We got babies!!! Goats that is.

Help Support CattleToday:

Toby L.

Reaction score
I don't really post on here very much, kind of like if I don't have anything to say I don't say it. I pop in time to time, to see what everyone's up to. Anyways, the wife's nanny goat had babies tonight. Kind of cute little things, their wagging there tails already. We only have 2 goats, they just run around the property and don't bother anything. The kids like them, so I think there staying. The other one is due soon also. We have the nanny and babies in a 3 sided lean to and I put a bunch of hay around them, kind of like a nest. I also threw a 500 watt work light in there so they could have some heat. I don't think it's going to get very cold tonight, it's around 20 now. So does anyone see any problem with them getting to cold? I think they should be fine, but the wife worries. :roll:

Whatever you do don't bring them in the house, because you risk them getting pneumonia when you return them to the barn. If momma is feeding them they will be just fine. As my teacher used to say "Keep them warm from the inside".

FFACOWGIRL":2y146j80 said:
Whatever you do don't bring them in the house, because you risk them getting pneumonia when you return them to the barn. If momma is feeding them they will be just fine. As my teacher used to say "Keep them warm from the inside".
Thanks for the fast response. My wife was talking about taking them in the house tonight. I thought that it would be a bad idea. There eating already, and I'm sure they will be just fine.

Don't know a thing about goats...except that goat babies are as cute as cow babies...and that takes a lot for me to say that! I wish you and wife much luck with them...

Alice

Don't know anything about goats either but a few pictures of them if you could would be nice. All babies are cute. and as Alice said Good luck with them.

Sounds like they should be fine with your setup. I love baby goats! I used to have a nanny and I got three sets of twins out of her...so much fun! Almost as cute as calves! They are so funny when they get a little bigger and start hopping around...have fun with them!

Toby L.":2v9l3qdp said:
Kind of cute little things, their wagging there tails already.

You think they are cute now, wait until they figure out how to jump, spin, run, buck, hop, etc.! They are hilarious at that point - I have 40 of the little darlings running around out in the pens.

We only have 2 goats, they just run around the property and don't bother anything.

I'm thinking that might be about to change! ;-) :lol2: :lol2:

We have the nanny and babies in a 3 sided lean to and I put a bunch of hay around them, kind of like a nest. I also threw a 500 watt work light in there so they could have some heat. I don't think it's going to get very cold tonight, it's around 20 now. So does anyone see any problem with them getting to cold? I think they should be fine, but the wife worries. :roll:

Considering this is their first night, and you live in Minnesota, you might want to consider trading in the 500 watt worklight for a 250 watt heat lamp. Kids cannot regulate their body temperature for the first 24 - 48 hours of life. Mine are kept in an open-fronted shed that is heavily bedded with straw, has a heat lamp, and a closed, tarp covered gate at the front of the pen at night for the first 48 hours in the winter. After that, they get kicked out into the main pen with a shed heavily bedded with either straw or trash hay.

FFACOWGIRL":2laautkz said:

Ummm, I don't think so. I've had kids in the house from anywhere from 4 hours right on up to 24 hours, and never had any of them develop pneumonia afterwards.

cowboy43":vi1zj6xq said:
At what age does a doe get to old to be productive and reproduce and raise good kids ?
The oldest does we had (dairy) were 11 and 12. They would kid OK but not milk enough to make them profitable

Since these are the first goats we've ever had, does anyone know how old before we can wean them for new owners? Had their horns debudded and they have both now been banded (boys of coarse) as well.

dun":fcwsja1q said:
cowboy43":fcwsja1q said:
At what age does a doe get to old to be productive and reproduce and raise good kids ?
The oldest does we had (dairy) were 11 and 12. They would kid OK but not milk enough to make them profitable

But that was in a for profit situation..How about just raising good babies, how old is too old?
I only know what a goat looks like and not too much more,excpt the babies are cute enough that you'll forgive them almost anything..

Toby L.":375hijic said:
Since these are the first goats we've ever had, does anyone know how old before we can wean them for new owners? Had their horns debudded and they have both now been banded (boys of coarse) as well.

I wean my bucks at 3 months of age, my doelings at 4 months of age. I also pull one kid at a time, every other week, or every two weeks depending on how she milks. That way, the mother has a chance to adjust her milk production and she is less likely to develop mastitis. I also have a friend who weans her bucks at 2 months, and her doelings at 3 months.

Latest posts