gaited hunting horses. Put a limit of both in the freezer both days, and got our limit of fox and grey squirrels both mornings. We needed all of these for the Brunswick stew for opening day of dove season this coming September.

I got down there Friday afternoon, and we went ahead and rounded up the cows and put them in the corral before we started running beagles all weekend. Out of the 83, 80 had calved, and the other 3 didn't look close. They probably got bred by the Corriente clean-up bull for March calves. Actually, if we would have had a few more that didn;t get bred til the clean-up bull was put in in June, we'd be ok. We don't mind a few every year, especially if they are heifers, to replace some of the older cows. If one of these 3 is a bull calf, we will probably leave him, as our bull is getting old...10 or 12 years old. I called the person on here Monday, that bought the 20 cows from us last year, and all 20 had come in with black polled calves. I called the gal who bought the 16 head, and they had 13 black calves on the ground Monday, with another about to calve any day. The other 2 aren't close, so they will probably have Corriente calves, too.

We tagged and cut those 80 calves in a couple of hours Saturday. Me and Scott just heeled, never had to get off our horses. His son and grandson did the tagging and cutting. His granddaughter and one of her high school rodeo friends held the herd, and pushed the finished cows and calves to the front half of the corral. Ain't nothing in the world, to me, better than working cattle on good horses! :)

So, out of the 120 cows we bred last May, the one was shot by poachers last month. Out of the 119 left, there were 114 black calves on the ground in a 25 day calving window. About even mix too...41 heifers and 39 bull calves out of our 80 that had calved. Scott had put 6 Ultrablack bulls in the herd last year, all of them about 16-18 mos old. IMO, we could not have dreamed of better results, and I would like to repeat this. We have those 83 left, 4 Corriente heifers from last year that will be 15 months old when the bulls go in last of April, and the 12 Fla Scrub/Pineywoods I bought a couple of weeks ago, that will calve in March and April to Angus bulls. With 99 cows, would be awesome to get 95 or more calves like this next February.

But, I am skeptical about the bulls he is planning on using this time, some being 1/2 to 1/4 Black Simmental and some 1/2 to 1/4 Chi-Angus. Especially the Simmentals. But, apparently there are people out west breeding their Corr cows to Charolais bulls, so maybe it will be ok. I am gonna insist we pull those 4 Corr heifers out when he puts the bulls in last of April, and wait til June when we put the Corr cleanup bull in.

Scott's brother has had tremendous success breeding his Brahma and Brangus cows with Chi-angus and Black Simm bulls, as far as creating replacement heifers. Sells everyone that hits the ground to the same 4-5 customers. But, I am not so sure about using bulls like that, especially on little Corr cows. I guess we will see. I myself believe in the old adage: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

All that and NO pictures??

Booo! 😆
Well, dunno how I could rope calves, or shoot a shotgun toting a camera! I think I saw those girls that rode turn-back Saturday take some with their phones before we got started, but it was just then posing with their horses before they and the horses got dirty and sweaty. I didn't take a camera down with me this time, and my phone is a flip phone the size of a cigarrette pack. I don't do texting or get online with it...I just leave it in the truck unless I want to call someone. I am on a computer all day and half the night every day, and constantly on the phone til 5 or 6 weekdays, so I try my best to stay disconnected when I can. I miss the days before we had the damned things, myself.

Busy weekend Warren. You need to slow down.
I hear ya, Fence!!! Trust me, my old a$$ was so sore I could hardly walk yesterday morning. I have sat at my desk these past 2 days, entering a year's worth of stuff in my Quickbooks. Got to have it before the 15th. I just finished September 2021, and will knock the rest of it out in the morning. I tell myself I will go ahead and do Jan and Feb of this year, then make entries every day that I take in or pay out money....but I know I won't. :( I feel more tired from doing this accounting, than I did from this weekend, in a way. What I WANT to do, is take fprom now til June off, and just go fishing..but I bet I won't get to do that, either. I guess it's better to burn out than fade away, like they say.

When we left the place the last Sunday in February, we just kept our 3 Corrientes that hadn't calved yet, and the 12 Fla Scrubs and Pineywoods I had bought last month, in the corral with a couple of round bales, because we knew they would all calve in the next 2 weeks. Scott called me yesterday and said he went by, and the 3 Corrs had calved with Corriente calves,-... all of them heifers... and 8 of my new ones had calved..6 black bulls and 2 black heifers. He just went ahead and tagged and steered them and let them back out into the pasture. The other 4 ought to come in the next few days. So, out of the 120 Corrs we bred to the 6 Ultrablack bulls, one was killed by a poacher and the other 119 had 114 Ultrablack calves. in about a 30-day window. This year we will be turning the bulls out probably Easter weekend with 99 cows, if we leave last year's 4 Corr heifers in They will be 14-15 months old, and I have concerns about the bulls Scott is planning on using this year. I want to wait til we put the Corriente clean-up bull in Memorial day weekend myself on those 4. I am not worried about the 95 cows, just not sure on the consistency of the crop next year. Over the years, we used Angus, then Brangus, and these last 2 years Ultrablack, with amazing results. I think we gonna end up with some horn or scurs, and some Simmental chrome next February. Those 5 or 6 bulls are all the same age, and there is probably 300lbs difference in the lightest and the heaviest, and 5 inches or so in shoulder height between the tallest and shortest, with them being varying percentages of Brahma, Chi-Angus, Black Simmental and Brangus.

Latest posts