Waygu Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
The fall calving Waygu cows that have been here since spring left today. Well most of them. We hauled 42 head of cows in 5 loads. They went to greener pastures. Literally, from dry rangeland to flat irrigated pasture over by Baker. Three guys horseback with 5 dogs brought them down. There were a few other odds and ends that came in with them. One pair and a cow that is about to calf got hauled off seperate. Two pairs that belong to the neighbor got kicked back out. The count shows that they were still 8 head short so in a few days the hills will get searched again. In the mean time I will scout the water holes during the heat of the day to see if I can locate some of them.

I hauled one load. I told them I sure could tell I wasn't hauling calves. These old cows really packed on the pounds eating dry grass and walking a mile or more on steep ground to water.

_H Ranch said:
looks like the heat of the day in the photo. Thats when I like to siesta.
It was around 2:00 in the afternoon. Heat of the day you can find cows at the water holes. The pasture they were gathered out of has lots of breaks and draws with plenty of Junipers to hide behind. And it is about 700 acres. Gathering at the water holes is easier and more chance of success.

Dave said:
_H Ranch said:
looks like the heat of the day in the photo. Thats when I like to siesta.
It was around 2:00 in the afternoon. Heat of the day you can find cows at the water holes. The pasture they were gathered out of has lots of breaks and draws with plenty of Junipers to hide behind. And it is about 700 acres. Gathering at the water holes is easier and more chance of success.

You are smart. I just hate being out at that time, but sometimes you do what you got to do. Hope you get all of them.

Dave said:
The fall calving Waygu cows that have been here since spring left today. Well most of them. We hauled 42 head of cows in 5 loads. They went to greener pastures. Literally, from dry rangeland to flat irrigated pasture over by Baker. Three guys horseback with 5 dogs brought them down. There were a few other odds and ends that came in with them. One pair and a cow that is about to calf got hauled off seperate. Two pairs that belong to the neighbor got kicked back out. The count shows that they were still 8 head short so in a few days the hills will get searched again. In the mean time I will scout the water holes during the heat of the day to see if I can locate some of them.

I hauled one load. I told them I sure could tell I wasn't hauling calves. These old cows really packed on the pounds eating dry grass and walking a mile or more on steep ground to water.

Howdy neighbor- we are in Southern Oregon. Sure has been hot this week and its a great time to put them on irrigated. Dry grass is about done down here too. Hope you can get those stragglers in- :cboy:

We have the occasional Minnesota outlaw that tries to winter on snow and brush. What happens in dry country if the odd cow does not get gathered up?

Latest posts